Find results in...

Runescape - A tedious game??

Xeonpt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@.:Ev1ltyphoon:.:

> Even though I play rs atm, I can agree with most of what you say.
>
> Since the game audience is somewhere around 12 years, I would say this is predictable, but anoying.
>
> How can graphics be annoying? Imo, when gameplay is good, graphics don't need to be good.
>
> Correction: People higher then level 40 on F2P look the same.
> Members have a MUCH bigger variety of items to choose from. And the level 40+ thing? Well, by that time (very rough estimate) most people on F2P have full rune which will indeed look the same on everyone.
>
> What do you want em to do? Focus more on F2P and lose P2P members because they don't get new content. Face it: F2P people (like you and me) can whine as much as they want, but if they quit, they don't hurt Jagex' wallet.
>
> How about magic? and special attacks?
>
> Agree. Since the new graphics, servers have been lagging horribly.
>
> Agree.
>
> Please, don't take anything I said as an insult or a flame, just saying my oppinion

I won't. What you are saying is all true, and finally someone comes with a "counter-review" like yours… what you are saying about the good Runescape when we were younger is true too...
When I was on the 5th grade, I've discovered Runescape in the famous miniclip.com website. It was a quite interesting game. I learned a lot of english with it, and was the game who introduced me to the "MMORPG" world, where we can customize our characters, interact with other people... now, 5 years later I look at Runescape (just has zombie0hour is doing right now) and I think - what happened? Where is the good old Runescape, with nice people, with nice features? Well, since Runescape I've been playing some other MMORPG's... and of course, I grew up... so, it is no longer a good MMORPG... for me.

@Xeonpt:

> I won't. What you are saying is all true, and finally someone comes with a "counter-review" like yours… what you are saying about the good Runescape when we were younger is true too...
> When I was on the 5th grade, I've discovered Runescape in the famous miniclip.com website. It was a quite interesting game. I learned a lot of english with it, and was the game who introduced me to the "MMORPG" world, where we can customize our characters, interact with other people... now, 5 years later I look at Runescape (just has zombie0hour is doing right now) and I think - what happened? Where is the good old Runescape, with nice people, with nice features? Well, since Runescape I've been playing some other MMORPG's... and of course, I grew up... so, it is no longer a good MMORPG... for me.

Yah, Runescape was the gateway MMORPG for me aswell. :D

I played runescape back in the classic days and well Rs2 just isn't the same. If you ask alot of the older classic players they will tell you that Rs2 just doesn't fill the void. I played on a popular classic server that was an exact recreation with only a x2 Rate. We even had some quests working. I quit that after awhile, becasue the admins created a F2P server and they neglected the P2P server. It was free to play both servers but more people seemed to like F2P more, when it was really a piece of poo.

@zombie0hour:

> Its not an opnion, where I live its a **Fact**. The game really is for losers who can't find a better waste of time.

Lol. Its funny and sad at the same time how many people bash people for "wasting" their time playing Runescape when it's them wasting their god damn time to make an anti-runescape campaign or something lol.

@Xeonpt:

> Hello everybody.
>   After about 1 year of playing Runescape. plus some months TRYING to play Runescape again, and now I leave an account to inactivity… Why have I done that?
>
>   First, Runescape have one of the worst communities in the MMORPG world! This because Jagex wants Runescape to be a crappy, childish game and so, 90% of the players don't even have 10 years of life.
>   Second, Runescape graphics are annoying. Over the years, they got a lot better, but I think they could still do better than that.
>   Third, everyone looks the same. Jagex could get a lot of more armour - for warriors, archers and wizards...
>   Fourth, the game is paid. Yeah, some say "n00b ith iz F2P!". What?? You can do nothing in a "F2P" world compared with a retail one!Jagex made de game (100%), then 1% for F2P players and 99% for members! Radicchio! I would never pay for Runescape lol! I would pay WoW, which is far bettr than Runescape. But yet, I don't pay for WoW because it is kind of expensive... (Once played in Private Server..)
>   Fifth, no skills... you select which monster you want to kill, you click on some food and congratulations! You killed a goblin!
>   Sixth, only one playable race...
>   Seventh, too much lag...
>
>   These are the reasons I think Runescape really sucks. Oh I forgot, Pk now is stupid...
>
>   Remember, I am not insulting anyone! You are free to play it and free to like it! I just posted my personal opinion.
>
>   Regards.

