Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3D Eclipse a Success Project

Pazuzu

So many problems would arouse in a 3D version of eclipse it wouldn't be worth releasing in the first place.

The biggest concern i have is that networking in eclipse can barely handle 2D tile based movement as is, now imagine it trying to handle a 3D game with more then 4 players.

In the end, if you really want a 3D engine i would suggest going with a engine specified for 3D, or building one from the ground up in a proper language.

Regards,

General Pony

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> So many problems would arouse in a 3D version of eclipse it wouldn't be worth releasing in the first place.
>
> The biggest concern i have is that networking in eclipse can barely handle 2D tile based movement as is, now imagine it trying to handle a 3D game with more then 4 players.
>
> In the end, if you really want a 3D engine i would suggest going with a engine specified for 3D, or building one from the ground up in a proper language.
>
> Regards,
>
> General General Pony

Doesn't matter. More released knowledge is more released knowledge. I doubt many people will actually take it too seriously, but at least it's out there for those annoying newbs. We don't even have to provide documentation for it.

> Not to mention that 3D in VB6, as you can see in the OP's preview, can be incredibly difficult to write efficiently to perform at above a reasonable FPS.

He says that it was a recording issue… that's another reason why I want it to be released. I'm almost 100% certain that it would run at 20 FPS and no higher.

> He says that it was a recording issue… that's another reason why I want it to be released. I'm almost 100% certain that it would run at 20 FPS and no higher.

Years ago I tried to write a DX7 3D "preview" (wasn't a game, just a messing around) and it looked exactly like the OP's preview in terms of quality (speed/movement).

• 1 month later...
3d really opens up a whole new can of worms development wise because If your actually planing to go somewhere with a project your going to be competing with all the other 3d MMOs on the market. It's going to be very difficult as an Indie develop to build a 3d MMO of all things, your going to have to worry about models and textures which take quite a bit more time and are harder to make look good. You can how however create a very nice looking 2d game much easier as an indie developer. I've always said I would rather play a really nice looking 2d game than a bad looking 3d game. You can also hit the "retro" niche with a 2d game and that's really something you can't hit with a 3d game, your just another 3d MMO, which there are thousands of made by multimillion dollar companies.

> 3d really opens up a whole new can of worms development wise because If your actually planing to go somewhere with a project your going to be competing with all the other 3d MMOs on the market. It's going to be very difficult as an Indie develop to build a 3d MMO of all things, your going to have to worry about models and textures which take quite a bit more time and are harder to make look good. You can how however create a very nice looking 2d game much easier as an indie developer. I've always said I would rather play a really nice looking 2d game than a bad looking 3d game. You can also hit the "retro" niche with a 2d game and that's really something you can't hit with a 3d game, your just another 3d MMO, which there are thousands of made by multimillion dollar companies.

If you're looking to expand to the 3D market, this wouldn't be the program to approach that feat with.

As other & myself have stated countless times throughout this post, this is more of a "scholar" project, for educational purposes, and I'm sure OP can back me up there.

If you're looking to make any stable game in a 3D environment, you're going to need to either

A: Find a preexisting engine.

B: Gain the sufficient knowledge, or hire someone to make one for you.

Regards,

GP

Well my 3d project, did build up many argument around it but my project has other purposes too.

The project do started as a school science project and eventually i was developing it since then. My project also show the possibility of developing 3d version of eclipse and at the start of the project I never intended to release it at the first place. Here is a list of rumors busted during the project.

1\. it is possible to develop 3d engine using VB6.

2\. the engine developed does not show any significant decrease in FPS.

not much but it does show the rumors isn't right. It does consume more time to create the resources.

The question now is should I release it or not?

> Well my 3d project, did build up many argument around it but my project has other purposes too.
>
> The project do started as a school science project and eventually i was developing it since then. My project also show the possibility of developing 3d version of eclipse and at the start of the project I never intended to release it at the first place. Here is a list of rumors busted during the project.
>
> 1\. it is possible to develop 3d engine using VB6.
>
> 2\. the engine developed does not show any significant decrease in FPS.
>
> not much but it does show the rumors isn't right. It does consume more time to create the resources.
>
> The question now is should I release it or not?

Whoa.. k. Your second point? Every video you released looked like the engine was crawling at around 5 fps. This makes your first point pretty moot. That being said I applaud your bravery for at least attempting it and getting somewhere; although it isn't astounding it's better than what a majority of people on this site could do. 3D is a pretty intricate and feisty beast of a topic.