Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Eclipse Evolution] Looking for Developers

Mellowz

As most of you already know, I look for developers from time to time.

Right now, I'm looking for developers for the Visual Basic 6 version of Eclipse Evolution.

You need experience in:

* Understanding how Visual Basic 6 works.
* Understanding how Eclipse works.
* DirectX7 (DirectX8 is a plus)
* Capable of working as a **team**
* Optimization techniques
* Debugging code line-by-line
* Sample work which is open-source

Well, just to start off im going to tell you, Mellowz that that I have been using eclipse for 4(edit)years now and I have yet not been able to help this community as much as I would like to.

I do know vb.6 ( not really well, but I know all the basics and such.)
I know how eclipse works, somewhat.

I work excellent with other people.
I am willing to learn almost about anything, the only thing is I am not u really familiar with dx7.

just thought I might ask, is there anyway or anything I could be of an assistance?

I would really like to help in anyway possible  ^^

just wanted to see if its even possible.

Thanks.

It's not really so much know how Eclipse works, as knowing Eclipse's source.

I think the skill you need most whilst programming an engine like this, is problem solving. Most of the time, you'll be tracing packet trails, going through your code line by line, debugging problems which may occur… things like that.

Apart from that, Joe and I have a very intimate knowledge of both Eclipse's source code, and Visual Basic 6\. We're not here to teach you to program, we need someone on the team who's willing to ease the weight off our shoulders and pull their own weight.

@Robin:

> It's not really so much know how Eclipse works, as knowing Eclipse's source.
>
> I think the skill you need most whilst programming an engine like this, is problem solving. Most of the time, you'll be tracing packet trails, going through your code line by line, debugging problems which may occur… things like that.
>
> Apart from that, Joe and I have a very intimate knowledge of both Eclipse's source code, and Visual Basic 6\. We're not here to teach you to program, we need someone on the team who's willing to ease the weight off our shoulders and pull their own weight.

What he said. A good way of knowing if you have enough knowledge is if you can recall any sub-routine or function in Eclipse for performing a specific act.

I'm not here to teach people, even though I'd love to… would make things a lot easier, but I just don't have the time.

Lol, saying that, Mellow, stumped everyone just now. Is Eclipse 2.9 going to be just optimizations? Any new features intended to be inserted? Elaborate on the meaning of the next version… I might want to help since I am already a developer and can call any sub-routine and/or function to perform specific acts.

@[SB:

> Damian666 link=topic=51138.msg535483#msg535483 date=1251667972]
> as long as it doesnt go to deep, i can be of help ^^

Most of Eclipse's problems _are_ deep, that's the problem. The latest SVN has a lot of server-side systems re-written to be of a higher standard.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Lol, saying that, Mellow, stumped everyone just now. Is Eclipse 2.9 going to be just optimizations? Any new features intended to be inserted? Elaborate on the meaning of the next version… I might want to help since I am already a developer and can call any sub-routine and/or function to perform specific acts.

I already have a change log of the features done in 2.8\. I know I keep changing version numbers, but I'm going to be re-releasing 2.8 as a full version of new features, fixes, and optimizations. There's an in-complete change log in the private developer forums.

Is this release going to be just optimizations? No. A lot of systems are being re-written for the DirectX8 update. For example, the movement system, needs an extra column for 3 frame movement.

Most ex-developers have had their SVN rights removed due to the fact that they're inactive right off the bat. It's like I get them on the team and that's all they want. @_@

However, I believe I have you on MSN, so you can just PM me for any more information. ^^,

@Robin:

> Most of Eclipse's problems _are_ deep, that's the problem. The latest SVN has a lot of server-side systems re-written to be of a higher standard.

well… im good at following packet trails, if i have a start point that is XD, but if its THAT deep, then i would only slow ya down...

so... never mind, but remember i am here to help with repetive stuff, and leftovers that just dont seem to get done ^^

Well when it comes to re-writes, I am so-so. I usually only rewrite current features such as bank/shop/etc. for my games but in this case, I don't have much of an idea of how to setup for a DX7 to DX8 transfer. Thank you for the explanation.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Well when it comes to re-writes, I am so-so. I usually only rewrite current features such as bank/shop/etc. for my games but in this case, I don't have much of an idea of how to setup for a DX7 to DX8 transfer. Thank you for the explanation.

You would just be re-writing the current systems and implementing byte arrays. I'm doing the DirectX work.

@Mellowz:

> You would just be re-writing the current systems and implementing byte arrays. I'm doing the DirectX work.

Well I only have the repeating damage blt code as far as implementing byte arrays goes. I have been re-writing systems ever since I can remember… I think, since I am up to my neck in AP homework this year, I will just stand back and watch. Thanks anyways.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> Well I only have the repeating damage blt code as far as implementing byte arrays goes. I have been re-writing systems ever since I can remember… I think, since I am up to my neck in AP homework this year, I will just stand back and watch. Thanks anyways.

Alright. I also updated the requirements.

I do know vb6 pretty well ive been working with it for a year and a half
I know how eclipse's source ive worked with that and such.
I work excellent as a team i listen to peoples idea then tell them mine and go by what people say.
and i am willing to do this of course i know how to debug.
but i dont know everything about dx7 just some bits.

so if you want me just ask :)

,fletcher

@[SB:

> ƒℓєт¢нєя link=topic=51138.msg536889#msg536889 date=1251815128]
> I do know vb6 pretty well ive been working with it for a year and a half
> I know how eclipse's source ive worked with that and such.
> I work excellent as a team i listen to peoples idea then tell them mine and go by what people say.
> and i am willing to do this of course i know how to debug.
> but i dont know everything about dx7 just some bits.
>
> so if you want me just ask :)
>
> ,fletcher

Have you worked on any games or re-written anything in Eclipse?

custom menu's isnt exactly hard to fix in eclipse though. just make a load of index's of each thin, like have more than 1 picture box onj the form and it never crasshes :P i think i put it up to something like 20 of each on kryce's source and i've never had a problem since