1\. This is true. A lot of Runescape's inhabitants are prime examples of awful community members, but just because the community is awful doesn't mean that Jagex has targeted a young audience. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Have you seen the internet these days? A good percent of internet users hide behind the fact that they aren't face to face with someone to wreak havoc. You'll find these people anywhere. Unfortunately, Runescape is one of those free anywheres.

2\. Runescape plays within a browser. The graphics can't be too high quality or it'd lag tremendously. Yes, they are getting better, but it's a style, and it works just fine for their purposes. One of the aspects that makes RS so appealing is the low requirements and lack of downloads involved.

3\. This is also partly true. In the F2P game, there isn't much to do. It hasn't had an update in a while. This is just more incentive to join P2P. There are tons of different builds in P2P.

4\. Yeah, Runescape is mostly a P2P game, admittedly. The free world is much smaller than the paid world. But your argument contradicts yourself. You say that you're only getting 1%, so you'd never pay to play? Wouldn't that be incentive to try out P2P? If you'd be getting 100x content, I don't see your point. And yes, everyone makes the cliché "RS vs. WoW" comparison. They are two totally different games. WoW is combat-based, and Runescape is economy-based. Give that some thought.

5\. RS combat is lame. No arguing there.

6\. I honestly think this was a desperation point. I could list hundreds of successful games that only allowed players to be humans.

7\. RS almost never lagged when I used to play it. There's usually just that pause when entering a new area, but besides that, it was fine.

What I want to know is about this post title. You call Runescape "tedious", yet your whole argument is just general. You've not once addressed anything in regards to tediousity.

Since you wanted to do the whole WoW comparison, here's something to think about.

RS skills vs. WoW skills.
In Runescape, when you level a skill, you gain the ability to make new items or unlock new features. At level 1 crafting, you might be tanning leather, but at level 50, you might be cutting gems. At level 1 cooking, you might be spitting a chicken over a fire, but at level 70, you might be gathering ingredients and baking pies.

In WoW, from level 1 on to level 450, the skills are the exact same. At level 1 leatherworking, you are sewing leather pieces together. At level 450 leatherworking, you're still sewing leather pieces together. At level 1 cooking, you're cooking over a fire. At level 450 cooking, you're still cooking things over fires.

RS Quests vs. WoW Quests
In Runescape, there are hundreds of quests, none of them the same. In one, you might be using a shovel to dig for pirate's treasure. In another, you might be hunting for a dragon.

In WoW, when you begin, you've got to go kill X of thing Y, gather X of item Y, or talk to person X at location Y. When you're high level, it's the same thing, except you have to ride a gryphon for 20 minutes to find that elusive goal Y.

RS new content vs. WoW new content
In Runescape, when something new comes out, you never know what it will be. It could be a new boss, harder than all the rest, or it could be a new low-level area with new quests.

In WoW, every update is the same. You get a new dungeon or new PvP sets. Every expansion is the same. You get 10 more levels in which you go Y-hunting some more.

WoW is purposely set up to drive end-game content, making the player almost HAVE to subscribe to keep up with everyone. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone running Molten Core, yet just a while back it was a fairly popular instance. WoW feeds upon itself. It will never be different. It will only be more. Players run through all the dungeons, then what? What will guide them then? What's left after you've been decked out in raid gear and you've capped at level 80?

Runescape is set up to be economy-driven. The game's been out for years now, but there's still a market for willow logs. Why is this? Because there's stability. Once something new comes out, the game doesn't crumble unto itself. Players influence the economy, and the economy drives skills, and skills drive players. It's cyclical. No matter if you're a newbie or a veteran, you are always a part of the game's economy.

@Sundae:

> Bla bla bla

I completely agree there with everything you have said.

But still, comparing RuneScape to any other game just proves that they both have their strong points, and the point that need improvement.

Personally, the community is the selling point on a mmorpg for me. That's why I hate runescape, it's community sucks!

Alright, I agree with what you've said up until this point:

@Sundae:

> Runescape is set up to be economy-driven. The game's been out for years now, but there's still a market for willow logs. Why is this? Because there's stability. Once something new comes out, the game doesn't crumble unto itself. Players influence the economy, and the economy drives skills, and skills drive players. It's cyclical. No matter if you're a newbie or a veteran, you are always a part of the game's economy.

