Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i want to make a card game

omarrrio

Hello everyone, first off, i want to thank the maker of this engine, for his great work, and i want to ask if it is possible to turn the engine to make, instead of battles, duels with cards (Yu-Gi-Oh! Style), if it is possible, please tell me or at least give me some advice.

Thank you, Omar.

PS: if im in the wrong section, please move kindly the topic with no warning ^^

@Pete:

> I'm going to guess there are much better programs or engines out there for making a card game than Eclipse. The amount of work editing Eclipse to handle a card game may as well be put in to creating a new engine.

Not really. I'd say that making a card game with Eclipse wouldn't be that hard but thats jus me :P

Actually zesh, your not to far from the truth.

Really you would just have to make a new screen, rendering, then you make a card game sub-engine that transfers all the moves from one person to another and handles all the card data.

What he wanted is an MMO style game that you cant walk around, Collect cards, and challenge other people to the card game. I have many Ideas on how you could go about doing this, BUT i don't have the time or resources to do it without some cash incentive =P

@Ryoku:

> Really you would just have to make a new screen, rendering, then you make a card game sub-engine that transfers all the moves from one person to another and handles all the card data.

Yes, quite simple for this omarrrio to spend a month learning how to code, a week looking around at eclipse's source, and then finally starting to code stuff so he can _start_ the game.

If you have a good idea, a strong drive, the ability to adapt, and skills in art or programming then it should be fairly easy.

@Pete:

> That's like saying
> "I want a boat, so I'm turning my car in to a boat, just because it's here."
>
> Half-arsing things is how you end up with EE2.7

No, making a card game with EO is easy and you wouldn't 'half-arse' it if you knew what you were doing.

@Zesh:

> No, making a card game with EO is easy and you wouldn't 'half-arse' it if you knew what you were doing.

If you _knew_ what you were doing you would write an engine designed for your project rather than adapt someone else's work simply because it's more convenient.

@Pete:

> If you _knew_ what you were doing you would write an engine designed for your project rather than adapt someone else's work simply because it's more convenient.

So, I should have wrote an engine from scratch for my Pokemon game rather than adapting Eclipse for the project? Yea, not the best idea, especially when you have little or no programming experience like the author of the topic.

@Zesh:

> So, I should have wrote an engine from scratch for my Pokemon game rather than adapting Eclipse for the project? Yea, not the best idea, especially when you have little or no programming experience like the author of the topic.

You're missing my point.

If you can program well enough to completely change the purpose of an engine, you may as well write your own engine. It'd be much better because it's purpose built.

@Ryoku:

> And what part of He still wants an MMO feel to it did you not get? He still wants maps, playable characters, ect. He just wants to make a card game sub-engine in it too. For combining both MMO and a card game this is a great place to start.

This is my point. If Eclipse gives you most of what you need then there is no point of writing an engine from scratch.

@Ryoku:

> Hey zesh, Aren't you making a pokemon battle Sub-Engine for your game?

Correct. Now if I can integrate a Pokemon battle system into Eclipse then you can do the same with a card system.