Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Darkest day in Australian History…

Soljah

@[SB:

> ‡DDunit‡ link=topic=38288.msg366374#msg366374 date=1234192021]
> Btw, it's not exactly the "darkest" day, may I say… it's a fire, right?

Yeah, keep them to yourself… Especially when the casualty count has just reached **183** this arvo..

I personally donated $1000, It kinda hit close to home when a co-worker, and good mate of mine, lost his uncle and aunty, who were also his foster parents. He barely has words to express the way he feels at the moment, he was given a month off work, with pay, as a type of compensation for his loss.

It's said that the death count could possibly reach over 300, the current people that have been found, were found by Fire Fighters fighting blazes, not actually searching. So many will be uncovered once the search & rescue teams are able to move in.

I know how hard it would be to lose everything you had, as 6 years ago a fire hit our town, and wiped out two and a half (of 5) houses on our street… My family was the only one to stay and fight it, and we managed to save ours and our closest neighbors house from catching alight, but others lost there home. We helped in any way we could, including offering shelter for the time being, and also helping claim things that were under the debris.

Thanks for your support all, means a lot.

@[AUS:

> [SB][IG] XxArchAngelxX (the fake one) link=topic=38288.msg367310#msg367310 date=1234257370]
> shit, its coming too close, i wish we could do something more than send money and items.

Mhmm, considering I'm in W.A, It's hard to help out more then to donate.

I've been thinking the same thing Gwen…  I remember years ago, the fires were so large that some remnants of smoke made it to the east coast.

Have they considered digging trenches around the parameter of the fires (very large parameter), so when the fires reach the trenches, they wouldn't be able to fuel themselves anymore?

Guys I prayed fro those Austrailia. Please stay safe. Eclipse is a beautiful and thriving community. I dont think this is Gods will and I also think that people making humor out of something so tragic is absolutely dreadful. Please all of you down there stay safe. I would donate but I cant and as Im over in England I cannot help. I only donated £100 sorry its all I could spare me and my flat mate. Please Please stay safe.
God Bless You All. And I also pray for those who have lost something be it their home, memories, a friend or their own life. Bless them and may they live on in heaven.

Also no this is not a joke. I do beleive in God. yes I'm Christian please get over it.

With help from Kreator I'll answer these questions-

> Soljah… why is your death toll so high? Out here we get sevear fires like 2 - 3 times a year it seems, and they get everyone evacuated. Are you guys so rural, that they cant warn everyone quickly enough?

You underestimate these fires. They are speeding infernos. They literally explode houses within seconds, melt cars to the ground. These aren't your standard bushfire. And in temperares of over 45 Degrees celcius, with blasting winds, all the more decimation.

> Have they considered digging trenches around the parameter of the fires (very large parameter), so when the fires reach the trenches, they wouldn't be able to fuel themselves anymore?

You'd might as well build the second great wall. Combined with wind, these fires spread by air, giant embers and fire rain over towns. No trench would hold it back. Not to mention, there is no way you'd be able to make such large trenches in little time. Within another day another hundred lives could be lost, and town after town destroyed.

This is from Kreator. Thanks guys.

wow… that sucks....

How is kreator? has his area been spared?

I know that you cant save teh buildings with a fire that large... but what i dont understand is people know the fires are bad... and are heading that direction... how did so many get cought in its path.. they should have evacutated when they saw the severity...

please not im not debating... im genuinly asking a question...

@Gwendalin:

> wow… that sucks....
>
> How is kreator? has his area been spared?
>
> I know that you cant save teh buildings with a fire that large... but what i dont understand is people know the fires are bad... and are heading that direction... how did so many get cought in its path.. they should have evacutated when they saw the severity...
>
> please not im not debating... im genuinly asking a question...

I dont actually know. he's just gone to sleep. Im sad because I cannot do anything except pray for him. I hope its enough
and All the Austrailians I really hope its enough. I know liek Soljah said there was a fir not far away. But man I really hope he stays storng and others and everyone stays alive.

@Gwendalin:

> Soljah… why is your death toll so high? Out here we get sevear fires like 2 - 3 times a year it seems, and they get everyone evacuated. Are you guys so rural, that they cant warn everyone quickly enough?

Some of these fires were moving at over 100km/h , ground speed. And it was that hot, that houses / cars were literally exploding before the flames got to them… The heat is immense.

@Admiral:

> I've been thinking the same thing etna…  I remember years ago, the fires were so large that some remnants of smoke made it to the east coast.
>
> Have they considered digging trenches around the parameter of the fires (very large parameter), so when the fires reach the trenches, they wouldn't be able to fuel themselves anymore?

As I said before, these fires are that vicious, at one stage there were spot fires starting 20km's ahead of the main blaze, no trench can stop flying embers.

@Gwendalin:

> wow… that sucks....
>
> How is kreator? has his area been spared?
>
> I know that you cant save teh buildings with a fire that large... but what i dont understand is people know the fires are bad... and are heading that direction... how did so many get cought in its path.. they should have evacutated when they saw the severity...
>
> please not im not debating... im genuinly asking a question...

There were 100's of separate fires, surrounding each and every town out there, it was only luck if you were able to survive, It seams those who tried to evacuate, were risking there lives even more, as most deaths occurred from those that were escaping.

@|:

> I dont actually know. he's just gone to sleep. Im sad because I cannot do anything except pray for him. I hope its enough
> and All the Austrailians I really hope its enough. I know liek Soljah said there was a fir not far away. But man I really hope he stays storng and others and everyone stays alive.

Yeah, as far as i know, everyone on the forums are safe, The fire isn't anywhere near Kreator anymore, so for the most part, It's now the clean-up.