Runescape's economy is down the drain.  Everything is going towards the rare items, such as party hats, and there is no market for willow logs.  The only reason that the game hasn't crumbled in on itself is constant new content to keep things ever tipping on the edge.  Also, the removal of PvP combat also helped to keep things from tipping over. 

The single biggest problem with Runescape (in my opinion(besides the community)) is the economy.  Poor people don't have much of a chance in the game, and a select few that were lucky enough to get rare items when they came out hold a majority of the in-game wealth.  The economy is becoming more and more unbalanced and harder to keep in check.  It's only a matter of time before they remove something else to keep it steady.

@Sundae:

> 1\. This is true. A lot of Runescape's inhabitants are prime examples of awful community members, but just because the community is awful doesn't mean that Jagex has targeted a young audience. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Have you seen the internet these days? A good percent of internet users hide behind the fact that they aren't face to face with someone to wreak havoc. You'll find these people anywhere. Unfortunately, Runescape is one of those free anywheres.
>
> 2\. Runescape plays within a browser. The graphics can't be too high quality or it'd lag tremendously. Yes, they are getting better, but it's a style, and it works just fine for their purposes. One of the aspects that makes RS so appealing is the low requirements and lack of downloads involved.
>
> 3\. This is also partly true. In the F2P game, there isn't much to do. It hasn't had an update in a while. This is just more incentive to join P2P. There are tons of different builds in P2P.
>
> 4\. Yeah, Runescape is mostly a P2P game, admittedly. The free world is much smaller than the paid world. But your argument contradicts yourself. You say that you're only getting 1%, so you'd never pay to play? Wouldn't that be incentive to try out P2P? If you'd be getting 100x content, I don't see your point. And yes, everyone makes the cliché "RS vs. WoW" comparison. They are two totally different games. WoW is combat-based, and Runescape is economy-based. Give that some thought.
>
> 5\. RS combat is lame. No arguing there.
>
> 6\. I honestly think this was a desperation point. I could list hundreds of successful games that only allowed players to be humans.
>
> 7\. RS almost never lagged when I used to play it. There's usually just that pause when entering a new area, but besides that, it was fine.
>
> What I want to know is about this post title. You call Runescape "tedious", yet your whole argument is just general. You've not once addressed anything in regards to tediousity.
>
> Since you wanted to do the whole WoW comparison, here's something to think about.
>
> RS skills vs. WoW skills.
> In Runescape, when you level a skill, you gain the ability to make new items or unlock new features. At level 1 crafting, you might be tanning leather, but at level 50, you might be cutting gems. At level 1 cooking, you might be spitting a chicken over a fire, but at level 70, you might be gathering ingredients and baking pies.
>
> In WoW, from level 1 on to level 450, the skills are the exact same. At level 1 leatherworking, you are sewing leather pieces together. At level 450 leatherworking, you're still sewing leather pieces together. At level 1 cooking, you're cooking over a fire. At level 450 cooking, you're still cooking things over fires.
>
> RS Quests vs. WoW Quests
> In Runescape, there are hundreds of quests, none of them the same. In one, you might be using a shovel to dig for pirate's treasure. In another, you might be hunting for a dragon.
>
> In WoW, when you begin, you've got to go kill X of thing Y, gather X of item Y, or talk to person X at location Y. When you're high level, it's the same thing, except you have to ride a gryphon for 20 minutes to find that elusive goal Y.
>
> RS new content vs. WoW new content
> In Runescape, when something new comes out, you never know what it will be. It could be a new boss, harder than all the rest, or it could be a new low-level area with new quests.
>
> In WoW, every update is the same. You get a new dungeon or new PvP sets. Every expansion is the same. You get 10 more levels in which you go Y-hunting some more.
>
> WoW is purposely set up to drive end-game content, making the player almost HAVE to subscribe to keep up with everyone. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone running Molten Core, yet just a while back it was a fairly popular instance. WoW feeds upon itself. It will never be different. It will only be more. Players run through all the dungeons, then what? What will guide them then? What's left after you've been decked out in raid gear and you've capped at level 80?
>
> Runescape is set up to be economy-driven. The game's been out for years now, but there's still a market for willow logs. Why is this? Because there's stability. Once something new comes out, the game doesn't crumble unto itself. Players influence the economy, and the economy drives skills, and skills drive players. It's cyclical. No matter if you're a newbie or a veteran, you are always a part of the game's economy.

