What "are" you?

yorty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Yorty:

> Not many true Americans, eh?

Define "true american". Last I checked, americans were made up of French, British, Spanish, and so forth. A true american would be a native.
To be of something, it must be a place of origin. "Americans" migrated from elsewhere.

Even "natives" were migrants back when the land bridge was around.

Also the United States (and Canada) is made up of immigrants – it always has been. That's one of it's main advantages (of course short-sighted "dey took er jerbs!" people would disagree).

And if you go back to "true americans" which would be colonials -- they were all European anyway!

Actually, studies show that too much cultural diversity without asymalation and/or no unified national goal (which is lacking in most Americans) leads to volience, hatred and a torn country. I'm all for immigration, but come on people. If you come to this country, leave your old life behind and asymalate into society … which means learn ENGLISH and look for a better standard of living you bloody morons.

- Adulese

@[SB:

> Teh Adulese link=topic=55091.msg584384#msg584384 date=1260486594]
> Actually, studies show that too much cultural diversity without asymalation and/or no unified national goal (which is lacking in most Americans) leads to volience, hatred and a torn country. I'm all for immigration, but come on people. If you come to this country, leave your old life behind and asymalate into society … which means learn ENGLISH and look for a better standard of living you bloody morons.
>
> - Adulese

But the United States HAS had decent assimilation, atleast until the more recent generations. Personally I blame "multi-culturalism" and political correctness. It's one thing to have some recollection of your cultural background and heritage, but it's another thing to focus on that more than the current culture you live in.

The U.S. in regards to assimilation is still much better suited than most of western Europe.