Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just had the biggest rush of nostalgia…

SawQuart

I just opened up my case of PC game discs and memories just came back. This will probably make all of you older guys feel old because these games are relatively new, but they surely shaped my childhood. I played SNES games as well during my early childhood (ages 4-8), but my later childhood (6-12) was completely dominated by PC games.

Here are some of the ones I just found:

**Backyard Baseball/Soccer/Basketball/Hockey**
My family was really into sports, so this was my first introduction. Plus, it was geared for younger kids. Anyways, it introduced me into _real_ PC gaming and not those early drawing games on my mother's '90s Macintosh.

**Zoo Tycoon 2**
My first tycoon game. It sparked my interest in creative games. I remember going to my friend's house after he got a huge "Tycoon Deluxe" package with all the Tycoon games. So much fun.

**Rollercoaster Tycoon 3**
I played the first RT at my friend's house and later bought RT3\. It amazed me. It was my second rollercoaster game and further sparked my interest in creative games.

**Flight Simulator X**
My other friend had one of the early Flight Sim games that I played at his house. I remember how we would always wait around or hours while our plane flew to Canada, mesmerized. Later on, I bought FSX, tried giving FSX to my grandfather to try (he was in the Airforce), and he said that it was harder than flying a real plane.

**Civilization IV**
Oh wow. Where do I begin. This is the game my friends would come over for. My computer could barely handle it but it'd spend hours playing it on end (which was a long time back then). This game was my formal introduction into government strategy games and I loved it. It STILL helps me out in History class to this day. I remember looking through the developer interviews about game design– It impacted me so much that I attribute that moment as my formal introduction into this industry. Without CivIV and the developer interviews, I would have never found or been interested in Eclipse.

I could go on about this and include all the games that I don't still have the disks to, but that would be a waste of time considering the hours it would take me to talk about them all. Any stories of your nostalgia? Preferably based around PC games, no matter how early they were.

@Zonova:

> There's no Final Fantasy game on the list… i'm so disappointed.
>
> And i Still play Flight Simulator X. That game was golden... which is ironic, since i have the gold edition :3

I was never into Fantasy RPGs. Dunno why. The first RPG I ever played was Runescape… And that's not singleplayer. I've actually never played a singleplayer RPG besides a Harry Potter gameset I got when I was 10.

@Jungle:

> **Civilization IV**

It's hard for me to feel nostalgiac with this one because I played the shit out of it until Civ 5 came out, and even then I would play it often. When Skyrim came out I stopped playing it though, maybe I'll get back into it. It's a great game.

@Kusy:

> The duck Jungle? What are you? 13 years old? It's like saying that you feel nostalgic playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I played it back during mid-Elementry School. I'm now halfway through High School. I know it hasn't been long in your mind, but in my mind it seems like a whole different century.

@i:

> where is pong or frogger or tron? your nostalgia fails….

Can't any of you read the OP? ._.

> I just opened up my case of PC game discs and memories just came back. This will probably make all of you older guys feel old because these games are relatively new, but they surely shaped my childhood. I played SNES games as well during my early childhood (ages 4-8), but my later childhood (6-12) was completely dominated by PC games.