Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Application icon

Kazako

how do I change the application icon in vb6? I've tried putting in a .ico and a .bmp.

I've done the usual Google runaround (I shouldn't have to tell you I've done it, it sure as shit would be quicker if I could've gotten a working answer from Google) but none of the articles regarding it work, I get errors such as "Invalid Picture" when attempting to use it.

What am I doing wrong that it won't accept the image?

I did and it worked to get a reply.

Nice smart arse reply though, too bad I've already googled it myself, numerous times.

I've tried 16x16, 32x32, .ico and .bmp I've used three different .ico converters and none of it works, hence why I asked.

I would appreciate if you wouldn't put me on the same level as a majority of users here, I can assure you that I don't ask without having attempted it myself.

If I had to guess, your icon is a 32-bit per pixel ARGB icon. They're not compatible with VB6.
You will need to convert your icon to 24-bit per pixel. It will also need to be a .ico, no using JPGs or PNGs.

You can use something like IcoFX to make one properly if transparency is needed. Note that you can only mask a solid transparent block, you have no translucency options.

Full disclosure: I knew VB6 had a limitation but wasn't certain, so I confirmed it in 2 minutes by simply typing "vb6 icon invalid picture" into Google.

@'Exception':

> If I had to guess, your icon is a 32-bit per pixel ARGB icon. They're not compatible with VB6.
> You will need to convert your icon to 24-bit per pixel. It will also need to be a .ico, no using JPGs or PNGs.
>
> You can use something like IcoFX to make one properly if transparency is needed. Note that you can only mask a solid transparent block, you have no translucency options.
>
> Full disclosure: I knew VB6 had a limitation but wasn't certain, so I confirmed it in 2 minutes by simply typing "vb6 icon invalid picture" into Google.

Yeah I just found the stack overflow thing myself, installing icofx now.

I hadn't put the invalid picture part into Google, instead I was googling "vb6 icon not working" "how to make an icon vb6" - that type of stuff.