Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overuse of spoiler tag

ddunit

It looks more organised in general, but it's easy to overuse it. As a loose rule I tend to organise things as in:

**Title**

**Introduction**
*Writing*

**Storyline**
*Spoiler*

**Features**
*Spoiler*

**Screenshots**
*Spoiler*

Contact and website info

D'ya think that's over use?

@Bonk:

> It looks more organised in general, but it's easy to overuse it. As a loose rule I tend to organise things as in:
>
> **Title**
>
> **Introduction**
> *Writing*
>
> **Storyline**
> *Spoiler*
>
> **Features**
> *Spoiler*
>
> **Screenshots**
> *Spoiler*
>
> Contact and website info
>
> D'ya think that's over use?

You don't need to put all your stuff in damn spoilers.

Take a look at this one:
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,45302.0.html

@Bonk:

> I suppose. Or do you think putting most of the info in diagrams and pictures? But they're hard to view on Mobiles :/

You're not going to play Eclipse games on a mobile, are you? This is a forum about computer MMORPG development. Deal with it.

@Draken:

> I like people that use spoilers they help slow connections load pages quicker.
>
> No reason for it to load up all the screen shots, game UI or anything else if I just want to look at their story line.

Might aswell put the whole post in a spoiler tag, if we follow your logic.

Well then the storyline is in with the pictures, so no, that's wrong.
There's a reason they're there and a reason they're useful. You might not like them, but I know that if someone posted a huge wall of text and pictures it would be a huge tl;dr-fest.

@DDunit:

> Might aswell put the whole post in a spoiler tag, if we follow your logic.

um no only the images
since if whole post was in one you would still need to let it load up.

txt doesnt take long to load images do, therefore if you spoiler tag images then it wont take as long to load since it will only be loading the text.

I'm fine with spoilers. As said before, it helps slower connections load it faster. Generally, I follow the rule of long post gets a spoiler. A list of features? No, because it doesn't take up any more than five lines (unless you're the type that adds in things that everyone has) However, things like storylines (my stories are LONG. Just read Alley Cats if you wanna know how long they get) need spoilers so that people don't have to scroll a ton. I always put images in spoilers, though my threads tend to be image-heavy.

It truly depends on your topic for how much you need to use spoiler tags. Sure, they're often overused, but that's a good thing as much as it is a bad thing.

@Lady:

> My game has a storyline and it works out just fine. It depends on how the game is built.

A storyline is more like a prequel to the main quest. The lore is what makes up the world. On this forum, most storylines just end up being a setting for their game.

@DDunit:

> A storyline is more like a prequel to the main quest. The lore is what makes up the world. On this forum, most storylines just end up being a setting for their game.

Yeah, so there's in the end a difference. Lore is often what happened years before the character gets his paws (lololol) onto the game, whereas storyline is what sets him into the game.

@DDunit:

> A storyline is more like a prequel to the main quest. The lore is what makes up the world. On this forum, most storylines just end up being a setting for their game.

In the past I've seen games other people have made or that I've worked on that use storylines.  However, most MMOs just have lore, not real story.