Roflmao… are you trying to compare RS to WoW? You should not even try it...
Wow combat vs Rs combat:
WoW - skills  Rs-No skills. Nothing more to say.

Wow skills (mining, etc..) vs Rs skills:
In Rs, to win money, you must do all that TEDIOUS part of clicking thousands of times over a rock. In Wow you don't do that. It is easier to level up your skills level and you must be aware of what is around you. It isn't like Runescape, where AI is so dumb... you are in Falador mines, to run away from a Scorpion it is so easy. In WoW they really follow you - AI is smart.

WoW Quests vs Rs quests
You ever played on retail? Quests aren't always the same! I will just give a good example in Lich King expansion: You can "revive" the historic battle of Arthas vs Illidan, being Arthas.

WoW Graphics vs Rs graphics
WoW has one of the best environments in a game. And for the game it is, WoW doesn't require that much system requirements. For example, Sherwood is another MMORPG. It is simple, you only do quests to kill monsters and you go deeper in a Dungeon. Small world, etc... however, Sherwood's graphics are good, and it is played on a browser.

Since I got to go to bed, I can't lose more time answering all other "topics". And Rs never lagged? ROFLMAO

Regards

Although I agree on the skills in RS, they do suck.

For combat, RS has the same skills repeated like 4 times, each one doing slightly more damage.
At least WoW is unique in the fact that all the skills don't look exactly the same!

Oh, but RuneScape does have the Rune system, which makes it unique in it's own … retarded ... way. (no offence)

@Xeonpt:

> Sherwood's graphics are good, and it is played on a browser.

lolwut? Are you high or something?

Anyway: My final thoughts about this thread:

Its lame. This hypocrital, bs thread has turned into a ducking battle between fan boys. Seriously if you don't like Runescape go duck yourself and play WoW. Don't waste 20 hours of your life trying to tell us why Runescape Sucks. If you think WoW sucks then go duck yourself and go play Runescape. I dont fucking care.

/rant

This arguement is wierd, completely

I agree with the Braiton, don't like runescape? don't comment. Don't like WOW? Don't comment. Why would you really spend times on your life commenting how bad they are? First of all, I joined runescape cuz my friend told me to. Then I played and got addicted, and spent about all my time being a free player (and that is about 1 year). I just usually hang out with friends and talk, and while talking, why not try to be funny and slice up a few guard that has no blood?
Pros on runescape: alot of toys
Cons on runescape: Bad combat

I'd rather say runescape is the best game for toys indeed, 3 years of playing and I have a bank full of robes and clothing.
![](http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/russell32896/RSitems.png)

@Xeonpt:

> Roflmao… are you trying to compare RS to WoW? You should not even try it...
> Wow combat vs Rs combat:
> WoW - skills  Rs-No skills. Nothing more to say.
>
> Wow skills (mining, etc..) vs Rs skills:
> In Rs, to win money, you must do all that TEDIOUS part of clicking thousands of times over a rock. In Wow you don't do that. It is easier to level up your skills level and you must be aware of what is around you. It isn't like Runescape, where AI is so dumb... you are in Falador mines, to run away from a Scorpion it is so easy. In WoW they really follow you - AI is smart.
>
> WoW Quests vs Rs quests
> You ever played on retail? Quests aren't always the same! I will just give a good example in Lich King expansion: You can "revive" the historic battle of Arthas vs Illidan, being Arthas.
>
> WoW Graphics vs Rs graphics
> WoW has one of the best environments in a game. And for the game it is, WoW doesn't require that much system requirements. For example, Sherwood is another MMORPG. It is simple, you only do quests to kill monsters and you go deeper in a Dungeon. Small world, etc... however, Sherwood's graphics are good, and it is played on a browser.
>
> Since I got to go to bed, I can't lose more time answering all other "topics". And Rs never lagged? ROFLMAO
>
> Regards

First off, I STATED in that rant, that I compared the two because YOU did. You talked about how WoW was so much better and that RuneScape sucked. You compared them, and I compared them back.

Secondly, thank you for the bit of info regarding the tedious comment, however, is this not the same? In RS, you click on a rock and get ore. In WoW you click on a rock to get ore. You have zero argument there. You stated that you HAVE to mine hundreds of items to get money. This is not true. RS has so many ways to provide stability for oneself. There's a huge difference in concept that you are missing. WoW is combat driven. Skills are money sinks. RS is economy driven. Skills are resource generators. The AI argument, like the mining one, lacks basis. In both games, enemies follow you. In both games, you can run to avoid them. This "AI" that you hype up is merely WoW's tendency to let NPCs run up the side of cliffs or go straight through solid objects. It's not AI so much as it is a simple way to prevent macros.

