Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Learning to code

Pig

I'm wanting to learn how to code my own custome engine but I have no idea where to start or what to do. I have read peoples tutorials and stuff on here but I still don't get what things mean as they don't really explain them in a way I can understand them. If someone can either point me in the right direction or teach me how to code that would be great. I hope someone is willing to do this for me.

Well, noone(but chuck norris) can do this just now.

And you can't just look at code and understand it.

I wont teach you how to code now, but i think i can give you a direction, so you know where to begin.

So first you should grab a copy of vb6.

Then you should Google for tutorials. Really, no big tutorials, start with 1-5 lines, then do some more and when you think you got it, go ahead and try to code a calculator or a contactprogramm. (I did those today:3)

After you've gained some experience, you can look at the tutorials here and try to implement them. Don't just copy over the stuff, try to understand and maybe even improve it.

That's how you will learn how to code.

Hope i could help, thanks for reading!!

Sacra:)

1) Grab a copy of VB6.

2) Learn how to use the IDE.

3) Learn the syntax and create some basic programs (Hello World, Calculator etc)

4) Keep making programs and messing around until you feel comfortable with being able to write decent code.

5) Start looking at tutorials for simple games and start making some simple games. The more you make, the more you code, the better you'll get.

6) After you've made some simple games (Tic-Tac-Toe) try and make a simple 2D tile-based game. Forget GDI/DirectX and just use the 'PaintPicture' method of a PictureBox to do the rendering.

7) Keep working at your craft and start to move up to GDI/DirectX and start messing around with an open-source version of Eclipse and don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck. But first stop for answers should be Google.

Hope that helps :)

Well i just found the site i am using to learn the basics: i think you should defenitely give it a try :)

It's really good for beginners:

[http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html](http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html)

Just start at the first lesson