Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A new computer; what do you think?

Admiral Refuge

Well, college starts back up again next week, and my major is computer security… So I kinda need a kickass computer (not just for school, but also for running artificial life simulations)...

If I had 4k lying around, I'd get one of those 4GHz quad core processors; it'd be ultimate for simulations!

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money (maybe I should get one of them "jobs")... But in the mean time, I can still get a nice computer of the net, and it'd still be tax deductible...

I need an educated opinion... What do you think of this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Core-2-Quad-Q6600-Desktop-MiNi-PC-Computer-System_W0QQitemZ400021934548QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item400021934548&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1308

I'm aware it does not have an OS, but my college provided me with a free copy of Windows Vista Business (as well as XP, if I wanted to use that), among other softwares...

So yea, what do you guys think on that computer?  It does have a quad core, but it's 2.4 GHz

Yeah, the video card sucks balls. And … it seems like kind of a huge pc for college... I got a laptop when I graduated, 3GB ram, 160GB hd (500GB external), and a integrated graphics card. Personally, I think if you wanna play any kind of games, you need to get a better graphics card. If you're doing nothing but simulations, I guess it'd be ok but you can't take it to class >.<

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm not planning on using it for games (not much of a gamer at all).

Rather, I'm going to mainly use it for programming, running simulations (the type where all you see is a black shell updating with text, but it's simulating different crap with no user interaction).

When I'm at class, they have up-to-date computers (2008 Dells) there for us to work on, so no worries while I'm at class… Though I'm considering saving up for an Acer Aspire (weighs 2lbs, has 1gb ram, 120gb hard drive, and has a 1.6GHz processor) so I can connect to my main computer from school, perhaps...

As for the size, here are the dimensions for the case: 14.7" x 11.2" x 9"

I was considering building a computer (I'd much rather build one too, I always wanted to build a computer into a mini-fridge, a friend of mine did that), but then I may not get the tax deduction (I'm also worried I'd screw up with expensive software -_-)

Above all, I'd LOVE to build one of those [**Oil-PCs**](http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php)

IDK, maybe I'll just get a barebones pc

Okay, I changed things around abit (since you pretty much put it togeather custom).
Here is the new order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220342063289

And yes, the video card is bad on here, but I'm planning on putting in my own video card (the one on my computer currently) anyway (along with my own DVDRW and floppy drive)