Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chaoscraft - 2D Sidescrolling Skilling ORPG

Hey! We're still here, don't you worry! I've got lots of news, some bad some good.

To begin, rangerofthewest is doing a wonderful job converting the engine from Visual Basic 6 to Java, we currently have a fully functional main menu screen that can be viewed on Linux, Mac, and Window builds. A screenshot of said main screen can be found in the spoiler below, please note the screenshot was taken on a Mac.

>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/SEwmpqe.png)

I have even bigger news, some may take this as bad, others may take it as good. We've decided to go with turn-based combat. We think that this has more potential for a sidescrolling game, and the combination of strategy and skilling is a game that has yet to be made. I think, if done right, it could be very interesting and put an end to most of Eclipses generic and boring combat systems. If you'd like to know more about what we are doing, I suggest registering on the forums as most of my team posts there, rather than here, the board is not viewable until registering. Thanks!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think having to register in order to get to know about a game I possibly want to play is stupid. You are just hiding information from possible fans who may not want to throw their data into another registration form. 

About the turnbased combat I think that sidescrollers always benefited from a more action-style gameplay but I'm interested in how that will turn out.

-seal

I did that because the amount of spambots that attacked the last website was ridiculous, and also one of the reasons we moved. I'll take another precaution and allow guests to view the board. With turn based combat, it was the coders idea, and I decided rather than fighting or saying something about it, why not try it? It could actually turn out really fun and versatile.

@CMFiend420 Because the browser's ability to process things is innately inferior to that of your end user's operating system. So things may come up as choppy (it depends, though) on their end. That would bring down the quality of any game's overall feel to that of "poor quality."

> @CMFiend420 Because the browser's ability to process things is innately inferior to that of your end user's operating system. So things may come up as choppy (it depends, though) on their end. That would bring down the quality of any game's overall feel to that of "poor quality."

Well, I suppose doing things the right way will avoid that common error.

> @CMFiend420 If you can do it, man, do it! You were probably already aware of the browser's inferior processing anyways, so nothing I'm telling you is really all that new.

Yeah, I've known the browser can always be a bit…iffy. If anything is done right, we can do it. I'm very happy with the new programmer because he seems to know what hes doing, and he's doing very well, so I have no doubts :)

> looks pretty awesome dude. good luck with it.

Thanks man! Appreciate it ^^

> The Browser shouldn't be a problem. Look at Spiral Knights (Java MMORPG using LWJGL), it is in 3d and has no problems. And a 2d game isn't too expensive processing&graphics-wise so you should be fine if your programmer is not a total moron ;)
>
> Any updates?
>
>  
>
> -seal

> Good point, Seal. Forgot about Spiral Knights! That's an excellent counter-example.

I actually used to play Spiral Knights. The updates are slow because coding the engine is a rather..uneventful process. Theres really not much to show when your coding the server (the current stage we are at now) though, the last time I heard from Rangerofthewest (yesterday) he had said that he has connection to the server, the FPS is very good, the combat system is atleast in place, and some-what working, but the servers giving a little trouble as server code is always a * but he said its coming along very nice.

With my programmer, I have no doubt being in a browser will be a good choice :)

