mrmiguu

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SÊŽ|3><(_)z:

> no that was HM

Could we please get back on topic? Thank you~

So anyways, what do you guy's suggest I do to amp up my tiles (I know they suck hard, maybe someone with such skill as kreator could lend me a hand)

@The:

> Make the tree's look less like a gradient (i know they're not, but at first sight they look like it)
> Make the building (is it a building?) wider and give it more architectural features.

That building is an elevator… lol
I can always post my building I attempted to make. It looks like a pig.

Alrighty, Kreator to the rescue-

The first issue that catches my eye is the shading. I see pillow shading and gradients. When shading, avoid pillow shading and gradients. Take the time to learn some how to sprite texture, and also, where is your light source? When spriting, you should always be conscious of where your light source is, so you can shade, and such, so that it corresponds.

@Kreator:

> Alrighty, Kreator to the rescue-
>
> The first issue that catches my eye is the shading. I see pillow shading and gradients. When shading, avoid pillow shading and gradients. Take the time to learn some how to sprite texture, and also, where is your light source? When spriting, you should always be conscious of where your light source is, so you can shade, and such, so that it corresponds.

Alright, so…

1) No pillow shading, make it curve along with the texture of the object and the lightsource
2) No gradients... at all?

@Kreator:

> Gradients usually make objects look-
> 1\. Shiny
> 2\. Flawless
> 3\. Round.
> 4\. Unprofessional
>
> So yes, avoid using them.

Alright, thanks for the tip… also would it be a good idea to start making my tiles in Photoshop?

@Kreator:

> No that would be horrible. I'd rant about why not to, but I have done so many times before and don't feel like repeating myself.
>
> Stick to MS Paint. All of WoH's tilesets were done strictly in paint, as a matter of fact.

Wow, thanks for the big tip, that's how I currently do mine. Btw do you any special techniques (other than syphing) to make your GFX look awesome, such as using a brush or something.

Well the only tool I use is the pencil, the selection tool, the rubber (to siph), zoom and the color picker. Note that MS paint has a thumbnail option which is handy, because zooming in/out/in/out sucks.

When you get a little better, you will learn techniques such as dithering and texturing.

@Kreator:

> Well the only tool I use is the pencil, the selection tool, the rubber (to siph), zoom and the color picker. Note that MS paint has a thumbnail option which is handy, because zooming in/out/in/out sucks.
>
> When you get a little better, you will learn techniques such as dithering and texturing.

Alright, thanks for the tips.