Third, while you tried to copy my format to compare these (which, BTW, you said was something to not do…that's two hypocrisies in one reply), you did no comparing of quests. You provided one example of something not cookie-cutter from WoW, yet said nothing of RuneScape. RuneScape's quests are ALL different. This is the point I'm trying to make. There is truly no hope for WoW in that regard.

Have you ever watched a video comparing WoW to RS? Ever notice how all they show are graphics and combat? Notice how those are the only points you're winning on? Notice how even I conceded those points? Notice a pattern to these questions?

My point is, everyone wants to harp on RS and bash it, but praise WoW. In my opinion, RuneScape is way more original and has more unique content than WoW will ever have. Sure, WoW will always kill RS in graphics and yes, I know, the combat in WoW is interactive and awesome, but think about it in terms of the whole MMO universe. How many games try to push leveling and graphics? Like 90% of all MMOs out there. WoW's not original, it's just good at being what it is.

And you will likely have a rebuttal to this reply, but before you type out another post like above, just attempt to make an argument against the points I stated in my long post.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I'm not doing this with the intent to piss anyone off. I'm just stating it how I see it. This isn't broad enough for the debate board, but I'd like to be able to continue a WoW vs. RS debate.

And yes, I've not had lag problems in RS. Hilarious, I know. I'm ROFLMAO too.

> Please, just….bah, why am i even trying.

Braiton,geez…
So, now replying to Balliztik1\. Sure I don't want to start a flame war, that is not what I am doing. I was explaining why (BY SOME PEOPLE), Runescape is a tedious game. However, we are totally changing topic's objective to a battle between what is the best - World of Warcraft or Runescape. So, let's start with a huge review with this games.

**-*SOUNDS*-**
Sounds are an important, really important thing at every game. Everybody knows that…
While WoW has real sounds, this means, made with REAL instruments, Runescape sounds look like they have been made in a simple Windows sound editor/maker or whatever. Compare, for example, the quality of the menu sound of Runescape and WoW BC (I am not saying WOTLK because I've never played it, nor the original WoW, this means, without the BC expansion). Totally different! The sounds of the monsters when they attack you and when they die, Runescape doesn't have that. The sounds when you hit somebody, in Runescape they are too simple, like in a old game. In WoW they look real.

**-*GRAPHICS*-**
Nothing to say… WoW features one of the best environments in a game (the best in the MMORPG world...). Graphics are cool, and I heard that "they look the same, just like in a F2P world, because everyone wants that new tier!". Well, you forget one thing in WoW. Here you aren't mage or warrior, you have a lot of classes and sub-classes. For example, I once had a Paladin lvl 70 in WoW. It was a Funserver Realm- high-rates. Well, I would like to be a tank. Tank means, a high defence plus health player, able to support a boss hits. I have one tier for tank. Then there is a Paladin Healer. He heals me when the boss hits me. Well, he will need another type of armor, so he can heal more, faster and without spending that much MP. He doesn't need a tank gear for the function he is doing.

**-*GAMEPLAY*-**
Some people say "Runescape gameplay is very good". Correction: Runescape gameplay is very easy. Easy doesn't mean good. I am a warrior in Runescape. I have some runes and I want to cast a flame strike on my enemy. I got to click on magic tab, click on the spell and sometimes click on the enemy. BORING! I got to move so many times my mouse to cast one spell! In WoW I only need to click one button! 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9… whatever! "To move you character you only need to click on the screen". Well, this way it is easier to move. In WoW we got to move the mouse around and the arrow keys(or ADSW). It is harder (not that much!), even if I like more this type of movement than Runescape's one.

**-*COMBAT*-**
Well, everybody knows WoW's combat is a lot, but a lot better than Runescape's. And Pking is 100 times better than Runescape's too…

**-*QUESTS*-**
I never tried member's quests, but in Runescape, at least for F2P, it is always the same. Yes, Runescape, not WoW.
That quest, I think its name is "Demon Slayer"?The "Dragon Slayer"? Everything goes to the same thing:kill a major monster, a boss… that one to kill the Dracula or whatever its his name?
In WoW yes, there are a lot of quests like "Kill 15 frost wyrms then come back to me". Or "retrieve 10 whatevers" or even "Go speak with Sylvanas Windrunner". But there are also some quests who are different from every else, and even some cutscenes and special things who happen when you are completing a quest. Good rewards are also one thing that WoW is good and Runescape not...

