Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The life of Eclipse and VB6

whitespirits

Honestly, in my opinion don't even use Eclipse anymore, don't use Visual Basic! It's a great programming language but it's not really cut out for online games. Eclipse used to be a top-notch awesome kickass ORPG engine, but now flash into summer of 2015 you have so MANY other choices like Unity, Unreal, etc… or even build your own in-house engine using a better language like C# or Java. It is not the look of Eclipse that is bad, it's the programming language. If you want to make a topdown 2D ORPG. Great! but use a different language, code your own language or port Eclipse to C#.

Orion is bad. Don't use it. It is basically VB6 in VB.NET. VB.NET has a lot of improvements that were never realized in the port.

There are plenty of engines farther along that use proper OO programming. Procedural programming is an old form of programming that is harder to maintain over long periods of time.

https://github.com/hilts-vaughan/OpenORPG

PandaCoder and Vaughan are actively working on this engine, it is the best ORPG engine that is open-source right now. If you are concerned with getting a high player count on your servers, you are obviously super inexperienced anyway. I doubt you will get those numbers. Not saying that use VB6 cause of that, but these old engines have way more features. The choice is up to you. If you know how to program really good, I suggest going C# otherwise mess around in VB6 to learn the ropes. This is what I have been doing for a long time, and I have no regrets.

@'GalacticGlum':

> Honestly, in my opinion don't even use Eclipse anymore, don't use Visual Basic! It's a great programming language but it's not really cut out for online games. Eclipse used to be a top-notch awesome kickass ORPG engine, but now flash into summer of 2015 you have so MANY other choices like Unity, Unreal, etc… or even build your own in-house engine using a better language like C# or Java. It is not the look of Eclipse that is bad, it's the programming language. If you want to make a topdown 2D  ORPG. Great! but use a different language, code your own language or port Eclipse to C#.

I'd also like to state Hacker (guy above) is a novice in both fields. First time I'm pointing this out even though he's posted a lot about how great/bad something is when he's spent like a month with unity and thinks he knows everything.. He was using vb6 a few months ago (for about a month?) like most people here. Use whatever you want to use. Consider cross-platform/mobile etc and see what engines tick that box. I'm still using a really old vb6 engine its more enjoyable to work with than my Unity MMORPG.

TL;DR

Don't listen to the guy I quoted he's new with VB6 AND Unity but pretends he's not. Use whatever suits your needs.