Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jumping for side scrolling… How can I do it?

TT Snim

I'm making a side scrolling game that's going to be some what "Capture the flag" themed and I was wondering how I could add Jumping.  I don't really have jumping planed at the moment because I don't know how to do it.  I'd love to be able to add it to the game.

I've head it is possible and I want to know if that's true and how I can accomplish it.

Theoreticly speaking this can be done by moving the player against your gravity code for a certain time, and when the timer runs out let gravity take control again… Then while the player is jumping disable any kind of direction changing and you should be fine.

Thanks Admiral! 

@Silvh:  Making gravity sounds like a really cool feature!  But the way my tile sets have been made I don't think that would work to well.  I use blocks in my game so you can only move on the tiles that are supposed to be "Ground".  Jumping may not be good for my game.  When I post the images I'm working on it should help me explain what I'm trying to do. 

Thank you much for the info!

You could do directional blocking, like platforms can be jumped onto from below, but from above they prevent you from falling through. And still keep a regular block feature in as well :P Might be a little more complicated when mapping, but I suppose it's worth the hassle in the end.

@AkselJ:

> Well, I suggest you to convert the tile based movement into pixel based movement, and then try to add jumping/gravity.

Excuse me? You do realize pixel movement isn't necessary for people to make a side scroller. I think I might delete Project Vertigo and stop working on it all together since nobody wants to use it. If you're gonna be serious about a project, why are you asking for help in the first place. You should already know what to do. Don't ask for gravity source if you can't code it your self. If you can, then, great! otherwise, best use my engine… it's the best I will ever give you people.

he never specificly asked for SOURCE CODE on it, he just asked for help on how to achieve such a thing ;) I myself have a general idea, as you have to 'push' the player down the Y axis to simulate gravity and such. A very basic and simplified idea but when worked on it can be turned into something great.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Excuse me? You do realize pixel movement isn't necessary for people to make a side scroller.

I didn't say necessary it's just alot better.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> I think I might delete Project Vertigo and stop working on it all together since nobody wants to use it.

Open source = more poeple ;)

@Silvh:

> he never specificly asked for SOURCE CODE on it, he just asked for help on how to achieve such a thing ;)

Notice that TT Snim is not 'he'

@AkselJ:

> Open source = more poeple ;)

That could be true, but if i was MrMiguu i wouldn't do it myself 2\. What if some dudes, going to add it a little and claim it for their own, or just only use this project to get to MrMiguu's Source edits. I encourage this to stay closed so that only the true owner can handle his project. And you want to add some stuff into your sidescroller? Well 2 options, 1\. Maybe MrMiguu adds it if it is good for the rest. 2\. Just learn Vb6\. And like i was saying in my previous reply in this topic. Because its closed i'm encouraging myself to learn VB6, so i can handle on my own. But after that i will still Credit Project Vertrigo and MrMiguu for the encouragement to learn Vb6 and that folks is something good.

Btw for MrMiguu; I won't stop you if you wish/want to close the Project but all i will say is : Ignore the people who wants this open sourced, they have no power or might to tell you what to do but just focus on the people who love to have a Sidescroller and wish to work hard to get 1 and later or maybe soon to learn VB6 to stand on your own feet. Its just like a Mentor learning his Students something and when they mastered it, they will use it and maybe pass it on.  ;)  :azn:

I don't really think it could be that hard I'm a add SideScroller to my engine.

All you would have to do really is, preferrably but not necessarily, make it pixel based as that makes it easier (at least in my opinion), then, add an gravity factor deciding how long/high you can jump and after that you drop down. If I'm not mistaken though.