Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What about a remote server, like on yahoo? (will trade artwork for good help)

Shaunfroggydog

Computer wise, all I have left is my laptop, and it’s wireless internet certainly isn’t good for game hosting. However I buy commercial space on a yahoo.com server and haven’t used it for much. I can upload files to the server, but as far as I know there is no way to launch or control an exe file. As far as I know…but maybe there is a way? If I could just upload the game and run the server.exe it would run 24/7 (unless it crashes) which of course would be awesome. Hmmm does anyone know of any ftp style software that allows this sort of remote control? Or perhaps another solution? Ok well I don’t have photoshop right now, since my desktop has stopped working, but I can still draw some pretty cool stuff using simple paint. If you can help me out, maybe I can help you out. Alright thanks for your time…  -Shaun

Web hosts will now allow you to run exe files.

There is conversion tools that you can run Eclipse through to run in a web browser. But it is extremely slow and only works in internet explorer.

You could rent a windows server but they are generally pretty pricy. Linux is cheaper but you would have to run it through WINE to get it working.

@‭‭‭Marshy:

> There is conversion tools that you can run Eclipse through to run in a web browser. But it is extremely slow and only works in internet explorer.

Just to clarify, this would still require you to run the webbrowser 24/7\. It FAKES running it in your browser while it actually runs on the background of your computer. So no, hosting it on a webserver will not function ever.

> You could rent a windows server but they are generally pretty pricy. Linux is cheaper but you would have to run it through WINE to get it working.

Wine is all fun and games, but it also reduces the server speed slightly as it basically adds a compatibility layer between Linux and the Windows Libraries. Not to mention it is generally a major pain in the ass to get it to run your way. Also, most Linux VPSs come in command line only, so you'll need a moderate knowledge of the OS to get it to run your way.

@Shaunfroggydog:

> Ok so the yahoo server is pretty much useless. Alright well just checking. Thanks anyway for taking the time to answer. If you guys are having any trouble in the art world, maybe I can help you out just let me know.

Its not useless, it just cant do what you want it to do…