Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cube World (Voxel Based, Random Terrain RPG)

SawQuart

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kusy:

> -snip-

I dunno, personal preference I guess. Randomly generated multiplayer games always intrigued me because you never get the same experience every time. The reason I don't go back and play all my old RPGs is because I have a very low attention span. Every time I open up a new world I instantly want to explore.

Together, Minecraft and HnH have both installed this love of randomness in me. It might just be nostalgia just like Zelda's pre-made maps are nostalgia for you. *shrug*

@MrMiguu:

> **@Kusy** Then don't play it, bro. We won't hate on you (or we shouldn't, at least).

I'm just reacting to people calling this being Zelda inspired. While the author maybe liked Zelda games, and they pushed him to making this one, I can't see how does that show in his game. I kind of miss the times when levels were made with gameplay in mind, not just depended on looking realistic or being great because they were randomly generated. That's actually not a problem of randomly generated games, it's a problem of a lot of games actually. I'd call it casualization of both gamers and developers. Games no longer need the players to think while they play, so developers decided that they don't have to do so while they develop.

I gotta agree with Kusy on generated map design. Although it's good for sandbox style games because it naturally gives some replayability, having specifically designed maps is necessary for a proper game narrative. But there can definitely be middle ground here, with more specific procedurally generated game content, or by mixing pre-designed areas with more random-generated areas. If the context of generation remains controlled by the narrative it could work.

I am waiting for a fps with new maps generated every single time. Then you dont have little kids who play the same map every day for 2 years straight. It will actually make people think. Im sure many people would hate this, however it could make for some very awesome city maps.

@Kusy:

> I'm just reacting to people calling this being Zelda inspired. While the author maybe liked Zelda games, and they pushed him to making this one, I can't see how does that show in his game. I kind of miss the times when levels were made with gameplay in mind, not just depended on looking realistic or being great because they were randomly generated. That's actually not a problem of randomly generated games, it's a problem of a lot of games actually. I'd call it casualization of both gamers and developers. Games no longer need the players to think while they play, so developers decided that they don't have to do so while they develop.

Generation takes a hell of a lot more time than actual mapping, so I don't think it's a lazy alternative. I kind of agree with you on some parts though, since I think realism and generation has been a bit overused lately.

@Keebler:

> I am waiting for a fps with new maps generated every single time. Then you dont have little kids who play the same map every day for 2 years straight. It will actually make people think. Im sure many people would hate this, however it could make for some very awesome city maps.

Agreed. Random generation should be used in FPS more than RPGs imo.

That was also something I was thinking, you can just fly around in the air and spam shots at people/monsters.
Might look boss, but might also be overpowered.
OHAND
What do you think the system requirements would be for this? I mean, my laptop can't even run
Minecraft well, so I don't think I'll even be able to play this. ;c