Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Non (or minimal) combat based game?

YuraguKoto

I have a nice set of maps (487 maps) with 4 different regions, and so and so…

Then one fine day, as I was drinking green tea while mapping my 488th map, I realised that I didn't have any plans for combat or quests or anth!!!! Crap. I knew I should have read some tutorials, being so freaking dumb T_T...

So I came up with this small game idea... Why not I just make a game that focuses mainly on traveling, farming, mining, eating, cooking, anything but fighting?

Players could gain exp through their own skills and there would be a mega huge lounge for players to chat to each other with and perhaps do some basic trading. I currently have a wardrobe script and quite a lot of head and body sprites, so I guess I could make appearances fully custom like MapleStory.

I currently have done:
Wardrobe x 1
Sprites x 164 (all custom, 64x32)
Roleplay Dresspheres x 1
Maps x 489 (+2)
Player Houses x 200
NPCs x 9 (ok, I'm slacking here)

But before I rush head on to this game, I want to make sure that people will actually play my game before I have to rush to the shrine and pray for players =D.

So what do you guys think?

PS: What does "Crap" mean?

Well, you will get a problem with making it fun and entertaining, you can make it entertaining to travel, farm, mine, eat, cook and such if you make some minigames or anything better than a text message saying "you have eaten a potato" and a meter that becomes full.

You have to make it much more fun than real life since in real life it is work and not many people think that work is fun.

PS: "Crap" is a slang for feces/shit/bullshit

Oh, for that, I have a minigame system for all the skills,

it's similar to the game "DJ Max" where you have to press buttons on the keyboard in a rhythmic pattern according to how the food is cooking or how the ore is mining.

At higher levels the mini game gets more and more difficult but you will have items like "Cooking Gloves" to give you a +1 Auto which helps you hit a note that you missed, saving your life =D. I'll post a screeny tomorow, because I don't have a printscreen button on my Fujitsu laptop.

You could offer the game as a big hang out place for people, to make friends, chat, etc. Although it seems to me that making a game as such would be quite difficult, not in the time consuming kinda way, but you would need to plan this carefully, it may even be easier to create a fighting style game…

Yet again due to the originality, if you manage to do this well, it may turn out to be a pretty good and original game. 

**Edit:** I didn't get to read that last post of yours because I was writing mine, that idea sounds pretty good actually.

Harvest Moon Online doesn't make a link to my game idea.

1\. Harvest Moon is a linear game. You do the same retarded things over and over again each day until you get bored of it.

2\. Harvest Moon is a Natsume game. And for who know, Natsume isn't a very good game producer. Look at their game titles!!! It's like zzzzzzz.

3\. Harvest Moon contains complete assholing of animals and animal abuse. You can't do that in my game.

4\. Harvest Moon is a copyrighted game.

5\. Harvest Moon Online means 100 people fighting with each other for land and killing each other's animals, not to mention stealing everybody's GFs and BFs.

6\. Harvest Moon means super fast GM crops that grow within 7 days and are shipped for 150 bucks each. Try accomplishing that in real life, people in Africa could become really rich.

7\. Harvest Moon has 11 letters. Read the 2012 thread, see how the number 11 is cursed.

8\. Harvest Moon Online makes [ILLI]Kawaii[DD] suicide.

How is Harvest Moon Online similar or even IS my game???

Thing is, to my knowledge, there isn't a great demand for 'hangout' games, so you'd have to put alot of farming and random crap to do.

I'd say people tend to play action-based games more than … chat games.
Just out of curiosity, having that many maps, what makes it so hard to implement monsters and stuff? If anything, it'd be easier because you have everything mapped out for you, so you just make a layout on paper and then get to work.

What's a WIP?

The maps were made with a mapgen script (Ilnair's), and it's really tedious to keep dumping monsters into the maps…

Combat based games bore me, when I play Maple I spend 99% of my time at the cash shop and hooking guys for the fun of it.

There should be now, look at the amount of topics requesting for it in JMS. And JMS gives out free cash to new players, so I'd just register, gift to my main, change acc, register etc etc.

Making monsters is really tedious to do without a mouse, due to the fact that I haven't got one and my touch pad was shorted out when my friends were drinking orange juice while watching anime.

I'll go get some screenies, will be back in a while…

I've been grounded because I failed a test, so I can't leave the house. And not only am I serious, but also because making a game now is all I can do at home, due to the lack of a television and a fast internet speed to play games on.

• 2 weeks later...
I was pretty much going to do my own game like that.

Have EXP gain from doing various trade skills, and just for exploring (scripted tiles in various places that when you visit them for the first time you get EXP). Also if you make your "monsters" less monster-ish and more like wildlife – with sensible "loot" -- then it can help a lot.