Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opinion On My First Instanced Boss Map

JohnPony

Im not a mapper, and am very bad at it, but i thought maybe i could get some feedback on this map

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/8c56231b5ff3c64d2bd8dfbb3a89d478.png)

Older Version:

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/2d1ac04e380d379424ad9ee264261bb8.png)

What should i change? What should i leave? What am i doing good? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

You should probably keep it as empty as possible because of the poor target finding of NPC's. Ranged chars may camp on the other side of the lava shooting down the boss w/o taking any damage, or, judging from the looks of it, 2 melee chars can trap the boss inbetween the pillar/statue while an rdps does all the damage.

@John:

> ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/8c56231b5ff3c64d2bd8dfbb3a89d478.png)
>
> Updated new map, how does it look now?

Much better, I like the squished/un-assembled  statue.

@[rose:

> link=topic=80353.msg860322#msg860322 date=1337902815]
> Cici, please quite quoting the first post.

Well how would they know which message I was talking about, there's a bunch of posts that I could have been talking about.

Also quit* not quite..

Grammar nazi.

And if you're commenting, and you DO NOT quote ANY post, 99% of the people on these forums know, especially by your context that you're talking about the op. Your posts have been very small compared to the op you're quoting which makes it hard to read.

Yeah like everyone else has already suggested randomly placing things and giving maps a more random feel always seems to come out much better so advice for mapping is don't think about it too much just do it but try to keep it realistic in away at the sametime.

@Niall:

> It's quite difficult to remove the linearity from fully tile-based maps. Implement offsets to tiles so you can fully break away from it looking square.

I completely agree, it can be hard to get random/natural looking maps.
This would be a good idea.

@Eckhart:

> Why would the person who designed  that room make random parts of the room jutting out onto lava? Also, add more random shit.

The room used be a full on throne room, when the king and queen switched sides (fire & water) the throne rooms were thrown into chaos. This is the result of the kings throne room.

I have not really had enough time to update it for 3 days because i have been on a trip, but ill try that out now :)

• 2 weeks later...