Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stable Engine for Everybody?

minipimp

First off I dont mean to insult anyone or sound ignorant about my topic, I just wish to speak my mind about something.

1\. Why is there not a stable engine available to the public . Eclipse's event version is a tad outdated.

2\. What I would like to see for the public to be able to download is a version which includes the following necessary to create an Okay game.

-Quest system

-Skills/professions ( Leveling system for them)

-All The Features/Edits that we see in some of the rather good custom engines.

3\. Why is it that some people in this community have an awesome engine with these features but keep it to themselves for their game rather than release a engine to this community that has them included, so we can better the community and people will have a want to learn how to program. Yes people are lazy but we shouldnt keep them from the awesome projects people have created, at least to an extent. I dont see anything about a skill system in the tutorials and such , but yet I see the system in 2 games and 1 engine that is unavailable . Im not trying to say people should release their work , but rather help others try to understand how they coded the systems in place , so as a community we evolve.

Thanks for reading , I would like to start a discussion about this , but like I said . Sorry if I am sounding ignorant about my own topic, Its just what I see.

> First off I dont mean to insult anyone or sound ignorant about my topic, I just wish to speak my mind about something.
>
> 1\. Why is there not a stable engine available to the public . Eclipse's event version is a tad outdated.
>
> 2\. What I would like to see for the public to be able to download is a version which includes the following necessary to create an Okay game.
>
> -Quest system
>
> -Skills/professions ( Leveling system for them)
>
> -All The Features/Edits that we see in some of the rather good custom engines.
>
> 3\. Why is it that some people in this community have an awesome engine with these features but keep it to themselves for their game rather than release a engine to this community that has them included, so we can better the community and people will have a want to learn how to program. Yes people are lazy but we shouldnt keep them from the awesome projects people have created, at least to an extent. I dont see anything about a skill system in the tutorials and such , but yet I see the system in 2 games and 1 engine that is unavailable . Im not trying to say people should release their work , but rather help others try to understand how they coded the systems in place , so as a community we evolve.
>
> Thanks for reading , I would like to start a discussion about this , but like I said . Sorry if I am sounding ignorant about my own topic, Its just what I see.

[Stable Engine](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/126871-eclipse-event-system-official-release/).

If they release all their hard work, some people take it and submit it as their own.

What's more, Eclipse is a _**base**_ engine. It isn't a final engine that is designed to be used straight out of the box; there's a reason you need VB6 to use it. You're meant to add your own code; you can make a game with Eclipse. There's everything you need, it just doesn't have some of the features _you_ want.

There are plenty of tutorials for most of the features you've said.

The "custom versions" are simply that. They've used the base, stable engine provided as the official download and expanded on it. Just like you're meant to do. They release it because they want to*.

I understand that what you're after is a new "official" version of Eclipse, which is exactly what the Development Team is currently doing.

*I'm probably wrong, but has Eclipse is open-source, doesn't anyone using it have to open-source any work they do (theoretically)? Could someone clarify. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

1\. What makes it outdated?

2\. Quest system and skills can be easily added by everyone, thing is, not everyone needs them. Also what edits from other customs engines do you mean?

3\. This is in people I guess. It would be of course nice, if people shared their engines, but then there would be lots of similiar games and everyone wants to make their game unique, so people would play it. Also people will want you to add more (Common thing = Add pet system, quest system…) and you can't please everyone.

> which is exactly what the Development Team is currently doing.

I would love some evidence of that ;].

Basically it's a lot of effort to create an engine and a lot of time. Like Synergy said it's just a base, the more awful features you add to it, the more unstable it becomes. The reason people (who have a fairly good knowledge of programming with VB6) don't encourage the use of most engines on here is because they're exactly that. EO 2.0 was a great base because it provided functionality and it wasn't crammed full of loads of features and dirty code.

> I would love some evidence of that ;].
>
> Basically it's a lot of effort to create an engine and a lot of time. Like Synergy said it's just a base, the more awful features you add to it, the more unstable it becomes. The reason people (who have a fairly good knowledge of programming with VB6) don't encourage the use of most engines on here is because they're exactly that. EO 2.0 was a great base because it provided functionality and it wasn't crammed full of loads of features and dirty code.

Okay, in theory that's what they're doing.

> Im not trying to say people should release their work , but rather help others try to understand how they coded the systems in place , so as a community we evolve.

The bad thing about that is that most of the people that come here don't give a shit about how it was coded and just want the system in their games.

> First off I dont mean to insult anyone or sound ignorant about my topic, I just wish to speak my mind about something.
>
> 1\. Why is there not a stable engine available to the public . Eclipse's event version is a tad outdated.
>
> 2\. What I would like to see for the public to be able to download is a version which includes the following necessary to create an Okay game.
>
> -Quest system
>
> -Skills/professions ( Leveling system for them)
>
> -All The Features/Edits that we see in some of the rather good custom engines.
>
> 3\. Why is it that some people in this community have an awesome engine with these features but keep it to themselves for their game rather than release a engine to this community that has them included, so we can better the community and people will have a want to learn how to program. Yes people are lazy but we shouldnt keep them from the awesome projects people have created, at least to an extent. I dont see anything about a skill system in the tutorials and such , but yet I see the system in 2 games and 1 engine that is unavailable . Im not trying to say people should release their work , but rather help others try to understand how they coded the systems in place , so as a community we evolve.
>
> Thanks for reading , I would like to start a discussion about this , but like I said . Sorry if I am sounding ignorant about my own topic, Its just what I see.

Eclipse 2.0 is quite stable and was only released 2-3 years ago, so its not exactly "old". I agree, the language is old, but the language is also easy to learn. I agree with what was said earlier; It was intended to be a base engine. Sure, I'd have loved to not have to go through the hassle of making a skill system, but that's the point; The developers aren't here to develop our games.

As for releasing systems, people like to have some of their own systems in to make it original. If you look in my signature, you'll find an entire skill system as well as other tutorials.

I think the main problem newbies have with Eclipse Engine is the fact that they look at the code and their minds explode. It's barely newbie-friendly, considering when they ask for help, we tell them to "Go do it yourself".

Simpler code, More "Blocked" code, more commenting and an Official Introduction to Eclipse Programming - with sub-set official guides for popular additions to the "base engine" would go a long way, I imagine.

> I think the main problem newbies have with Eclipse Engine is the fact that they look at the code and their minds explode. It's barely newbie-friendly, considering when they ask for help, we tell them to "Go do it yourself".
>
> Simpler code, More "Blocked" code, more commenting and an Official Introduction to Eclipse Programming - with sub-set official guides for popular additions to the "base engine" would go a long way, I imagine.

Even though I think thats a great solution and something we should defenitely do, we would still have many people complaining about an engine where they don't have to change a single line of code and start making their game. Because many people around here just want to impress their friends with their game or something else and don't want to spend many time making it.

> Even though I think thats a great solution and something we should defenitely do, we would still have many people complaining about an engine where they don't have to change a single line of code and start making their game. Because many people around here just want to impress their friends with their game or something else and don't want to spend many time making it.

The majority of new people that come to Eclipse - let's say a wave is a new-member-count of across 3 months - every wave's majority are kids with big dreams, half of them expecting to get out of Eclipse with little effort, what they are imagining. The other half realise they need to made modifications. But they run into the wall of the example I mentioned before.

If we can make that wall a little lower - or moreso, offer some ladders and scaffolding to get over that wall - I think we'd keep many more newbies that come here.