Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to encrypt my graphics.

kibbelz

I am fed up with snotty nosed little kids stealing my graphics from my projects. I have seen it done before, however i am unsure how to encrypt my graphics, then read them in the game source and make it so that only i will be able to edit them. If anyone has any good help for me please spill the beans and tell me how x3.

~Kibbelz

@kibbelz:

> I am fed up with snotty nosed little kids stealing my graphics from my projects. I have seen it done before, however i am unsure how to encrypt my graphics, then read them in the game source and make it so that only i will be able to edit them. If anyone has any good help for me please spill the beans and tell me how x3.
>
> ~Kibbelz

This has been asked many times before. How will you stop people just printscreening your tiles and sprites?

Which way? In game or on the image viewer? Anyway if it is in-game they will have a lot of hard work removing the layers etc, and for viewing it on the image viewer you could change the file extension so the image viewer wont open it. It may still be possible for them to take them but at least it is some sort of barrier of defense rather than just the old copy'N'paste.

Any way what is your project?
ask ryoku hasu he know how to hide files  for his game maybe he help you
here is tutorial to you hide your files in any  jbg picture
http://www.marcofolio.net/how_to/hide_files_in_jpg_files.html

There is a method that was in the older eclipse versions for encrypting your graphics. It utilised an encryption algorithm that was decrypted only at runtime on a blit. This meant that the graphics didn't even sit in the memory buffer to be yoinked via third party utilities.

Without the source code to retrieve the decryption sequence it was difficult to compromise, even for a knowledgable programmer.

I would recommend you start your search in the older codebases.

@Baron:

> -snip-

I should include that this algorithm(it's more a class file) he is talking about also compress the bmp files.

I do have it but I don't plan on sharing it. I don't even want to share where I got the code from but…here it is. http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64749&lngWId=1

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Rithy58:

> -snip-

Yeah im fairly certain thats the exact same one I used when implementing it for EE. Zlib and all. Bloody marvelous.

EDIT - Bloody glad you had it mate, I'd lost the link a long time ago, I'd have to go dig through my Zeta builds.

@Rithy58:

> I should include that this algorithm(it's more a class file) he is talking about also compress the bmp files.
>
> I do have it but I don't plan on sharing it. I don't even want to share where I got the code from but…here it is. http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=64749&lngWId=1
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

If you use the "encryption" in this way it is hilariously easy to break.

* Download [**my Dynamic Link Library**](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/6b971a516b320d63d4d33de3312a4fb7.zip). Replace it with yours.
* Run your program or the program included as an example. When the decryption or encryption method comes up a message box containing the key will popup.

Other ways (assuming no DLL is used):
* Run a program that extracts strings from an executable (there are many, here is [my favorite](http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439.aspx)). Then just mess around until you find the proper key.* Disassemble the program and use knowledge of the existing program to know what to look for. With any luck the key will be hardcoded, or if not set a breakpoint and just wait for the key to roll in.

**That encryption is by no means perfect.**

Not to mention that RC4 has had successful attacks before. This is exactly why I discourage wasting your processor cycles encrypting and decrypting files on your local hard disk, where the key is encoded in your application.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.

besides…if they are using original work that you created it would more than likely be known that you created it/them to the people that matter.  Feel good that others desire your graphics and if you are really concerned about it copyright your data.

@Sicarii:

> besides…if they are using original work that you created it would more than likely be known that you created it/them to the people that matter.  Feel good that others desire your graphics and if you are really concerned about it copyright your data.

Imitation / duplication is after all, the msot sincere form of flattery :)

@Rithy58:

> I actually never really care about the graphic encryption lol. The graphics I used are not custom or anything. It was the compression that I was after since BMP files are so large.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

Use libpng to read PNG-files into memory. That works fine as long as you don't need the alpha channels.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.