Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Graphics too large?

Maeglin

I'm working on a mmorpg right now and have spent about a month developing graphics for it.  now I'm having trouble loading the client on my slightly less competent computer (causes it to freeze cause the process takes up 200k kb of memory). Even though Im using a slightly older version of eclipse, I think the problem is the size of my graphics.  Right now my sprites.bmp is taking up 16mb and my intems set was at 32 but I cut it down to 12. 

Regardless of whether I just need to get a newer computer or whether its just the older version, I am wondering whether there any existing, working templates that will alow me to break graphics from one file into several, and does anyone have any additional tips on making the client side of the program run faster but not compromise detail/features?

@K1ng:

> Wait for SE. Graphics are streamed directly from your servers hd, and the client itself is around 1mb.

So you're telling him to wait around like everyone else here who isn't doing anything? Why not suggest something more practical like, I don't know, converting his game from paperdoll to regular items so he doesn't have to worry about all the extra processing that Eclipse takes to make them actually appear. The paperdoll files are usually huge so switching would be the best idea.

@[DEVELOPER:

> MrMiguuâ„¢ link=topic=52821.msg558707#msg558707 date=1255377993]
> So you're telling him to wait around like everyone else here who isn't doing anything? Why not suggest something more practical like, I don't know, converting his game from paperdoll to regular items so he doesn't have to worry about all the extra processing that Eclipse takes to make them actually appear. The paperdoll files are usually huge so switching would be the best idea.

That eliminates a huge feature of the game, I wouldn't want to produce a MMO without the ability to see what you've equipt. According to what I've heard everything can be converted, so he can still work on his game. I'm in the same boat so I don't see where you're coming from, I think nearly everyone is. I believe image formats are being changed for SE to also reduce graphics size period. He could also source it if he really wants to keep an off version of Eclipse.

@K1ng:

> That eliminates a huge feature of the game, I wouldn't want to produce a MMO without the ability to see what you've equipt. According to what I've heard everything can be converted, so he can still work on his game. I'm in the same boat so I don't see where you're coming from, I think nearly everyone is. I believe image formats are being changed for SE to also reduce graphics size period. He could also source it if he really wants to keep an off version of Eclipse.

That may be true but working without dated computer equipment will cause that. You can't expect to make an amazing ORPG on an old computer that won't even process simple features correctly.

• 1 month later...