**-*NEW CONTENT*-**
Runescape - I don't know about members new content, but for F2P there is almost no new content! In WoW, every patch, every expansion, brings a new thing. Not only a new dungeon, a new boss and a new tier. I am going to copy one thing from WoW WOTLK FAQ. And it only contains SOME of the new content:
" World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King builds on the rich foundation established in World of Warcraft and its first expansion, The Burning Crusade, by providing a wealth of new content for players to explore in the harsh, forbidding continent of Northrend, home of the Lich King and his undead minions. To contend with the new challenges found there, players can advance to level 80, acquiring potent new abilities and talents along the way.

Wrath of the Lich King introduces the death knight Hero class to World of Warcraft. Furthermore, player-vs.-player battles will reach a new level of intensity with the addition of siege vehicles and destructible buildings, along with a new Battleground, Strand of the Ancients.

The expansion also introduces an abundance of new quests, dungeons, monsters, items, and recipes, as well as a new profession, Inscription. Additional character-customization options will be introduced, such as new hair styles, available in the new barbershops.

In addition, World of Warcraft now has an Achievement system. Achievements are self-contained goals and challenges designed to satisfy goal-oriented players. There are more than 700 individual Achievements covering every aspect of gameplay, including world exploration, PvE, PvP, professions, and character development. Some Achievements come with in-game rewards such as tabards, mounts, vanity pets, and titles, and other players can see your Achievements. All of these rewards are purely cosmetic and just for fun. "
**-*LAG*-**
No lag in Runescape? I got a good internet connection, a compatible computer with the system requirements of Runescape and it still lags.

**-*SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS*-**
Runescape's system requirements are too high for the game it is, and WoW's system requirements are low for the game it is. This means, WoW is good as well in that aspect.

I think there is everything… I hope there is no more "Wow Sucks!Runescape rulez" nor "Runescape - n00b|WoW-Skillz". We all know World of Warcraft is better in almost every aspect(or EVERY ASPECT). You are all free to like one more than the other, but... well, you know.
Just for further information:
[http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html](http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/index.html)
[http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/index.html](http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/index.html)
[http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftwrathofthelichking/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssimilargames&tag=similargames;title;1](http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftwrathofthelichking/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssimilargames&tag=similargames;title;1)
[http://www.gamespot.com/webonly/rpg/runescape/index.html?tag=result;title;0](http://www.gamespot.com/webonly/rpg/runescape/index.html?tag=result;title;0)

Sounds
Yes, WoW also wins there, agreed. This is because WoW is installed on your computer, whereas RuneScape is streamed. That doesn't make the music bad. If there were real instruments playing the compositions for RS, I bet you would not criticize it. I've learned some of RS's songs and many are quite well done pieces of music.

Graphics
I'm confused as to where you went with this. Yes, WoW's graphics are better, but I don't understand where you went with the tank vs. healer thing.

Gameplay
You've taken the arguments from "combat" and called it gameplay. You didn't touch on skills, economy, or any other aspect to create the whole game experience. I think this is why you like WoW so much better. You're only concerned with the combat, which is fine. WoW is combat-oriented, so it's a good thing. But comparing whole games, again, on combat, is not a basis for gameplay as a whole.

Combat
No comment necessary.

Quests
Have you done those three quests? None of them are the same. You don't just kill a dragon, kill a demon, and kill a vampire. In all three, you've got to do other things before it's even possible to take on the quest. Though they are all categorized as "slaying" quests, there are by no means the same. Compare those three to any 3 "kill a boss" quests in WoW and you'd be amazed at the differences. WoW uses a template for quests. RS's quests are done from scratch.

As for rewards, that's opinion whether the rewards are better. In WoW, most of the time you get an item or two from a quest. In RuneScape, quests can unlock new forms of travel, new areas, and more. Sure, you'll never accrue powerful items through questing, but that's not what they are about. And RS does have cutscenes, too.

