Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steam Paid Mods

Marsh

Well Valve took them away now. Personally I believe paid mods shouldn't be a thing unless the mod is extremely high quality and is worth it's price. $5 for a candy cane sword wouldn't be worth it but $5 for something that adds 3 towns, 10 quests, etc would be.

> I vote mods are made to be free unless the creator charges for them, they should be a hobby, not a source of income.

Why is that? What forces something to be a hobby and not a job? They work 8 hours a day trying to make a living. Then go home and spend there free time making free content. They already do it because they love it. But if they were payed they could be putting 8+ hours a day into these mods. They would be bigger and better then you have ever seen.

> Well Valve took them away now. Personally I believe paid mods shouldn't be a thing unless the mod is extremely high quality and is worth it's price. $5 for a candy cane sword wouldn't be worth it but $5 for something that adds 3 towns, 10 quests, etc would be.

What something is worth is entirely up to the buyer. You can go buy 800$ a spoon caviar, not worth it to me worth it to others. 1$ may not be worth anything to you but 10 minutes of fun is worth 1$ to me. If you dont like the price dont buy it. Its that simple. Free mods will still exist.

Random fact: I determine if something is worth it by the following formula: How make I make per hour / How much time I enjoyed this thing. For example if i make 10 dollars a hour for 10$ I should get about one hour of fun. So a 60$ game should net me about 6 hours. Anything after that is gravy.

I'm one of the people who says that you shouldn't make a living on video games, I realize you can, but it doesn't add much to society except a fun get away and procrastination tool. Games are meant to be fun, not to make companies like they do. But who am I to say, it's only my opinion.

> I'm one of the people who says that you shouldn't make a living on video games, I realize you can, but it doesn't add much to society except a fun get away and procrastination tool. Games are meant to be fun, not to make companies like they do. But who am I to say, it's only my opinion.

Where is the line drawn? What about movies? That is just procrastination. Why do we create entertainment products of any kind?

I think if the person that created the mod wants to charge for his work then that is his prerogative.

I rarely if ever purchase additional content, and the last time i dealt with Steam was with Portal 2, so I'm not familiar with what they are doing… But if Steam is charging for mods that were originally free, then that is bull.

I cant stand dlc... maybe i'm just old school, but to me it seems like companies are more interested in milking every drop out of games now. It used to be you bought the game and that was it. You had to wait until the next FULL game. Everything that you could get in the game was already included. I can see charging dlc for new missions, or a bunch of maps, as that is similar to a follow up game, but as an example if i buy Mortal Kombat, i should get all the fighters, and not have to buy the others as individual characters.

I guess it depends. When I look at a mod and compare it to a game - sure the mod is made for a game but a mod is also made by someone and that someone worked to make it, maybe not hard but it'd be good to make money off their own work.

> I'm not familiar with what they are doing… But if Steam is charging for mods that were originally free, then that is bull.
>
>  
>
> I cant stand dlc… maybe i'm just old school, but to me it seems like companies are more interested in milking every drop out of games now. It used to be you bought the game and that was it. You had to wait until the next FULL game. Everything that you could get in the game was already included. I can see charging dlc for new missions, or a bunch of maps, as that is similar to a follow up game, but as an example if i buy Mortal Kombat, i should get all the fighters, and not have to buy the others as individual characters.

Steam is not charging for mods that were free. They simply put a system in place that allows modders to charge. You can still put mods up for free and all mods stayed free unless the owner decided to charge for it.

I know what you mean about the DLC it is pretty retarded. I agree that the expansion pack dlcs are generally worth it but everything else is just ruining the games.