Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Standing - Jungletoe [Melodic Dubstep]

SawQuart

Melodic dubstep is a lot different from regular "mainstream" dubstep, so please listen to Arkasia or Gemini before you say that it's not dubstep. It has techno/trance roots.

http://soundcloud.com/jungletoe/standing-jungletoe-melodic

Feedback appreciated. Downloads are <3

@Azy:

> Not bad, my first time listening to melodic dubstep. KIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSu0AZe054

I'm obviously not as good as this guy, but listen to the drop around 3:10 (preferably the whole song, but whatever).

I've never heard this kind of dubstep either but on comparison here are some thoughts because I actually have a few friends who are decent DJ's.. Regardless, the drop wasn't bad but not the best I've ever heard. the repetitiveness is kinda bad but then again maybe this kind of dubstep is supposed to be like that. Are those default loops and sounds because it seems like it. Needs to be a bit more mastered as that is a major part of dubstep music. And it lacked a lot of Bass. People who are hipsters and like dubstep normally enjoy filthy, annoying, dirty, nasty bass. :P

And I love and listen to a lot of Gemini. FTR. And I didn't mean to come off as a dick if I did. Just trying to help.

the bass kick needs to be way more compressed/louder.. i would add some reverb to the snare as well, or just replace it altogether since it sounds too clanky.. the transitions could also use more spunk, such as sweeps or whatever.. not bad though

edit: if youre aiming to sound like arkasia ull probably want better quality sounds, and better program for one (which come at a cost as im sure you know).. but some soft sounding synth pads and trance inspired vocals would definately take it to another level

@Murdoc:

> if youre aiming to sound like arkasia ull probably want better quality sounds, and better program for one (which come at a cost as im sure you know).. but some soft sounding synth pads and trance inspired vocals would definately take it to another level

I already have Massive VST, which is what most professionals use. The problem really isn't the synth, but rather the mastering and mix overall. I had lengthy discussion on the IDMForums (a music community) about what I did wrong. I basically relied on compression, distortion, reverb, and other things more than I should. The mix got extremely muddy as a result, so now it's beyond help.

I will take the advice about the soft synth pads though. I really need some nice ambiance in there for my transitions.

@Grizzy:

> Regardless, the drop wasn't bad but not the best I've ever heard. the repetitiveness is kinda bad but then again maybe this kind of dubstep is supposed to be like that.

It's not supposed to be like that. My lack of soft synths makes transitions hard so everything isn't smooth.

@Grizzy:

> Are those default loops and sounds because it seems like it.

No. I created everything by myself. I despise people that use other's loops.

@Grizzy:

> And it lacked a lot of Bass. People who are hipsters and like dubstep normally enjoy filthy, annoying, dirty, nasty bass. :P

I'm not Skrillex, nor do I like him. Look at dubstep's roots and you'll see that it used to be completely different before. Harsh basses annoy the hell out of me and aren't music– it's noise. That's why I like the new _Melodic_ Dubstep. It has techno influences and has melodies.

@Jungle:

> I already have Massive VST, which is what most professionals use. The problem really isn't the synth, but rather the mastering and mix overall. I had lengthy discussion on the IDMForums (a music community) about what I did wrong. I basically relied on compression, distortion, reverb, and other things more than I should. The mix got extremely muddy as a result, so now it's beyond help.
>
> I will take the advice about the soft synth pads though. I really need some nice ambiance in there for my transitions.

Massive does have some good sounds.. but to get a more professional sound its almost impossible unless you have the right platform, which is why I mentioned "program". For example I often use Fl Studio but I find the sounds blend together horribly sometimes (an added sound will drown out another and so on) .. having talked to you a bit b4 about this im assuming youre using a similiar low end production suite (from what I recall anyway).. whereas professionals often prefer Cubase or Logic, sometimes Reason which are all arguably better (especially Cubase and Logic) than Fl Studio. The vst instruments can make a difference but in the end the platform you use the virtual instruments in makes a huge difference. And even Massive is not the best virtual instrument, or digital sound, out there, it just happens to be popular. It lacks really good quality sounds (at least in my ear). Some high end midi devices like synth boards, drum machines etc plugged into Cubase or Logic can blow your mind. Then the rest is left to mastering of course. I say all this because I know that you could really kick it out, its just harder with limited production tools.