Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My In Game GUI

bambam

please rate this out of 10, remembering that this took me several hours to perfect.

![](http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd99/dragonmikey/800x600.jpg)
NOT FOR USE!!!
i am currently using this and just to make sure you heard NOT FOR USE or i will hunt you down, otherwise u have nothing to worry about

please rate out of 10

You should remove the picture where the game shows cuz it takes memoruy uselessly. Plus I doiubt these pictures aren't copyrighted so you should remove them unless you are authorized to use them yourself…

I don't see how the FFV Black mages fit into space background... And I also doubt you have the copyright on those as they are copyrights of FFV... If there is anything I can find good in it, its the good mixing of pictures in a background...

Before shouting people should not use, you should be sure you can use it.

lolololol dont bad comments like you plox, besides every1 has pictuers on the side anyway, and ill change the mages then
EDIT
ok i changed them, ummm, and the icons next to the buttons are a little bit extra, for a little decoration so yea.

@Riley:

> link=topic=29950.msg267757#msg267757 date=1217729324]
> You should remove the picture where the game shows cuz it takes memoruy uselessly. Plus I doiubt these pictures aren't copyrighted so you should remove them unless you are authorized to use them yourself…
>
> I don't see how the FFV Black mages fit into space background... And I also doubt you have the copyright on those as they are copyrights of FFV... If there is anything I can find good in it, its the good mixing of pictures in a background...
>
> Before shouting people should not use, you should be sure you can use it.

Please explain how adding more detail to a GUI changes the file size at all. File size is dictated by the dimensions of an image and the format it is saved in. Go save a 1024x1024 .bmp image of block white, then one full of random images. Both will be the same size.

As for the GUI, it's terrible. A GUI is not there to have fancy pictures on, or to be eye-catching. It's there to blend into the game and add functionality to it. You want people looking at your game, not at the fancy pictures in the background. Try changing the size and layout. The default Eclipse GUI has a poor layout that doesn't do any of the features any justice, and the size is just huge. People who play these small games want them to be small. Something they can run but won't take up their entire screen.

@Robin:

> Please explain how adding more detail to a GUI changes the file size at all. File size is dictated by the dimensions of an image and the format it is saved in. Go save a 1024x1024 .bmp image of block white, then one full of random images. Both will be the same size.

i would suggest actually trying out your proof before posting it…

here are Soljah's 2 sigs
![](http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/699/soljahsigrg7.png)
![](http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4209/bannerum4.png)
Sig 1 file size is 75.46 KB
Sig 2 file size is 49.96 KB
both sigs are 400px by 80px
you can right click and check their properties if you want, but a image file size is determined by more than just dimensions

i agree with your comments about the GUI itself though

@renzo:

> i would suggest actually trying out your proof before posting it…
>
> here are Soljah's 2 sigs
> ![](http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/699/soljahsigrg7.png)
> ![](http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4209/bannerum4.png)
> Sig 1 file size is 75.46 KB
> Sig 2 file size is 49.96 KB
> both sigs are 400px by 80px
> you can right click and check their properties if you want, but a image file size is determined by more than just dimensions
>
> i agree with your comments about the GUI itself though

I would suggest actually reading my post before making an absolute fool of yourself. Those signatures are obviously .png files, which use compression algorithms. Eclipse loads the files as .bmp, which are uncompressed.

Go do the same experiment with two .bmp files, like I originally told you rather than skimping on your reading ;D

Bambam, just go down the usual routes. Go **to** the sto**r**e to **rent it.**

lol, Robin you are wrong. Sorry mate. For one we are talking about eclipse Gui's am I correct? Eclipse loads Gui's in .gif format. If you take any random image of your computer, open it in paint then save it on your desktop as a .gif. Then you copy and paste the size attributes in an other paint window (making the same size) and save a white canvas as .gif. They will be 2 totally different file sizes. Ive tested it, so before YOU make a complete fool of your self you should try testing your argument out.

