Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ByeBye Eclipse?

FinalFantasy_I

well i don't know if i abandon eclipse…
i think afer creating my mmo no one cares what i did there, no one gonna play it, and what should i do i dont even know how to make a setup or login...
i postet some topics, at the beginn ppl answered me anything but now its looks like no one cares...
programms like that are hard and cant be used like a pro. if just beginn.
its was rly fun but who cares?
Maybe Bye Bye?

Creating a game in a community like this is fine, but you can't expect a community of _other_ game developers to populate your game.

Besides, if it's your first attempt I can't see it having the longevity a project needs before having a decent community of dedicated players.

As for helping people, personally I know I get a bit pissed off when people don't use their common sense. Most people will disagree with me, but using Eclipse and all other engines like it require a decent level of common sense, dedication and general computing skills.

Eclipse is about support and experience.
You create a game.
It doesn't work out.
People here tell you what's up.
You try again, realise how bad your first game was, and make a better game.
Then the cycle continues.

And it's not just making games, it can be coding, scripting or anything.

but i have zero experiance at this!
look you guys can make own sprites or scripts,
i dont even know what that is!
and any way eclipse is the best progr. i used (didnt try the others but i think this one i vote 4/5)
w/e, i dont even find a sprite…for my chars...
or what i hate is 2 things what make it to 4/5:
walking of the char (i dunno but it sux abit)
attacking of the char (i dont see how hes hitting. I only analyzed that he moves hes leg forward...)

end transmission....

That's why you make your own graphics. Nothing's stopping you. Eclipse in its purest form is a template for you. You've got to put in some work, too. The engine isn't meant to be able to make a game from the get-go. You still have to provide everything.

Only at the beginning?
My friend, you have received help on virtually every topic you've made, and are still receiving help on topics you're making.

Though, if you're just going to give up, simply because of what other people think (or lack of thought, to be more correct), that's rather upsetting, if you ask me.

If you are serious about making a real game, expect to get positive opinions on your game, and expect to get many, many, negative opinions.  Expect to dedicate 5-6 hours or more per day, working on the game, just for people to tell you "you have this, this, and this, wrong", or "no, that doesn't look good at all" (of course, you take these comments, and make the game better).

If you have a question, or are looking for a resource, etc, just post in the correct board, and you're almost guaranteed that answers will follow.
After looking back in one of your posts, I saw you said:
@FinalFantasy_I:

> Its [referring to custom tilesets] too hard to find and 100x harder to creat x.X!

But I've linked you to the Resource Index, where there are lots and lots of tilesets; and if they are hard to create, take a look in the [Graphic Tutorials](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,291.0.html) section, where you would find a tutorial on making a tileset.

Though, if you're just going to give up, simply because of what other people think (or lack of thought, to be more correct), that's rather upsetting, if you ask me.

If you are serious about making a real game, expect to get positive opinions on your game, and expect to get many, many, negative opinions.  Expect to dedicate 5-6 hours or more per day, working on the game, just for people to tell you "you have this, this, and this, wrong", or "no, that doesn't look good at all" (of course, you take these comments, and make the game better).
How does it look like nobody cares though?  And if they don't, so what.
This community is to help you create your own game, not just for us, but for your friends, family, etc.
You don't see the people at [Ambardia](http://www.ambardia.com/) getting mad if people from the Eclipse Engine are playing their game or not; their game is not just for the people on Eclipse to play.

Robin hit it right on the head; this is a community of other game developers.  Though, people will be glad to tell you what they think of your game so far, if you post a working download to it, in the Beta Tests board, just like you can post updates to your game in the Work-In-Progress board, as well as get opinions on map, in the Map Showoff board.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

@FinalFantasy_I:

> but i have zero experiance at this!
> look you guys can make own sprites or scripts,
> i dont even know what that is!
> and any way eclipse is the best progr. i used (didnt try the others but i think this one i vote 4/5)
> w/e, i dont even find a sprite…for my chars...
> or what i hate is 2 things what make it to 4/5:
> walking of the char (i dunno but it sux abit)
> attacking of the char (i dont see how hes hitting. I only analyzed that he moves hes leg forward...)
>
> end transmission....

You think everyone just game here knowing everything about the engine?
Everyone comes here with zero experience.

You read all of the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/board,34.0.html , you look in the different folders and files that are in the \Server\ and \Client\ directory, to get an idea on how they work.

You read up on differnet things; as Bob said, you are here to learn.

