Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which programming language should I learn @.@

Jacquelinett

Boko hits some good points, start small when you finally hit C++, don't rush into 3rd party libraries.  Stick to basic applications (not games) until you get a solid foundation.

As for flash.  Skip flash.  It's easy, but it's about to go the way of the doodoo bird if you follow any tech news.  Adode has pulled the plug on Flash and is focusing all of it's future endeavors on HTML5, so skip flash.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rob:

> Boko hits some good points, start small when you finally hit C++, don't rush into 3rd party libraries.  Stick to basic applications (not games) until you get a solid foundation.

Eh, I'll have to disagree with you there. 2 months after I started learning C++ I immediately started using SDL + OpenGL, and it's come along nicely. It's a lot easier to progress if you can see that your knowledge can actually be applied to game development and not just some console application.

With that being said, I recommend learning all the basics like data types, arrays, pointers/memory management, functions, classes, etc before you start with SDL or OpenGL. The more difficult things like complex algorithmic functions  can come later when it can be applied. I also suggest learning C as well since classes/OOP isn't always used in some libraries (ex. SDL).

However, judging by the OP's knowledge so far, I would suggest learning C as a starting point for non-OOP or Java as a starting point for OOP. The tough parts like memory management won't be applied immediately, but should be learned fairly fast. C was my first programming language because it didn't contain all the unnecessary OOP constructs that Java forces you into. If the OP wants to do more OOP with C++ later on, Java should serve as an intro to it.

Just my opinion.

@Robin:

> You've never done any sort of real programming work, have you?

If you mean paid work, no. I'm not a professional, but what I read on Gamedev.net tells me that people use python. I tried to tell them no once, and I got raped on for a week.

@Jungle:

> Eh, I'll have to disagree with you there. 2 months after I started learning C++ I immediately started using SDL + OpenGL, and it's come along nicely. It's a lot easier to progress if you can see that your knowledge can actually be applied to game development and not just some console application.

I wouldn't say two months is rushing.

@Frostyy:

> If you mean paid work, no. I'm not a professional, but what I read on Gamedev.net tells me that people use python. I tried to tell them no once, and I got raped on for a week.

Doesn't matter whether what you say has any relevance or not. Trying to talk about something you know absolutely nothing about will have people knocking on you no matter what you say.

@Robin:

> Doesn't matter whether what you say has any relevance or not. Trying to talk about something you know absolutely nothing about will have people knocking on you no matter what you say.

I thought I knew some about python after using it for a while and reading through the python and pygame websites. Now I know enough to say that they were talking about games that used python at the same time as C++ or C, like Eve.

@Captain:

> Please Robin don't start this again. I find it funny that Azure can actually spot things out better than I can, and I got 20/20 vision in the test last time.

Yes, but vision has very little to do with your problem solving abilities. Trying to correlate intelligence and reading ability is pretty silly considering it was a joke.

@Robin:

> Yes, but vision has very little to do with your problem solving abilities. Trying to correlate intelligence and reading ability is pretty silly considering it was a joke.

I just pay closer attention to most things because of the vision. I know you were just joking. He does have very poor problem solving skills… I left him in this box once....