Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My first sword I have made :P

Pieguy

![](http://i50.tinypic.com/2euqr08.jpg)

Edit: Ugh I wish tinypic didn't give it that slight blur  :evil:

Feel free to tell me what you think of it.  I don't mind if you say it stinks.  But if you do please tell WHY it stinks.  If you can't really see it then just ask me and ill try to make the image bigger.

@defendersdef:

> nice, shaded, well ballenced, and not to big, 10/10 for you being a newb and making this :D

newb means nothing, there are "newbs" who could pwn us in the gfx department; registration time on this website doesn't mean they suck although that is true for a large majority

better sword then I could make :D

Looks very nice! I wish I could pixel like that.

@Draothgorin:

> @defendersdef:
>
> > nice, shaded, well ballenced, and not to big, 10/10 for you being a newb and making this :D
>
> newb means nothing, there are "newbs" who could pwn us in the gfx department; registration time on this website doesn't mean they suck although that is true for a large majority

this.

The palette is too saturated to give much detail. With pixel art, the trick is to use as few colours as possible to give your work contrast.

Save your work as .PNG because most image hosting sites turn .BMP into .JPG, and it's impossible to really judge the work when it's so small and when it's lost so much quality.

If only i could zoom in on it… But from here it looks ok. Seems to have a very small handle compared to the rest of it. Also it looks like you used to many colors as robin pointed out. Alot of pixle artists that i know use 4 or 5 colors in there work. Seems like you used alot.(i may be wrong)

I bet you a million bucks I can make your sword look way better then yours and only use 5 colors.

Take it from a spriter such as myself. Using limited amount of colors is important. If you use as many colors as you want, then you'd be using unnecessary shades that could be accomplished with techniques. Also using too many shades could just make your sprite look gradient-shaded. refer to my tutorial, I use only a few colors and I'm sure you'll agree it looks professional.

@Kreator:

> I bet you a million bucks I can make your sword look way better then yours and only use 5 colors.
>
> Take it from a spriter such as myself. Using limited amount of colors is important. If you use as many colors as you want, then you'd be using unnecessary shades that could be accomplished with techniques. Also using too many shades could just make your sprite look gradient-shaded. refer to my tutorial, I use only a few colors and I'm sure you'll agree it looks professional.

That's the kind of explanation I was looking for.  Thanks.  But what about if I have to use more colors because the item I make is a replica of something and it has more than 5-6 different colors on it?

@Pieguy:

> @Keebler:
>
> > It will look better with less colors more likely though.
>
> But not positively.

Contrast makes something look like it does. Saturated graphics just blend together, it's how human vision is.

Here's an example.

![](http://emptyeasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/detailofpixelartbyyuriygusev.jpg)

Notice the walls? They look good. Did they use dozens of colours? No. They used 6 or 7.

As most people are too lazy to do things I tell them, rather than telling you to zoom in, I did it for you.

![](http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2699/rawrz.png)

Again, it's just how art works. I'm sure someone much more talented than I could explain it technically to you, but all you need to know is that it is like it is.

@Pieguy:

> That's the kind of explanation I was looking for.  Thanks.  But what about if I have to use more colors because the item I make is a replica of something and it has more than 5-6 different colors on it?

Pixel art isn't replicating. It's re-creating the piece using a new medium, one which relies on contrast to work. Pixel art is much more unforgiving than other art forms. A single pixel out of place can make the entire thing look wrong.

Im pretty awesome when it comes to graphics but actual pixel graphics and sticking to limited colours and pallettes, thats when I struggle. Its easier to create graphics as you see them, rather with pixel art its more difficult as it looks totally different to when you edit as when you view it (zoomed out)

I think anyone who can turn out good pixel graphics using 5-6 colours is truely tallented, and I could definitely use someone like that to teach me how to pixel-art :)