Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wtf lol

Techno 5.0

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a psychology class and this was a question we had to answer lol! Technically, if nothing is in the vicinity to hear the tree it does NOT make a sound. Sound only exists in the human brain, other wise the tree just shook a bunch of molecules in the area. Long story short, sound doesn't exist unless something is around to hear it.

It depends on what definition of sound you are using. I found this one in the dictionary:

"Any vibration in the air liable to cause a sensation of hearing."

Which would mean that a tree falling would always make a sound, even when nobody hears it.

Edit
A few others:

> A kind of energy contained in vibrating matter. Sound travels through solids, liquids, and gases. The eardrums convert this vibrational energy into signals that travel along nerves to the brain, which interprets them as voices, music, noise, etc.

> Vibrational energy. A pressure disturbance propagated through a medium and displacing molecules from a state of equilibrium. …

> (a) Oscillation in pressure, stress, particle displacement, particle velocity, etc., in a medium with internal forces (eg, elastic or viscous), or …

(Am bored)

Alright, I am not going to go into the detail of sound and its complexities right now as I am tired. To answer your question, by Webster's definition (which I and most of the English-Speaking world goes by), sound is the mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective **cause** of hearing. This means that sound is just the vibration of the air molecules and the human brain interperates or "hears" it. Thus, because sound is the actual event that **causes** hearing, it must happen even if no one is around to "hear" it.

- Adulese

> If a tree fell in the forest and nobody was around it would it still make a sound?

Yes, it would. When the tree falls an impact is made which creates a sound wave, humans can hear this sound wave only if the sound wave consists out of the right set of frequencies and if the sound wave doesn't die to early and if there isn't too much noise of something else. Although, there would still be sound.

Regards,
  The Nameless One.

Which is the breaker of the question:
"If a tree fell in the forest and nobody was around it would it still make a sound?"
An insect (I wrote incest here, lol) isn't considered as nobody but nothing, neither is it considered somebody but something.

Regards,
  The Nameless One.