@Robin:

> I would suggest actually reading my post before making an absolute fool of yourself. Those signatures are obviously .png files, which use compression algorithms. Eclipse loads the files as .bmp, which are uncompressed.
>
> Go do the same experiment with two .bmp files, like I originally told you rather than skimping on your reading ;D

alright, since you INSISTED
here is a BLANK .BMP image
![](http://www.picattic.com/files2/ma019uhz53tjgg8o2u9o.bmp)

and here is another image just for you, with the exact same dimensions as the last
![](http://www.picattic.com/files2/v5qohfmd1ocz385u540s.bmp)

id like you to right click and check out their properties and tell me what you see

sorry about hijacking the thread. Point well proven.
None the less, the gui needs work. Don't just put a picture in the bg, then add icons. The gui just becomes whats left of the bg image. Use textures, Make buttons that contrast with the gui, not random colors. Also only use icons for the menu if it looks good with the gui and compliments it.

@Niko:

> lol, Robin you are wrong. Sorry mate. For one we are talking about eclipse Gui's am I correct? Eclipse loads Gui's in .gif format. If you take any random image of your computer, open it in paint then save it on your desktop as a .gif. Then you copy and paste the size attributes in an other paint window (making the same size) and save a white canvas as .gif. They will be 2 totally different file sizes. Ive tested it, so before YOU make a complete fool of your self you should try testing your argument out.

I know the external GUI loading uses .GIF, but most of the projects people have had me look at have bypassed that and just pasted the image into the form, which saves it as .BMP

@renzo:

> ![](http://www.picattic.com/files2/v5qohfmd1ocz385u540s.bmp)

That is the most disturbing picture I've ever been proven wrong with xD

Although it seems my Windows shell is lying to me, because if I download both those images to my desktop, right click properties, it tells me both are 736 KB

Unless IE & Firefox have some sort of algorithm which cuts down on the filesize whilst rendering it. I'll have to look into it. I hate to think that Windows is lying about my filesizes :P

@Robin:

> I know the external GUI loading uses .GIF, but most of the projects people have had me look at have bypassed that and just pasted the image into the form, which saves it as .BMP
>
> That is the most disturbing picture I've ever been proven wrong with xD
>
> Although it seems my Windows shell is lying to me, because if I download both those images to my desktop, right click properties, it tells me both are 736 KB
>
> Unless IE & Firefox have some sort of algorithm which cuts down on the filesize whilst rendering it. I'll have to look into it. I hate to think that Windows is lying about my filesizes :P

Renzo cheated. the white bitmap is 256 color, while the mudkip is 24-bit.

Yup. Renzo, if you're gonna try and prove me wrong at least don't cheat xD

You wasted a lot of my time whilst I tried to find out why my files were showing up as the same size.

Here's your two files using the same format:
![](http://www.pwnz.co.uk/pictures/file_size_1.bmp)

![](http://www.pwnz.co.uk/pictures/file_size_2.bmp)

Seems I was right, you silly moose :3

well of course if you save it under the same bit level theyre going to be the same size, but why would you?
my point was that i gave 2 500x500 .bmp files that were not the same size, when robin made it out that no matter what you do they will always be the same size
@robin:

> Go save a 1024x1024 .bmp image of block white, then one full of random images. Both will be the same size.

i just proved that they could have different sizes

and yes as an uncompressed file, the sizes, if saved under the same bit level, will be the same size since it is loading all pixels in the picture, rather than just the important ones and leaving out the redundant ones
and thats why .bmp format is horrible for the internet
but yes, enough about .bmp, GUIs are supposed to be in .gif format anyways

@renzo:

> well of course if you save it under the same bit level theyre going to be the same size, but why would you?
> my point was that i gave 2 500x500 .bmp files that were not the same size, when robin made it out that no matter what you do they will always be the same sizei just proved that they could have different sizes
>
> and yes as an uncompressed file, the sizes, if saved under the same bit level, will be the same size since it is loading all pixels in the picture, rather than just the important ones and leaving out the redundant ones
> and thats why .bmp format is horrible for the internet
> but yes, enough about .bmp, GUIs are supposed to be in .gif format anyways

Next time you make a point, actually tell us in your post instead of confusing the shit out of me xDD

@bambam:

> yea thats great, now answer my question plox

sorry about that :P

and my answer would be no, i dont think it would be a good idea to use its background for a sig or banner since it has copyrighted images on it
i would suggest making your own custom sig or request one from Lunar Eclipse ;)