Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OSC Seeking Artist

Deathbreak911

(note: after original oversight I'm currently making a DevThread to showcase everything we're currently working on and have)

Hello everyone, I'm Casey coming to you from OSC. We're a bit of an older project coming out of Hiatus.

Who we're looking for

Pixel artists.The largest barrier we've had in creating OSC has been the stigma and legality of using RMXP sprites. The project originally went 'dormant' because of a lack of an artist.

The biggest thing we're focused on is dedication to the project. It is critical we do not begin large portions of development with a tileset only to lose support and have to restart.

What we're looking for

We're not completely abject to the RMXP style. However, we're open to stylistic changes to the whole thing. A heavy fantasy influence is the only thing that we're hoping to keep. Using other, legal-to-use tiles and building from that set is perfectly fine (including RMXP tiles that aren't the official).

What we have

Currently OSC is running off a modified Chaos Engine with many custom features. We have a clever programmer, dedicated mappers and music artists, and a dedicated server. We are trying to make an interesting, professional product for others to enjoy but during our development we simply have decided we cannot go without an artist or non-commercial graphics.

What is OSC

OSC stands for Order of the Silver Circle and aims to eventually allow itself to a community driven approach to gaming, as a surprising number of indie ORPG's have before it. We have no story set in stone as we're currently focused on making a robust engine and a large, interesting world to partake in.

Resource gathering skills, craft skills, enchanting, house-owning and building are already in the game (albeit mostly in code, with only a few dozen test items a piece) and we're looking to expand what players can do. Our current goals involve a revamp of the combat system to a faster paced more strategic system than the default, polishing the unique way some of the classes work (such as Truthspeakers, who combine individual parts of spells to make, say, an exploding ball of fire or a rising wall of ice on the fly), and developing simple systems that players can use to change the world around them (from dynamic quest systems like allowed by the event system offered here to ownership of areas and the perks that allows)

Reply in this thread, e-mail me at [email protected], or message me on steam at [steamcommunity.com/id/deathbreak911](http://steamcommunity.com/id/deathbreak911) to discuss the particulars of what we're looking for any how you can join the team. I look forward to talking to any of you soon.

[Note: The development team will open up to more people, including people who are already waiting to be placed on the team, after a 'base' has been established in which users can work with]

No screenshots because graphically we are obviously not ready for much. Thank you for reading and thanks for your time.

I recommend giving more info about what _kind_ of game you guys are wanting to create. Y'know, more than just a fantasy RPG. To lure in a real talent that'll work (for free?), you're going to have to give more information. Raise appeal. Right now there's nothing to distinguish your project.

> You should include if your going to be hiring them for free or paid work.

I have intentionally not included this so it can be up for conversation. Looking around the standard seems about $4 per 150*100 pixel set, which we aren't prepared to pay. Because of the scope of this project (moderate, I'd say. Not an iPhone app but we're not expecting an artist to recreate the amount of RMXP content that exists for free) it's really something I would want to talk about with someone on an individual basis. Content at this point is mostly focused on having a solid base in which we can expand upon later.

> Does anyone know what OSC is? i am curious about it

Currently congregating all information into a DevBlog! Sorry for the delay, everyone. Exam week! I made the assumption that I could post this and it'd go under the radar until the blog was finished but I was wrong. ![:lol:](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png) I'm trying to decide if this is fortunate or not.

> Some artists would be willing to work for a little nothing at all. Just the thought of working free wouldn't really motivate many people and could end up causing poorly made work. Although, a spot on a team could be a bit different.

Well we are hoping to fill out a larger team by the end, but I think having a very small start for artists is a blessing, perhaps. It's easier for two or three people to congregate and decide on the same specific artistic style than a large team. Having a set style with a small team before branching out is probably our best option.

I'm just saying, free work will always come last. Therefore you can't really expect a dedicated artist unless you have something to cause them to stay dedicated. If your expecting long term development, this wouldn't be a problem. If your short on graphics and expect a release soon, that's what i'm talking about.