Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martial Arts

zombie0hour

As in a fight that happens out in the street.
Martial arts generally dont prepare you for a real fight.
Depends alot on the trainers I suppose.

But most "dojo's" or whatever they call martial arts schools are more about the other aspects of it, physical fitness, mind, ect, all that, not about practical application.

Out of the however many people who study matrial arts, pit em against some random dude who is a good fighter, and i'd bet he'd beat most of their asses.

@DrNova:

> As in a fight that happens out in the street.
> Martial arts generally dont prepare you for a real fight.
> Depends alot on the trainers I suppose.
>
> But most "dojo's" or whatever they call martial arts schools are more about the other aspects of it, physical fitness, mind, ect, all that, not about practical application.
>
> Out of the however many people who study matrial arts, pit em against some random dude who is a good fighter, and i'd bet he'd beat most of their asses.

Yes, I agree with you here. Luckily I have found a dojo that does practice practical application and the ancient ways of Sensai Gichin Funakoshi (meaning we do katas and etc.).

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> and the ancient ways of Sensai Gichin Funakoshi (meaning we do katas and etc.).

Ancient ways huh.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> meaning we practice stuff that will most likely go "down" on the streets

Wait what.
So ancient techniques will prepare you for modern day streetfights?
And DrNova completely illustrated my point of martial arts vs a real fight.
Seriously

@Bone:

> Ancient ways huh.
>
> Wait what.
> So ancient techniques will prepare you for modern day streetfights?
> And DrNova completely illustrated my point of martial arts vs a real fight.
> Seriously

Lol, you took two seperate quotes and stuck them together, epic fail. What I meant was we practice both, making me fortunate to have that privilege while most other dojos just focus on the unrealistic aspect of just and "only" kata.

yea this is all good in all but when someone is about 10 ft from and pulls a gun your screwed. Just like in the old days samurai could have the best swordsmanship in the world and one arrow to the face all over. If your getting it for self defense then id suggest get a taser. but if you do it as a sport by all means go get yourself black and blue.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Lol, you took two seperate quotes and stuck them together, epic fail. What I meant was we practice both, making me fortunate to have that privilege while most other dojos just focus on the unrealistic aspect of just and "only" kata.

Ok, sorry for the misinterpretation.

@ Killerminx, in the old days, a samurai could be feathered with arrows and still be wooping ass.

Judo is a good way to go.
But seriously, go learn to box.

@killerminx:

> yea this is all good in all but when someone is about 10 ft from and pulls a gun your screwed. Just like in the old days samurai could have the best swordsmanship in the world and one arrow to the face all over. If your getting it for self defense then id suggest get a taser. but if you do it as a sport by all means go get yourself black and blue.

Dude, samurai would block arrows with sword DOH .. xD