Edit: New devolpment blog posted straight from ccubed3.com/forums

Titled: #2 - CMFiend420: Recent Philosophies

>! So recently, the Chaoscraft team has been putting 120% towards helping Rangerofthewest develop the engine in the coding language known as Java. With that being said, its hard to release updates on code, especially when all your coding is the nitty-gritty of the engine. Its hard to relate to normal users as the code wouldn't make much sense to them, and to share it, it could possibly mean giving out valuable information on how the game works and then could be manipulated. 
>! So with the coding of the engine, and the common  bore of the forums (due to lack of users) I will be trying to give things a little spice. I've had tons of ideas that I'd like to go into the game that I think will do remarkable. Since its going to be a long time until these idea's are implemented, lets write them down before they are forgotten in the (small) depths of my brain. With that, I present to thee: 
>! **Chaos Arena's**
>! Chaos Arena's are much like a World of Warcrafts battlegrounds, but how could you have Capture the Flag in a turn based combat system? Well, its actually not so complicated. Chaoscraft features 3 different types of battlegrounds.
>! * Arena
* Domination
* Survival
>! **Arena**
>! Arena features 1v1 PvP (player vs. player) combat, 2v2 PvP combat, and 3v3 PvP combat. It also has a ladder for 10v10 PvP combat. The catch is simple, players agree on a mutual fee to play the arena, or if a member created a ladder for free, then you are all set. Lets say the mutual fee was 100 currency. Then in a 2v2 PvP match, the pot would be 400 currency. The players battle it out in an all out death match, and the winners split the pot. Happy battling!
>! **Domination**
>! Domination is the act of capturing the flag. 1 capture wins the game, 0/0 games end up as a draw. Domination features the defending team to place the flag anywhere on the board (usually behind a line of tank and melee characters) and the attacking team must kill the team, get the flag and return to their side of the attacking board to score. The game is played 10 minutes a round, and at the end of the round, the teams switch being defenders and attackers. 
>! **Survival**
>! Survival is a unique and skill designed battleground. Survival requires resources to win. Survival features 3 key resources in order to win:
>! * Ore (Mining)
* Lumber (Woodcutting)
* Food/Water (Cooking)
>! Both teams start out with 0 in all categories of resources. For each member of the team that has either a skill in 99 woodcutting, mining, or cooking, that team gains 10 points for the respected skills that are level 99\. The objective? Reach 150 resources in all categories. 
>! Both teams start out at opposite sides of the map. The teams fight their way through the map, where the giant mound of resources sits in the middle. Players battle it out as players skill their way to victory. Lead your team into a battle of blood vs. the nature of _Survival._
>! **Player Range, Attack Efficiency, and Tactical Team Placement**
>! With the new turn based combat system, comes some tactical team skills, management and communication. When players enter a party, and a player initiates combat, wherever you are is where you are in combat. Lets say your a Hero, Magi, and Archaeus. PlayerH, PlayerM, and PlayerA. PlayerH is the tank, so he intiates combat. He hit the mob which started combat, so he's standing in front of the mob. But PlayerM is the healer, so he's 5 tiles away, the maximum range for his heals. PlayerA isn't as far away, but he's ranged so his attacks are useless up close. PlayerM heals PlayerH as PlayerH tanks and damages, PlayerA stays away from damage efficiently and the monster is defeated.
>! Some attacks are more efficient when they are close. For example, a Magi's_Firey Scorch_ spell is most effective right in front of the mob, but they also have an attack _Starstorm_ that is most effective 7 tiles away. All classes have specific skills like these, and tactical placement and moving will be very key. 
>! Weapons also have the same characteristic. Daggers, swords, axes, maces, and most other melee weapons are most effective when you right in front of the mob, but weapons such as wands, spells, guns, bows, crossbows, and thrown are much more effective at a ranged level. 
>! Some items will even give players advantages. The _Phoenix Feather_ item allows a player to complete 2 actions in 1 turn, such as using another item AND attacking. This item can only be used once, and cannot be used in PvP combat or Chaos Arenas. 
>! That's all for today, I hope I tickled your fancy! Stay tuned for more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
> I liked your screenshots of custom gfx, good to see :) Too many games with default gfx, they just won't get played tbh and waste of time making them.

Unfortunately work on this game has stopped although the engine and graphics are available somewhere on here

• 1 month later...
Well, I have some good news for yall! Me and Seb have been talking on Skype and as a Christmas present to you all (LOL) we have decided to begin development on Chaoscraft once again. We decide to do things a little different this time, however the game will essentially stay the same. We will be using the bug-free and fixed version of the VB6 engine we used originally in the beginning. We will be changing how stats work, what they are and what they do, weapon types, etc. We will be changing the way combat will be working. 

When we decided to use java, we were going to go take-turn battle however we decided that we are not going to use this system. We will have the loved 2D sidescroller feel for combat, we decided its much more enjoyable this way. We will also be using (what he have left) of the tilesets and sprites that were used before, and continue development upon them.

I have released my engine and my graphics to the community to use for free, because I am starting this project, this does NOT mean that you CAN'T use them. They are still free to use, however, I will be using them as well! Anything that we now add to the engine and/or tilesheet/sprites, will not be added to aforementioned posts.

We hope you stick around, because over the next couple of days we hope to have something to excite you! We are currently searching for pixel artists and a programmer, if you are at all interested in any position, mapping even, just let me know and I'll see if I can make a fit, thanks!

Thanks mate! I'm trying to get our team of pixel artists and programmers back, I want people who can dedicate as much time as possible to pixel art, I want to pump art out at a crazy rate and start mapping. If you are interested in ANY position (mapper, artist, etc) then feel free to PM me, as I need the help with such a big project ^ ^

Thanks, Marsh. Originally we began with a blank Project Vertigo, we then moved to Zoptos Bubble Striker engine, where we ended up taking that engine and optimizing it. We dropped that idea and went browser with Java, and after that disaster we've decided to turn to the Bubble Strikers Engine that we tweaked and now call Project Cubed. 

tldr; We are using a heavily modified version of the Bubble Strikers Engine

> Thanks, Marshy dearest. Originally we began with a blank Project Vertigo, we then moved to Zoptos Bubble Striker engine, where we ended up taking that engine and optimizing it. We dropped that idea and went browser with Java, and after that disaster we've decided to turn to the Bubble Strikers Engine that we tweaked and now call Project Cubed. 
>
>  
>
> tldr; We are using a heavily modified version of the Bubble Strikers Engine

yay! my engine back in action! xD