Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Firefox vs Chrome

deathtaker26

So this is seemingly a never ending argument on the internet: Which is better Firefox, or google chrome?

My Argument: **Firefox is better!**

Firefox is indeed better than google chrome. Just because you can simply get chrome to load faster on your computer doesn't really mean it's better. In fact google chrome really runs slower and takes up more processor allocation so your other programs run slower.

How is this? Simple, google chrome opens up several processes to run as you continue to browse. So you might have open 1 google chrome but how many processes are being used. Well if you open up you taskmanager you can clearly count how many chrome.exe's are loaded, I've counted 4 using well over 10,000 k each. This is pretty harmful.

But that's google chrome's down features, so now lets talk about Firefox's features. Firefox runs only 2 simple processes on your computer firefox.exe and firefoxplugincontainer.exe both of which run under 20,000k each if you only have about 2 or 3 tabs open.

In addition to firefox's nice allocation firefox also has a large variety of addons and plugins. Some of my favorite being: foxyproxy, editcss, and we can't forget firebug. Many of which are used by web developers world wide. These add-ons also allow us to view our websites in many screen resolutions, view in other rendering modes that fit internet explorer and chrome, and it allows us to validate our work so we can make our layouts enjoyable for users no matter what there browsers are.

And finally, Mozilla firefox is also open sourced! This means that you can freely download the code used to develop Mfirefox and edit it freely. How does this help though? Well, with the 1000's of developers around the world, we can improve the application(firefox) itself to fit basically any user, This means that firefox is 100% customizable.

So in conclusion: Firefox is indeed better than Google Chrome.

Let me know your opinion below. Please be sure to support your opinion with facts and background information!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You, sir, are very misinformed..

Chrome is also open source:
http://www.webkit.org/

Chrome has more, and better addons and plugins:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

and as far as web standards go, when using CSS3, Chrome wins that one by just a hair.

I use Firefox, but that's mostly because I haven't had the chance to really try out Chrome. I have herd good things about Chrome, and may try it out. I have been using Firefox since the dawn of it's existence, and I can honestly say that it's very resource hungry. I often find with multiple tabs open (because who really doesn't have more then one tab open?) it takes up uber memory, I find it hard to have Photoshop open with Firefox at the same time, and Itunes, well, that's just another story. I usually end up closing firefox due to it's demand. Photoshop>Itunes>Firefox.

I do like it's selection of mods and crap, but if Chrome can offer the same and load faster/take up less resources, I will likely switch.

Looks like I will be testing this out tonight!

@Mr.:

> IE6

I lol'd

> You, sir, are very misinformed..
>
> Chrome is also open source:
> http://www.webkit.org/
>
> Chrome has more, and better addons and plugins:
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
>
> and as far as web standards go, when using CSS3, Chrome wins that one by just a hair.

Okay I admit I was misinformed about google chrome's open source but I have to disagree on the addons part. Once google chrome gets addons such as firebug than you can tell me that chrome has better addons.

Plus most of chrome's addons look like games and activities… not something I really use the web for >_>

and a lot of the chrome addons cost money, most of firefox's are free.

> Once the Chrome plugins I need for web development and adblocking have matured to the level of the Firefox ones I'll jump ship.

I might change my opinion a bit, but Not completely.

Chrome is more streamlined than Firefox. It's just a matter of time before all the bells and whistles get tarted up as well.

Until then I'll stick with Firefox, but if you've ever used it in a professional environment then you'll know that the stability and performance is lacking.

@Robin:

> Chrome is more streamlined than Firefox. It's just a matter of time before all the bells and whistles get tarted up as well.
>
> Until then I'll stick with Firefox, but if you've ever used it in a professional environment then you'll know that the stability and performance is lacking.

oh, I've realized that firefox too has it's downs, I won't lie that it does crash often if you try to load up too many flash or java applications but really, who loads up a lot of applications like that at once. I mean an example who would load up: Runescape, Playlist, Facebook, Twitter, youtube, and smosh all at once -_- these are just examples

@Crest:

> Plus most of chrome's addons look like games and activities… not something I really use the web for >_>

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/app/11-web-development?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon HERP

And no, most of the 'apps' are free. And if you see a paid one, there is a free alternative somewhere.

I switched to chrome for a period of about 6 months. It forgot my settings constantly and would tell me upon every startup. It would keep randomly showing populer web pages i told it to hide before that feature disappeared altogether. The first webpage i went to after starting chrome would always take like 20 seconds to load while firefox is always instant.

I have no idea why i had so many problems with it. I tried updating to no avail.

Chromium is better than both.

/thread

Also where is your evidence to suggest that firefox is faster than Chrome? Having a process per tab actually makes it /faster/.
You've never used firefox on a shitty computer have you? Firefox is so fucking laggy on my laptop with 512mb ram and 10gb disk space; whereas chrome goes fast.