Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VX vs XP

SuperWeegee1

Not sure if this is the right area of this topic, but oh well.

For a MMORPG, is RPG Maker VX or XP graphics better? XP seems to have more options, but VX is starting to appeal to me…..ARGH! I CAN'T MAKE UP MY MIND! Help me :sad:

And if you say VX, please send me a link to a good generator for it :embarrassed:

@Fuu:

> Your own graphics would be better. If you don't want a half-assed game, that is.

If anything, **he should** start his game off with place-holders. They will speed up his overall productivity immensely.

I'd say I prefer VX (just because people can't pull off XP very well).

@Alexander:

> If anything, **he should** start his game off with place-holders. They will speed up his overall productivity immensely.
>
> I'd say I prefer VX (just because people can't pull off XP very well).

Exactly. Would it really matter what the place-holders are? He's not talking about place-holders. He's talking about final product graphics.

well i think vx ace is the best one but with that said, i still think elcipse is better no matter what they got going on its still too slow. using a rgss3… some new sprite format and tilesheet format... ingame character creator.  its meh for a established company like enterbrain.
http://rpgmakervxace.com/tkool/products/rpgvxace/

so if i had to choose between the 3 id definately choose vx ace.

@Alexander:

> If anything, **he should** start his game off with place-holders. They will speed up his overall productivity immensely.
>
> I'd say I prefer VX (just because people can't pull off XP very well).

We both know it's not a matter of placeholders. Fuu is kind of right. Placeholders might as well be graphics made in 20 minutes via paint. Making a poll about placeholders? I don't think so.

@Kusy:

> We both know it's not a matter of placeholders. Fuu is kind of right. Placeholders might as well be graphics made in 20 minutes via paint. Making a poll about placeholders? I don't think so.

Why would he poll about perma-graphics if he can't even use them legally? He obviously wants to use one or the other. If he decides to go anywhere with his game, he will make his own graphics.

OP <- Look for _Mack's_ set. They are his own rendition (I think) of VX's style, but cleaned up without all the alpha-channel crap.

He never said anything about finalizing his game, guys. He just wanted an opinion of what would be better. VX, being simpler to use, would be a wiser choice for him. I was assuming they would be place-holders because most game developers move on to using their own custom graphics eventually.

@Robin:

> -snip-

Maturity<3

::EDIT::
By "alpha channel crap," I mean't they don't have a ton of fragmented pieces making one set the transparent color easier than normal VX tiles.

Giving him another suggestion doesn't answer his original question. It helps, but doesn't answer his question.

If you refer to the original post, you'll find that there are two options to choose from: VX or XP. If you opt. for one or the other you should provide sufficient evidence on why you think he should go down that route.

I have done that. Why argue against me when I'm answering his question?

@Patrick0809:

> vx graphics are very nice
>
> i find the vx graphics better than the xp
>
> but it´s only my opinion :)

VX does lack in scalability. You can only make trees that are only so big. XP doesn't run into this problem. I've seen XP used very well by a few users (one of the currently active ones is Anna). It depends on how you plan on doing your game. I'd say XP is also more dynamic in the sense that it can span across multiple game genres with ease; VX is mainly meant for top-down RPGs.

@SuperWeegee1:

> OK…....thanks for the feedback that I did get out of this bunch of posts...
>
> To the people calling me an idiot for VX vs XP, Winfield had the right idea. They are placeholders until I can get decent custom sprites up and running.

Then you had no reason to make this post. It doesn't matter what your placeholders are. Unless you post pictures, _no one_ is going to see them.