New Content
Both WoW and RS have big updates on occasion. Yes, RS doesn't update F2P much, but WoW doesn't even have a F2P. In WoW, all the big expansions are released as separate products. In addition to costing 3x the price monthly, every so often, if you want these new things, you've got to pay for the expansions, too. In RS, the membership fee is all you pay. With that, you're guaranteed all the new content, even if it is a large update. RS added an achievement journal, barbershops, new hairstyles, and new skills that allow you to gain higher combat level, all not too long ago, much like WoW did. When it came out, it didn't cost anything to get it. It's all part of the package. Updates don't even require a download in RS. WotLK is fun. I've played it. However, fun as it may be, it's still geared toward end-game development. A good percent of WotLK's content isn't even available until you're able to reach Northrend. Like I said before, RS's updates are various. They don't release exclusively high-level content, and even if the update is only a low-level quest, the design of the quests makes it fun for anyone. If WoW were to release a new level 10 quest, no one would care. The game isn't designed for story. There's no incentive for players (besides reputation gains) to explore all the quest lines once they've surpassed it's recommended level. WoW's design prevents ITSELF from developing anything but end-game content.

Lag
I've played both games, and not lagged much on either. WoW's servers are beasts. Hardly any lag when I play. RS does have those loading lags, which are annoying, but other than that, it's not really too noticeable.

System Requirements
I run both games just fine. WoW is, indeed, very efficient in resource usage. I'm not sure about RS. Never really looked into it.

And yes, I'm aware of the public opinion on WoW vs. RS. WoW is more popular in general. RS gets criticized for its low points, but no one seems to point out the flaws in WoW. They just rate it 9/10 because of its good combat system. The MMORPG world likes its combat. I prefer other things, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WoW. I love the combat system. It is very fine tuned and party combat works superbly. However, RS offers a totally different take on MMORPGs.

*ahem*

That said, let's get this topic back on track. Sorry to derail it.

RuneScape can be repetitive if you play a certain way. RuneScape's experience curve is vastly exponential. Level 93 is half way to 99, in experience terms. This leads to a lot of grinding. The grinding goes on and on, and most people would label this as repetitive. However, I don't play this way. I don't grind skill. I use the skills when I need/want, and if it starts to get boring, then I stop and do something else. There's no need to try to gain the big 13 mil in one sitting. One example of a slow-leveling game is DnD. In Dungeons and Dragons, especially the old versions I used to play as a kid, it could take thousands, and possibly millions of experience to accrue enough levels to finally rain ultimate destruction on your enemies. If you just sat and tried to farm for experience, even the game that really kicked off RPGs could be labeled as tedious. That's why there's other aspects of gameplay to consider. DnD's slow leveling is offset by the fact that it is very RP-heavy. When you gain a level, because experience is rarely doled out, it feels like you earned it. With RuneScape, I just play how I feel, and when I earn some levels, hey, it's good to see that I'm progressing. I've never been a grinder and never will. That's a primary reason why I don't view RS as tedious.

• 1 month later...
@Xeonpt:

> **-*GRAPHICS*-**
> Nothing to say… WoW features one of the best environments in a game (the best in the MMORPG world...). Graphics are cool, and I heard that "they look the same, just like in a F2P world, because everyone wants that new tier!". Well, you forget one thing in WoW. Here you aren't mage or warrior, you have a lot of classes and sub-classes. For example, I once had a Paladin lvl 70 in WoW. It was a Funserver Realm- high-rates. Well, I would like to be a tank. Tank means, a high defence plus health player, able to support a boss hits. I have one tier for tank. Then there is a Paladin Healer. He heals me when the boss hits me. Well, he will need another type of armor, so he can heal more, faster and without spending that much MP. He doesn't need a tank gear for the function he is doing.

What.

Thanks for cutting a small piece out so i could actually read it… and that was enough to tell me not to read any of the other posts lol...

WoW... best graphics in the MMORPG world??? far far from it im afraid, I dont know about 'the best' but
Age of Conan was possibly the best ive seen graphics wise (and biggest, 26 gig install)

@kolten:

> omg this makes me mad why in gods name would you psot a thread so people can FLAME>>!>!>!>!> … your so ignorant.

Actually, most of this thread is pretty flame-less if you ask me. Most of the replies look like they took longer then 15 second to make, they use arguments instead of statements….

My final conclusion to this WoW vs Runescape debate: You can't compare the 2\. One is a game you buy in stores and pay a montly subscription for while the other in browser based and can be played free (or with subscription cost that is 2-3x lower then the other)

• 2 weeks later...