Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How can we improve the community?

azkanan

> That's the problem, the forums are so… Non-offensive messy that new members just don't want to spend the time. The search.... Yeah I've had issues trying to find related searches of keyword via our forum search bar.

Yeah, I mentioned to Marshy Dearest we needed a pruning of outdated threads, although I may have been a little extreme with a "Post, thread and usergroup reset". A cleaning of common search results might be proper.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> I disagree, to some degree. Yes, put on an official cape and hat, but be fun to a degree. This is where maturity comes into play for moderators, knowing the fine line between funny and immature.

Nothing concerning what I said has anything to do with "fun". You don't need to use vulgarity (the use of which is against the rules) to have fun. You don't need to slander someone, even jokingly, to have fun. You don't need to be disrespectful, even jokingly, to have fun. You don't need to impede on someone else's progress (trolling, even jokingly) to have fun. You don't need to have a complete disregard to someones point of view or have zero apathy for an individuals beliefs to have fun.

What needs to happen is a cultural shift with this community. We start by demanding that people follow the rules, including those who are moderation/administration staff.

> I disagree. Moderation needs to tighten up, period. No vulgarity, period. No circumnavigating the word filter, period. No disrespecting administration or moderation staff, period. No asking questions in the shoutbox, period. Follow the rules or you get muted and/or banned, period.

It sounds like you're saying you don't want anybody to have a little 'fun' once in a while or have a little joke. ToD would have little or no members if that became the case.

> Nothing concerning what I said has anything to do with "fun".

You put it across that way.

> In my opinion, the only problem with moderation is consistency.

Agreed, and I've had a brief discussion with Marshy Dearest concerning that. Myself and others are actively trying to institute policy and moderation reform. It's hard on us because we do have acquaintance's, friendships, or other strings that tie us to certain individuals, or we're merely passive or "loose" when it comes to those who bend or outright break the rules due to their prior standing. Personally, I feel that there needs to be a "no-holds-barred" relationship when it comes to transgressors of any nature. Along with positive reinforcement for those individuals that are polite, informative, or who are otherwise helpful, I believe a strap-down on moderation (including policing up other administrators/moderators) will be a great deal better than Azkanan's idea (allow people to berate each other).

There is no reason, whatsoever, for anyone at any time to insult, berate, antagonize, or be deeming towards another individual. It's unacceptable. Period.

I think it's a fact that even with a big flashy graphic and sirens saying not to ask questions in the shoutbox, people (especially newbs) still will. I thought about having a separate shoutbox for Q&A, an optional one so that people can join if they want to ask a question or feel inclined to answer.

I don't know quite how this would work without making the forums redundant; I had a few ideas, but none that really seem feasible. Maybe someone else can think of something.

Now, my next point is, maybe, a bit harsh and probably not too popular, but can we have some sort of… Well, an "IQ filter" for signing up.

Before you start calling me lots of names, just have a think:

I get so fed up with trying to help people when they just do not listen. Not only do they not listen, they are just incapable of following _basic_ instructions. By basic I mean, like, browsing the internet.

I'm not actually suggesting an IQ/age restriction or anything like that… Just some way of stopping people who are too young to understand, or too stubborn to listen. Honestly, I can't think of a way to do it. I hope someone else can.

The almost sole reason I get fed up and snappy at people is when they're being stupid. Everyone is stupid occasionally, that's fine. The difference is when people are thick to the point that you'd have better luck trying to teach a brick to dance to Beethoven.

I'm in two minds about the standard of moderation. While I don't think that we need super-tough moderation as Bud is suggesting (I sense a bit of your military past there ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)), I do think it needs to be more consistent but that comes with issues because not each situation is identical.

> I disagree. Moderation needs to tighten up, period. No vulgarity, period. No circumnavigating the word filter, period. No disrespecting administration or moderation staff, period. No asking questions in the shoutbox, period. Follow the rules or you get muted and/or banned, period.

Heil Hitler!

> I think it's a fact that even with a big flashy graphic and sirens saying not to ask questions in the shoutbox, people (especially newbs) still will. I thought about having a separate shoutbox for Q&A, an optional one so that people can join if they want to ask a question or feel inclined to answer.
>
> I don't know quite how this would work without making the forums redundant; I had a few ideas, but none that really seem feasible. Maybe someone else can think of something.
>
> Now, my next point is, maybe, a bit harsh and probably not too popular, but can we have some sort of… Well, an "IQ filter" for signing up.
>
> Before you start calling me lots of names, just have a think:
>
> I get so fed up with trying to help people when they just do not listen. Not only do they not listen, they are just incapable of following _basic_ instructions. By basic I mean, like, browsing the internet.
>
> I'm not actually suggesting an IQ/age restriction or anything like that… Just some way of stopping people who are too young to understand, or too stubborn to listen. Honestly, I can't think of a way to do it. I hope someone else can.
>
> The almost sole reason I get fed up and snappy at people is when they're being stupid. Everyone is stupid occasionally, that's fine. The difference is when people are thick to the point that you'd have better luck trying to teach a brick to dance to Beethoven.
>
> I'm in two minds about the standard of moderation. While I don't think that we need super-tough moderation as Bud is suggesting (I sense a bit of your military past there ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)), I do think it needs to be more consistent but that comes with issues because not each situation is identical.

How about a minimum post count to access the shoutbox? That would certainly inspire the creation of new topics, the use of the search function, and a general familiarization (lots of good reading) of the forums.

> How about a minimum post count to access the shoutbox? That would certainly inspire the creation of new topics, the use of the search function, and a general familiarization (lots of good reading) of the forums.

I think that's a really good idea. Although it'd have to be careful moderated to make sure that people don't make loads of topics to get their count up.

> How about a minimum post count to access the shoutbox? That would certainly inspire the creation of new topics, the use of the search function, and a general familiarization (lots of good reading) of the forums.

I would support that.

> I would support it as well, but maybe for a low post count, 5 to 10? I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be like 25 or 50… Nobody should have that many questions; Atleast a kickstart anyways, should only require about 5 to 10.

That was actually my suggestion; 5-10 is pretty minimal, and I'm sure the lower end of that spectrum would do just fine.

> No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has the right to tell anyone else to "shut up", especially those who are being advised that they're behavior is inappropriate. Military or not, this is "How to be a good human" 101.

Actually, this is a forum not a "_Human Empathy Class For The Sociopath In Us All_". The forum isn't here to teach socially acceptably behavior.