Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need some advice on how I should shape my game's gameplay…

SawQuart

Ok, so I recently came up with an idea of how I can make my game more unique, and I have 2 ideas.

Basically, my game is too much like Crawle/Shitty HnH/2D Minecraft at its current state. I was thinking of ways to switch it up, and I thought about the Hunger Games. I know that there are Minecraft mods for it, but it occurred to me that a game like this could be extremely exciting and different since Minecraft Hunger Games Mods are more like Minecraft Hardcore than the actual hunger games. By Hunger Games, I mean wilderness survival mixed in with gladiator combat and PvP, traps, increasingly harder NPCs based on the game's length, and some horror aspects.

Here are some Pros and Cons for you to consider

**Pros**

-A game like this hasn't really been done before with wilderness survival (uniqueness)

-League of Legends and CoD have proved that quick match play can actually attract hardcore players along with the casuals

-I'd be a lot more motivated to make this game

-The current MMO style I've been developing has little to no direction

-It would be a lot easier on my computer to only run a 500x500 map instead of a 20000x20000 map

-After I finish the initial switch over to a Hunger Games-like gameplay server, I can add content a lot faster now that I don't have to worry about storage objects and villages

**Cons**

-I'd have to change a lot of my current game's code

-Death would be weird since I can't ban players until the match is completed (should dead players be ghosts?)

-No villages, which was an old feature I wanted to add

**Things to Consider**

-I can't do lobbies– instead there would be player-run servers (this is due to how the networking is currently set up)

-Should stats stick with a player after they die in a game? How do I reward players who win and punish those who lose while also motivating people to continue?

**NOTE: It won't be a rip-off of the Hunger Games– it would only mimic its style**

Agreed the concept is amazing I was aim for something survival in arena where you build weapons and your objective is to defeat your enemy team type thing. And player hosting the server is a good idea. As far a rewarding dont reward them unless its on like a "Ranked Server" that you host. That way theres no cheating/Boosting. That was my concept at least have fun :DD

There are enough 2D MMO's out there. If you have a relatively original idea, go for it.

I'm curious about how you'll deal with death. Being the first to die and becoming useless for the rest of the round doesn't sound all that appealing, but neither does being killed by the guy you just killed in a survival game.

> I'm curious about how you'll deal with death. Being the first to die and becoming useless for the rest of the round doesn't sound all that appealing, but neither does being killed by the guy you just killed in a survival game.

That's the biggest problem. I want to somehow make them ghosts or something, although I want them to interact with the game in some way. The problem with having dead people interact with the game is that:

1) Ghosts could be too powerful and you'd have clans that would purposely kill their team members to help them defeat an enemy

2) Ghosts could get mad at the person who killed them and keep doing things to them

On the contrary, I don't want somebody to die within the first 2 seconds of the game and have to wait an hour to do anything again.

> Isn't that what ghosts are supposed to do ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Well it would be kind of annoying and would stop people from killing people. Imagine if you killed some newby 12 year old and they keep shouting out your positions on the chat and giving away your raid plans. That would annoy me more than anything and could completely ruin the game.

> We're famous now!

![](http://i.imgur.com/R3BdNl.jpg)

I really liked where it was going earlier. Expand on the ancient americas thing. Maybe let people make tribes. Just make a rich experience with what you had earlier and it won't be too much like any game. Really I think making more focus on combat would detract from its uniqueness, as most games focus on combat.

Disclaimer: I read the OP only and didn't read any replies.

Having some sort of tribe system would probably help with this style of game. Since your basing it off of The Hunger Games style, although they where all fighting for themselves, they did start off as small 2 people tribes basically from their districts.

If you go with some kind of ghost system I would suggest only allowing ghost to talk to other ghosts then so they don't do things like reveal the players position who killed them. You could also look into some sort of mini-games for the ghosts to do with other ghosts like 1 on 1 arena fights between ghosts and little shit like that to kill time between games.

It would be neat if each person had his or her own world, sort of like tribal territory. And they would be able to join games with other people to make deals with the other tribe, wage war, or form an alliance to fight other tribes.

Of course you would need a sort of master server for this to work.

> It would be neat if each person had his or her own world, sort of like tribal territory. And they would be able to join games with other people to make deals with the other tribe, wage war, or form an alliance to fight other tribes.
>
> Of course you would need a sort of master server for this to work.

Yeah, if I used that then I'd have to completely rewrite a lot of stuff. I dont really want to have tons of servers running at once.