Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NPC HP Values > 32767

JadeCurt1ss

But why main your game's potential when you can keep it's speed the same, just allow higher stats by ridding of the design flaws that main the game's ability to a lower standard. (unless your computer isn't powerful enough to run eclipse at a decent speed, people should get a lot of lag just from the extra 2 bytes, thats just silly considering the game it's self can handle over 100 players, i don't think it's really necessary to limit yourself…)

@MrMiguu:

> But why main your game's potential when you can keep it's speed the same, just allow higher stats by ridding of the design flaws that main the game's ability to a lower standard. (unless your computer isn't powerful enough to run eclipse at a decent speed, people should get a lot of lag just from the extra 2 bytes, thats just silly considering the game it's self can handle over 100 players, i don't think it's really necessary to limit yourself…)

its maim and wrong silly >_<

the max hp isn't sent ONLY one time its sent multiple times (how many times you may ask? hell if I know, that requires actual LOOKING XD)

so its at least AT LEAST a few kb, at most maybe a mb or two

of course this is all dependant on the time scale we are talking about…

@Skieth:

> its maim and wrong silly >_<
>
> the max hp isn't sent ONLY one time its sent multiple times (how many times you may ask? hell if I know, that requires actual LOOKING XD)
>
> so its at least AT LEAST a few kb, at most maybe a mb or two
>
> of course this is all dependant on the time scale we are talking about…

main/Maim, w/e either way I'm talking about the Dim in the source, it's set MaxHP as Long, not integer, but the scroll bar only allows integers to be selected, so basically you can't use the MaxHP Variable to it's FULL potential unless you alter it to a text box where Long numbers may be entered… I wasn't talking about how it was sent, if 2bytes is that big a deal to you rather than having stronger boss monsters, then feel free to change the variable to Integer... lol

@FS:CG :

> link=topic=31706.msg302270#msg302270 date=1224994493]
> why would an hp amount determine how strong they are?
> what about:
> defense/armor class
> dodge %age
> deflect %age
> regen rate.
>
> you should be able to have every player/npc have 100 hp and balance out difficulties.

I was referring to the actual time it takes to kill a boss monster, no the actual stats of the monster. Theres nothing wrong with having the full potential of _npcmaxhp as Long_ by changing the editor to suit this, no sense in arguing while this is only for players who would prefer having this option.

Sincerely, MrMiguu

Its just a simple debate lol… its always good to discuss the pros and cons of a source edit (well at least when a source edit comes maybe twice a month here XDDD)

And it sends the max hp from the server to the client and back like whenever one is ressed, whenever you go to a map with a npc there, ect. its saves a small amount of time, but if you actually keep your game up long enough this adds up... and as for the other scroll bars that adds up too... like speed and magic, the scroll bars can't even be used and yet they are longs...WHY? this realistically ends up being.... at least 12 bytes on each npc for all of the stats (str, def, speed, magic, exp, hp, sight by tile, etc.). which is sent every time you go to a new map or whenever an npc respawns.

hell for hp you could be better off just making it a byte (of course who knows if it would work) and making the max 255 and then just editting the other things like str and def to even it out =D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Remove
```
Private Sub StartHP_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
    Dim Counter As Byte
    Dim IsNumber As Boolean

IsNumber = False

For Counter = 0 To 9
        If Chr$(KeyAscii) = Trim(Counter) Then IsNumber = True
    Next

If Not IsNumber Then MsgBox ("That is not a number.")
End Sub
```Would be a necro, but…

> This rule doesn't apply to the following boards: Announcements, Engine Development, Debate, Forum Games, Tutorials, Resources, Working GUI's, GFX Tutorials, Scripting Tutorials (Sadscript), Script Database, Old Scripts, Eclipse Source Tutorials/Snippets, Eclipse Source Download, Programming Tutorials (+ sub-boards), Scripting Tutorials (+ sub-boards) and Eclipse Source Edits (+ sub-boards).

Soo…Yeah, hope that helps ya.
~Urame

That code doesn't stop you from inputting letters, it just brings up a notice, so you'd have to be careful anyways =P

I'm sure there's a way to make it so the msgbox comes up only when you hit keys other than 0-9 and backspace, but I'm not so great with knowing key-codes in VB6 xD

Gl with your game.
~Urame

Compile Error: Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name. Good try Robin, I checked it out, doesn't crash server, only person to do it so, np need for the letter blocking code I guess.

@Robin:

> Yeah, I edited that without using VB6\. You'll need to create the VALIDATE procedure properly.
>
> ```
> Private Sub StartHP_Validate(Cancel As Boolean)
>     If Not IsNumeric(StartHP.text) Then MsgBox "Invalid input."
> End Sub
>
> ```
> ;D

Don't I like meself some fancy words I don't understand.  ;D

Anyways, thanks for the working code/script/source robin.  :azn: