Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to break EO4.0…

TorenRenne

Guess this is the best place if any…

Managed to break EO4.0 :)

I moved around a bit, used the admin panel to warp around.

Went to Unnamed map 8, edited the adjacent map to 2.

Warped back to map 2, edited the adjacent map to 8\. I got stuck and couldn't move. Stein reported bucket loads of RTE's. 1000+'s...

I got 1 which was:

RTE '380' : Invalid Property Value

'InitEventEditorForm' in 'frmEditor_Events'

After I logged out and back in, it reported 2 more "errors" (Although only logged 1) and its frozen, not loaded anything. Giving me:

RTE '9' Subscript out of range

'WriteBytes' in 'clsBuffer'

This bug seems to occur on player event handlers, as it has happened to me a few times on Kibbelz's game but other players could move along and do things just fine. The event system derps out completely and doesn't function at all at random. It can cause active events to repeat several times, then get stuck locking the player in place, or simply spawn all events or none at all.

I've uploaded the error log that contains all the errors caused by this event, some 15.000+ spammed over the course of half a minute.

[https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaj53erugw18vhj/errors.txt](https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaj53erugw18vhj/errors.txt)

(The first few errors may not necessarily be related, I'm not sure where those came from)

I'm not sure what causes this, and I am unable to reliably reproduce it. It appears to be random and not just related to one specific build/map.

Alright, another update to this. The entire map is broken, anyone that tried to load onto it will get the following thrown in their error log:

```

The following error occured at 'WriteBytes' in 'clsBuffer'.
Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range.
The error occured on line 20
```
The screen remains black, and the server gives this error:

```
The following error occured at 'WriteBytes' in 'clsBuffer'.
Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range.
Error occured on line 40
```
This happens on new and old accounts, as well as on regular players and admins. It appears as if the map somehow managed to corrupt itself in the process.

Download to the map and event data: [https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5q13xzs57vekev/Map2.zip](https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5q13xzs57vekev/Map2.zip)

Possibly, I'm not sure what it could be as I can't check on it myself.

EDIT: Can't reproduce still. And I'm not sure whether it's the event system or not anymore. The FIRST time it happened, when the map broke it spammed event errors. But now all it does is spam the RTE9 in WriteBytes.

Here's my experience (literally just happened)

I was not able to use (test) the engine since I was not at home and I spent the night at a family members house. I opened my server, everything is fine.

Open the client, everything seems fine…Until... I try to log in to my server, since at that moment the error count at the top went to 125 and kept rising like crazy and it was just frozen on the log-in page when it should show the map after choosing the character. I said "fine" so I closed it and tried again( a little optimism never hurt anybody....well maybe happy drunk drivers....But back to the story.) and no luck, the errors just kept popping up the same and with NO CHANGES even made AT ALL. I still have the same map with the same quest and the same npcs so I don't see what could have caused this.

I am going to attempt a re-install but if that doesn't work I am heading right back to  the engine I was on before.

(After following advice from JC, I set GFXMODE=0 to 1 on the config file on the client folder and it works so far :D)

It has been determined that all of the above issues has been caused by 1 of 2 problems.

The first problem which led to the flood of error reports was caused by Viper not running the client launcher. Somewhere or another my code that checks the client to server version did not throw any red flags allowing him to send the map update which was wrong because his client did not have the layering edits.

The second bug is related to a graphic card glitch. I am swapping the GfxMode option so GfxMode=1 is default which is more reliable. With that said, all issues above have been found and have been or are currently being resolved.

Thanks

JC

PS: Massive shoutout to both lel and Stein for helping me locate the causes of these bugs and the massive amount of time they both gave up to help me.