Admiral Refuge

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@УvøgêÑ:

> [IG] link=topic=38904.msg377735#msg377735 date=1234993540]
> All I see is the same words repeated over and over and over… it's so blatant it jumps out at you from the screen in chunks of identical text.

It's not really the 'same' word, but the same sets of chemicals.

The above word, is the chemical name for the Titin protein.  Since Titin is the largest known protein, it's chemical name is the largest one.
The reason it looks like it's the same word over and over, is because the name is more like a massive formula of all the different types of amino acids that makes up the protein (in a certain order).
Titin is a big protein, and has over 35,000 amino acids, and the protein I think has the same pattern two or three times

Anyway, for more info on the IUPAC Naming system, here's their website: http://www.iupac.org/

@AdrianC:

> I see somebody's been taking organic chem. I wouldn't call that a word, its just naming every single branch, ester, benzene ring, acid, whatever that forms that molecule. You can basically draw an accurate 3d model of that molecule, using that info.

Naa; I've known this for awhile, but someone asked on another forum "What's the longest word you can think of?", so I took that one, made a macro to put the linebreaks and "-"s, and I figured I'd post it here too

@§tingRay200:

> This doesn't really count as the longest work in the world for it is a some scientific thing and is not found in the dictionary.
> The actual longest word is:
> Antidisestablishmentarianizm
>
> I had that for a spelling test.

Actually, it's:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
(I swear, you can find that in the dictionary)

I'm not sure, but I think there should be spaces from time to time, within that formula. Can't remember exactly. You would also have numbers, and signs.

This naming system was created, I guess, so that we can name different isomers. They're basically molecules that have the same structural formula (have the same number of atoms, and same types of atoms), but the atoms are located in different places.

Numbers would be used to indicate the location of certain branches, so that's why I'm surprised there aren't any. Can't remember what spaces represent.

@Rawr:

> That looks complicated.

Not really, like, if we take solijh's example:

2-Methyl-Butane

Meth means one carbon, but means 4 carbons.

The ending yl means its a branch.

2 is the location of that branch

-ane means that there are only single bonds.

So it would look like:

[![](http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4913/aaape4.th.jpg)](http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaape4.jpg)

C is carbon and H is hydrogen, of course.

Its pretty easy actually, it just follows a set of basic rules. I actually love organic chem.