PS: If I can comment real quick on the walking thing…
If you look in your Sprites.bmp, you'll see the character in a set of three frames per direction.
When walking, it cycles though the first two, and when he attacks, it will display the 3rd frame.

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Gah.

@FinalFantasy_I:

> I dont know if i can take all of me…scripts...sprites...problems... o.o
> lol XD
>
> I will try again to creat a...new map but I rly dont like the attaking of the char no matter what^^

Well, read my PS in the second half of the comment.  You can change the 3rd frame of the sprite, to whatevan you want him to look like when he attacks.

i can only mapping and "find sprites and put them in to my game"
i cant the rest… what u menw with graphic?
how does script work?
what i have to do coding and where is that?

(lol? i dont think that someone wanna answer me these question exactly xD)$

but thanks Bob ur kind :3

@FinalFantasy_I:

> i can only mapping and "find sprites and put them in to my game"
> i cant the rest… what u menw with graphic?
> how does script work?
> what i have to do coding and where is that?
>
> (lol? i dont think that someone wanna answer me these question exactly xD)$
>
> but thanks Bob ur kind :3

It's easy.

A script, is something that goes in your Main.txt, to make your game unique – you can do virtually anything with Scripts.  Say you want to have a quest system, or skills, or auto-leveling weapons, or a "stealing" skill, or have the NPCs do other things, etc... So much stuff can be done with Scripting, check out the http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,28410.html

Coding is abit harder, and not needed for a stable game.

There's a script to make attack animations come up. Like mine, i have it set to make a big "slash-like" thing.
It's by MrMiguu… Umm ill try find it if you want?ill tell you exactly how to place it if you want it.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
CURSES!

Oh btw, Main.txt can be found in.. Eclipse Evolution 2.7 > Server > Scripts > Main

Josh, listen to me. We all start as newbs, receiving help from the more experienced members. Soon we learn, and we get a reputation. We then move onto making better things, whether it be making graphics or scripts for a game, or making a game itself. You need to start low and not set your goal too close. Just mess around with the engine, try some of the stuff in the map editor. Forget organization and classes and all of that crap. Just have fun. By having fun, you will learn and want to do more. Read Godlord's scripting tutorials soon. Maybe read some Graphics tutorials and download a good editing program. If you have a positive mindset you will succeed. If you have a negative mindset you will fail. I started out like you, but look where I, and thousands of other members, are now.

Regards,
  KingHenry VI

Is he gone? No? Then a word from another Newbie…

Just as Bob Smith said. You download the engine, you install the library files. What's next? HELP! WHY I CAN'T LOG IN!! You come to here, and ask what is wrong. They say you have to put your server on. You try again and succeed......

Few weeks later your game is mapped, items are done, spells and other are done. But you need to do the game unique, different from the others. So you come here and ask how do you do it. I know, because i'm in here right now (except my game is not mapped etc.). Now i'm desperately trying to learn VB6 and Sadscript at the same time (what else did you expect, i'm a Datanom). Now i really think that i'm getting there, but i still need some help. Every day new question, same problems.

Why i keep on? Because i want to make a game that changes some-ones attitude for MMORPG's. I want to make a game that changes peoples lives! That's why we all are here! To make good games! And you are one of us! So start your server and drag that a** here to ask us questions! If you get you game to work, I QUARANTEE!! I will try it.

Read, write, learn. That's why this place is here.

Thank you

-P

Some people should perhaps stick to playing games I think. Look at his post history, people have really tried to help this guy, but unfortunately I have to agree with Robin *cough* but
"using Eclipse and all other engines like it require a decent level of common sense, dedication and general computing skills."

Don't discourage him. If he wants to Make a game, we should help him to do it. That's why we are here.

I say again: Read, Write, Learn!

If he thinks that is too hard for him, sure he can go back and play that RuneScape. At least he does know now, what have THEY gone through (was that right?)

@[G2D:

> УV☼ link=topic=46238.msg469864#msg469864 date=1244790512]
> "using Eclipse and all other engines like it require a decent level of common sense, dedication and general computing skills."

Quoted for truth.

@Pasketi:

> Agreed, but it can't stop him trying, you know what i'm saying? Let him try, let him quit, but i say there is a game maker in us all in this forum. Agreed?

lol thats a debate in itself, and no I'm not agreed sorry.. but it's off topic so ill leave it there.

This guy just sounds like he needs someone to hold his hand over MSN or ventrilo or something, because the help obviously isnt working for him.