Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Learning Visual Basic

Rainbow Dash

I've been reading through [these](http://visualbasic.freetutes.com/learn-vb6/) and I can't really take any of it in. Has anyone got any good tutorials to help me get off the ground with programming? How did you all start to learn? Is there anything I can do to make it simpler? Thanks in advance.

@Rainbow:

> I've been reading through [these](http://visualbasic.freetutes.com/learn-vb6/) and I can't really take any of it in. Has anyone got any good tutorials to help me get off the ground with programming? How did you all start to learn? Is there anything I can do to make it simpler? Thanks in advance.

Well I've always jumped into things, seeing if I can figure them out without having to look at the help files or a tutorial :cheesy: I would suggest taking a look on youtube for some videos as having a video where someones is talking seems to help :P

@Zeropan:

> It'd be really nice if this community leave away from VB6\. Not trying to bash or anything its just VB6 is sooo outdated. Imagine using C plus instead. Eclipse would be sooo much better and efficient.

C++ is older than VB6\. Stop talking about things you have no understanding of.

@Robin:

> C++ is older than VB6\. Stop talking about things you have no understanding of.

You don't even get my point do you? You know how well would games run if C plus is used vs VB6 rehashing slow coding when it comes alogrithm(VERY POOR SUPPORT OF OBJECT ORIENTED). And you know how many people this community would attract and how well other people can make it even better because of the available engines that supports c plus plus vs abandoned VB6 that people couldn't even get a copy of unless ofcourse torrent and stuff. There's a reason why microsoft leave VB6 and I hope this community realize that too. Again, not trying to bash or anything. Just saying
and please look up DLL hell

@Zeropan:

> -snip-

All you've posted there is a load of accusations and not a shred of proof. I couldn't care less about abstract design paradigms or your personal opinion of a language.

This country's entire medical system is built on a language made in the '70s which doesn't use data types and is restricted to 1,500 lines in a procedure. I should know, I develop it as a full time job. Does that mean we're going to throw a hissy-fit and re-program it in C# because that's the popular thing now-a-days? No.

The simple fact is that you're adopting popular opinion and regurgitating the tired excuses of people who have nothing better to do with their time than preach their opinions on the internet.

My software does its job and it does it well. That's all I care about and no amount of crying is going to change that.

So far, Robin has a lot more substance to his VB6 argument than Zeropan does for his C++ one. What kind of indie developer needs a powerhouse language like C++ running their game when they probably can't even handle pointers or many of the other benefits that C++ provides?

The point is: they can't.

Tutorials mean very little.

Get Origins and mess around with it. Explore the code. Find out what happens when you remove something. Find out what happens when you add bits here and there.

When you find something you want to add that gives you a goal. Work towards that goal. Google for parts you don't understand or need help with.

Most self-taught programmers go down the same path. It's just down to exploration and experimentation.

Learning from Tutorials

Pros;
It tells you everything you need to know.
It's a step-by-step guide.

= Perfect, right? No.

Cons;
It tells you everything. In fact, it tells you EVERYTHING YOU CAN POSSIBLY WANT TO KNOW all at once, for each level. As a result, you're filled with 90% shit you don't need right that second to learn how to make "Hello World!" appear.

Also, in conjunction with the above, you're forced to go with the pace of the tutorial. If you try to fast forward to go at your own pace, you miss vital tid-bits of information that are 2/3rds of the way in a wall of text.

Learning from previous existing programs and then working on your own little projects

- Go at your own pace.
- See what you need and replicate what you need.

- Stuck? Google a specific tutorial to help you over that bridge.

**TL;DR LULZ**

What Robin said.

@Zeropan:

> You know how well would games run if C plus is used vs VB6 rehashing slow coding when it comes alogrithm(VERY POOR SUPPORT OF OBJECT ORIENTED).

Object-oriented programming hasn't anything to do with improving the performance of an application. You don't need support for it, a programming language like C or Visual Basic, in this case, is actually easier to use than the horror that is C++ or C#, given that you are using the right library/libraries to support you.

@Zeropan:

> There's a reason why microsoft leave VB6 and I hope this community realize that too. Again, not trying to bash or anything.

Yes, the reason is that they want to sell new products, such as the non-express editions of their .net IDEs.

@Zeropan:

> and please look up DLL hell

The concept 'DLL hell' has nothing to do with Microsoft Visual Basic 6 specifically, but the horrible management of shared libraries on Microsoft Windows instead.

Yours faithfully,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> Object-oriented programming hasn't anything to do with improving the performance of an application. You don't need support for it, a programming language like C or Visual Basic, in this case, is actually easier to use than the horror that is C++ or C#, given that you are using the right library/libraries to support you.
> Yes, the reason is that they want to sell new products, such as the non-express editions of their .net IDEs.
> The concept 'DLL hell' has nothing to do with Microsoft Visual Basic 6 specifically, but the horrible management of shared libraries on Microsoft Windows instead.
>
> Yours faithfully,
>   Stephan.

It turns me on when you talk about computers.