Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Centralizing player names, change font of player names and get rid of the casting text?

Rukazaki

I am using an older version of Eclipse because I find it easier to work with, I'm using Version 2.3 (I think?) and I have Visual Basic, so if you want me to edit something within the project files I can do so.

As the title describes, I'm looking for a way to align the playernames correctly as they are slightly off due to the sprites I'm using and they look even worse if somebody uses only capital letters in their names. I understand there's a way to prevent this by moving my sprites but I don't want to risk my sprites looking off-balance if you know what I mean. So I'd prefer to change them using the code.

Secondly, I'd really like to change the font of the in-game playernames that appear above the heads of the players - it doesn't suit my game at all and I must say, the System font is probably the most ugly. xD

And finally, that god awful cast notification you get when casting a spell (shown in the picture below), I'd like to remove that completely. However I would like to keep the green and red numbers depending on which type of spell I'm casting, healing or damage respectively.

![](http://i44.tinypic.com/2n6re2o.png)

I wouldn't mind keeping the notification saying which spell is being used - again, changing the font - because that way players can identify different spells and know what was used on them. But of course removing that obnoxious "Casting PSI Life-Up 1!" part.

If what I've said is a bit confusing, or I haven't explained anything very well, tell me and I'll be more than happy to elaborate. Thanks in advance!

1) Go to modText and find the subs DrawPlayerName and DrawNPCName. Change the TextX and TextY values. (They are relative to the game screen.)

2) Call the sub SetFont from anywhere with the font name and the size of the text. The default font is used if the font is not found. (Not sure about this. Someone please confirm.)

3) Remove all calls to BltActionMessage that is related to spell casting. (I believe the calls for spell casts are in modHandleData.)

Ah! I found that earlier, I'll have a mess around with it and see what happens - thanks guys.

EDIT: Before I check it, just a quick question: would changing the Georgia font change the character's overhead name font? Just wondering because the font isn't Georgia, so I'm wondering if that's kept elsewhere.

I'd have to check what it's like again exactly when I get home, I do remember there being some oddity with the font system because it had a leak somewhere, so a few things didn't work properly or were handled a little awkward.

> Ah! I found that earlier, I'll have a mess around with it and see what happens - thanks guys.
>  
> EDIT: Before I check it, just a quick question: would changing the Georgia font change the character's overhead name font? Just wondering because the font isn't Georgia, so I'm wondering if that's kept elsewhere.

If it's Georgia, yes. If it's Font_Default, you can change that similarly. It would also change any other place using the same font.

I'm not really bothered that much about the font anymore, I just need this annoying spellcasting thing out of the way - I've looked in modHandleData but with no luck. Anybody else have any ideas where I might find how to remove them?

Ah I've finally found it! Thank you for all your help guys, it's been invaluable.

Now I just need to find out how to mark this as solved..

EDIT: Actually, whilst I'm here, I have another quick question: As you can see in the picture below, I've changed the ItemName label inside the ItemDescription picture box to black, but stays white for some reason - funnily enough, this also happens with the inventory; the small number next to an item identifying a quantity. Could anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

![](http://i43.tinypic.com/2vw75l1.png)

Sub UpdateDescWindow.

```
        Select Case Item(itemnum).Rarity
            Case 0 ' white
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(255, 255, 255)
            Case 1 ' green
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(117, 198, 92)
            Case 2 ' blue
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(103, 140, 224)
            Case 3 ' maroon
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(205, 34, 0)
            Case 4 ' purple
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(193, 104, 204)
            Case 5 ' orange
                .lblItemName.ForeColor = RGB(217, 150, 64)
        End Select

```
this is the reason as to why it's going back to that color.