Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Gaming Weekly.

Devogen

G'day everyone,

Well after some nostalgic conversations tonight regarding great old games, I've decided to make a thread which will focus on a different game every week from the past and the machine it was released on.

Being honest, alot of you are not old enough to know what a vintage game is or plays like (this is the under 15's im talking to, and theres a few of you) So i figured you really needed to see what things were like back when.  I'll be reviewing games on consoles and PC's (ie including the Amiga 500 and the Atari ST) so everything will be covered and alternate weekly. I figure your all pixel art freaks, and over time there has been some seriously good hand drawn pixel art in older games.

Since it was the topic of tonight, I will Start with Wonder Boy III, the Dragons Trap on the Sega Master System.

Im not going to just review, im going to play these games through… again. so stay tuned I'll post some screenies and review tomorrow.

Please feel free to offer suggestions of great old games that need their 15 mins of fame again.

Heh, being only 16 right now, I did miss out on this stuff when it came out… But none the less I had step bros who got all this stuff when it was new so I have all these vintage games laying about  :P

One of my favorite vintage games was, Kaboom... Oh god that game was addicting.

This thread just reminded me of another ancient piece of equipment, for those of you who remember the "Game Genie" << I loved that damn thing. Still got the book of codes for it too. :)

lol i had the game genie… not sure where i got it from.. probably borrowed it from a friend, and just forgot about it... but eventually it was the only way i could get nes games work again! I had completely taken my nes apart... had to have games stacked on top of the one i was playing to hold it down... and then had to use the game genie to get the game to read.

I loved those. Also a good oldschool game is Duke Nukem (the real one before 3D) - it's quite shitty but you should know what are the orgins of one of the best games ever. Conquest Of The New World, Ascendancy, Simon the Sorcerer…

lol I loved commander keen, I used to play that in primary school, I got all the episodes of that series!

ive played original dune, didnt even know there was a sequal to it though

my 2 favourite vintage games, to me, are Suikoden 1, on PS1, and Terranigma, on SNES..while theyre not that old, I have the best memories of em

@zombie0hour:

> Age of Empires is the best game ever! I have the gold edition with the first AOE with the expansion and the second AOE with its expansion. The first and second ones are consitered the best RTS games to ever exist. I love AOE to death! Number 3 killed it!

No, AOE will never die, 3 just lowered its rep a bit, 4 will do the same. But 5 will be epic.

I still play online for those of you who wish to challenge me…

Ha, I'm surprised to see Commander Keen mentioned lol I love that game, It's sittin' in my closet. "Good bye Galaxy" it was something like the first two episodes in one… Oh the nostalgia... :P

Note: Gwen you're right, Dune was either one of, or was the first real RTS. My step cousin is a game history nut and he had to show it to me lol

Excellent response guys, ironically youve all mentioned games that were my favourites, so they definately will come along in the thread. If I happen to finish the game lets say within 24 hours (lol not hrd) ill do as many per week as possible.

Hell we could even have high score competitions… remember those days? high scores???