Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DirectX8 - Which is Better?

eddy34

Hello guys, I would take a doubt with you.

I had heard rumors that the DirectX8 (Crystal Shire) was better than that found in vbGORE and better than the Eletrified Events made ​​by "jsnider".

However, I got an Eclipse Origins 2.0 (Clean) and implemented them. The FPS engine that had the DirectX8 ("jsnider") was averaging higher than the Engine that had DirectX8 (Crystal Shire).

Could someone please give me an explanation with reasons which of the 2 would really be the best? Thanks! xD

Sorry for English. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

First off, eclipse is the best/last stadning and supporting vb6 engine. vbGore is dead and has been dead for quite some time. They now call themselves netGore wich is done in well… the .NET framework. As for the comparison between CrystalShire:DE and Eclipse Origins 2.0/2.3/3.0 or whatever we got now. Eclipse Origins 2.3 Event System is by far the easiest to use because everything is done via controls so there is no need to render. Downside is you need to have a really nice GUI to replace the ugly controls. Also DirectDraw 7 (DX7) is a little dated but its okay. I even still use it sometimes as practice. As For DirectDraw 8 (DX8) its a little easier to render stuff, once you get the hang of it, but starting out can be a female dog. So just practice. Its all a matter of opinion.

Do not quite understand your answer. xD

I just wanted to know if anyone can explain what DirectX8 has a better functionality.

The DirectX8 of Crystal Shire or DirectX8 of EO Eletrified Events made by "jsnider".

For I have heard rumors that the CSDE was better, but to apply both codes in a EO 2.0 (Clean Source code). DirectX8 of "jsnider" obtained a higher FPS.

I just want someone to explain what is best and arguments. ![B)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.png)

Dont go mixing codes now, cause your going to duck yourself over. Simply put; my personal opinion is that DX8 is better because it makes the game client faster without loads of clunky controls dragged all around the game screen. DX8 has more functionality in regards to graphics. .PNG files can be used, alpha blending, color schemes all that good stuff. People would argue that DX8 is more difficult to learn (or to do right for that matter). Thats about all I got for you. As for the FPS, thats multiple things, server hosting, client PC, ect.

I already did the two engines to be exact. I tested also, and both engines are 100% functional. xD

Just wanted a confirmation of the rumor, because the FPS eletrified events was better than the CSDE, however, wanted to know if have "something else".

> First off, eclipse is the best/last stadning and supporting vb6 engine. vbGore is dead and has been dead for quite some time. They now call themselves netGore wich is done in well… the .NET framework. As for the comparison between CrystalShire:DE and Eclipse Origins 2.0/2.3/3.0 or whatever we got now. Eclipse Origins 2.3 Event System is by far the easiest to use because everything is done via controls so there is no need to render. Downside is you need to have a really nice GUI to replace the ugly controls. Also DirectDraw 7 (DX7) is a little dated but its okay. I even still use it sometimes as practice. As For DirectDraw 8 (DX8) its a little easier to render stuff, once you get the hang of it, but starting out can be a female dog. So just practice. Its all a matter of opinion.

Okay. You've pretty much just gone and completely went off on a massive tangent. He wants to know which D3D8 engine has the best performance. Go read [the rules](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/131225-the-new-rules/).

Basically, first off you need to get out of the mind set that FPS is everything. Yes, it does mean better performance, but more functionality might lead to lower FPS. Secondly, I can't speak for JC Denton's D3D8 but I can safely say Crystalshire's is very clean. It does have it's problems yes, but it is very clean and pretty powerful. I personally use a simplified, fixed up version that you can find here: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/130272-clean-optimised-dx8/

I know FPS is not everything, but if I have two engines with the same code, the only difference is the DX8\. So one way of comparison will be the FPS since I'm on the same PC with the same processing and everything, right? xD

But … Thank you for the reply! I'll take a look at the link you DirectX8 passed.

I think once you get the hang of how to use DirectX8 it's really easy to make any menus you want.

Here's an example, I tried making a fullscreen thing in DirectX8, but the vb6 normal controls (textboxes,pictures,scrolls,etc) won't appear, so now I have to 'update' all stuff to being rendered in DirectX8 so far I already got the auction house window.

>! ![](http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8964/auctionu.png)

You guys all got the question wrong. (Or so I think)

> I got an Eclipse Origins 2.0 (Clean) and implemented them. The FPS engine that had the DirectX8 ("jsnider") was averaging higher than the Engine that had DirectX8 (Crystal Shire).
>
> Could someone please give me an explanation with reasons which of the 2 would really be the best? Thanks! xD
>
> What he means is he wants to compare the DX8 coding of both CS:DE and EO 3.0\. He ripped the DX8 from 3.0 and put it in 2.0 and gets better FPS than on CS:DE. And therefore asking which engine implementing DX8 (3.0 or CS:DE) is better.

Apparently, 99% of the forum are selective readers.

> Hello guys, I would take a doubt with you.
>
> I had heard rumors that the DirectX8 (Crystal Shire) was better than that found in vbGORE and better than the Eletrified Events made ​​by "jsnider".

Define "better".

In terms of how it renders graphics, and how it handles the Direct3D device, they're more or less identical. There are no two ways about it. You create a device to a rendering profile, load graphics into memory, and render.

> However, I got an Eclipse Origins 2.0 (Clean) and implemented them. The FPS engine that had the DirectX8 ("jsnider") was averaging higher than the Engine that had DirectX8 (Crystal Shire).
>
> Could someone please give me an explanation with reasons which of the 2 would really be the best? Thanks! xD

I suppose the main reasoning is because CSDE doesn't load all graphics into memory at the start. It loads the graphics on an as-needed basis, and really, due to VB6's lack of threading, and the inability to manage what is in memory (for the most part), it's quite typical that you'll have lag spikes. One way to manage this, would be to load ALL tilesets at the start, and for the likes of character sprites, keep them in load for a long time, and in terms of smaller items, spell icons, etc, keep them in load for a short period of time.

EO3 loads EVERY graphic at the start, so while it is more memory intensive, it means it doesn't need to constantly load and unload graphics, not putting the strain on processing.

> -snip-

> -snip-

Have either of you actually read the new rules thread?

It's exactly what Abhi2011 said. xD

Jowd, I say better both in terms of memory usage, such as stability, processing, etc..

His explanation was exactly what I was looking for. Very, very, thank you! ![^_^](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.png)

> I don't think crystalshire is clean at all …
>
> Directx8 is awfully coded in it even robin recognise this,

Take a look at the clean DX8 I posted, it can be.