Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Copyright Question @Important@

Tompwnage

I've been using Eclipse and ''Wow'' its pretty awsome the things you can do with it.

But I was looking at everything and… I found something. Since someone that wants to play your game has to download your Client Folder. Can't they just Copy and Paste most off the stuff off your Client. Basicly run it on another client and Sever and claim its their work. Or is there some kind of Copyright protecting someones work?  :icon_crap:

Please reply, and Thank you for reading my post.

Well, they won't have all the spells, npcs, items etc, because you only give them the client, not the server, which holds that info. But they can steal the graphics. The thing about this is, if you see someone stealing your graphics and posting a game on Eclipse, you can tell and Admin (red name) or a moderator (blue name, like my own) and we will warn them and remove the graphics.

You could get a license for your graphics though.

@Soul:

> Well, they won't have all the spells, npcs, items etc, because you only give them the client, not the server, which holds that info. But they can steal the graphics. The thing about this is, if you see someone stealing your graphics and posting a game on Eclipse, you can tell and Admin (red name) or a moderator (blue name, like my own) and we will warn them and remove the graphics.
>
> You could get a license for your graphics though.

Ok thanks! One more question, on the resource section people post resources. What happens if someone posts something Copyrighted and people use it without knowing it is?

Well, we issue a warn to the person whom took the copyrighted material and posted it on these forums. Then, we inform the users that it's copyrighted, and hopefully, they comply and remove it, otherwise the are warned too.

But most of the time, we won't take away ripped sprites simply because the company probably wouldn't care as long as the game doesn't steal profits or deter customers. If they do care, they'll tell you to stop or else they will take legal action, if you stop, all is good.

@Soul:

> Well, we issue a warn to the person whom took the copyrighted material and posted it on these forums. Then, we inform the users that it's copyrighted, and hopefully, they comply and remove it, otherwise the are warned too.
>
> But most of the time, we won't take away ripped sprites simply because the company probably wouldn't care as long as the game doesn't steal profits or deter customers. If they do care, they'll tell you to stop or else they will take legal action, if you stop, all is good.

Oh awsome. =) Thanks a million guys. This gamem maker is awsome. ^^

@Soul:

> Well, they won't have all the spells, npcs, items etc, because you only give them the client, not the server, which holds that info. But they can steal the graphics. The thing about this is, if you see someone stealing your graphics and posting a game on Eclipse, you can tell and Admin (red name) or a moderator (blue name, like my own) and we will warn them and remove the graphics.
>
> You could get a license for your graphics though.

That's still not effective though, in the more professional world, you actually acquire patents, licenses, copyright, trademarks, etc. at your government. In which case, if somebody steals you "work", you could just sue them and get money in return.

We can't actually act as we, Eclipse, have nothing to do with your graphics and such. We can, however, hand out warnings, but actually we shouldn't care about it as it is not our deal as long as there isn't a rule broken on the website itself or as long as somebody breaks a rule where we have to take responsibility, e.g. uploading illegal content to Eclipse. So the best way is to manage copyrights and such yourself, because we simply aren't and shouldn't be responsible for it, at the end it's actually your game and not ours.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @Soul:
>
> > Well, they won't have all the spells, npcs, items etc, because you only give them the client, not the server, which holds that info. But they can steal the graphics. The thing about this is, if you see someone stealing your graphics and posting a game on Eclipse, you can tell and Admin (red name) or a moderator (blue name, like my own) and we will warn them and remove the graphics.
> >
> > You could get a license for your graphics though.
>
> That's still not effective though, in the more professional world, you actually acquire patents, licenses, copyright, trademarks, etc. at your government. In which case, if somebody steals you "work", you could just sue them and get money in return.
>
> We can't actually act as we, Eclipse, have nothing to do with your graphics and such. We can, however, hand out warnings, but actually we shouldn't care about it as it is not our deal as long as there isn't a rule broken on the website itself or as long as somebody breaks a rule where we have to take responsibility, e.g. uploading illegal content to Eclipse. So the best way is to manage copyrights and such yourself, because we simply aren't and shouldn't be responsible for it, at the end it's actually your game and not ours.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Got it. =)

@Soul:

> The graphics that come with Eclipse are not ours, nor are you allowed to use them without buying a licence. Those graphics are simply for an example of how your graphics should look.

Alright, Thanks.

Btw, where do I buy a licence for thoose graphics that eclipse comes with?

Also, I noticed most created games *Under the section in this forum* Use atleast slightly the Default tiles/sprites, so technically you could use the default tiles/sprites aslong as the company doesn't care?

P.S. I am eternaly sorry for so many questions. I would like to fully understand something before I make a mistake.

@Tompwnage:

> @Soul:
>
> > The graphics that come with Eclipse are not ours, nor are you allowed to use them without buying a licence. Those graphics are simply for an example of how your graphics should look.
>
> Alright, Thanks.
>
> Btw, where do I buy a licence for thoose graphics that eclipse comes with?

I think the license it automatically bought when you buy RPG Maker itself. However, the license of that application explicitly states that you can only use them in RPG Maker.

@Tompwnage:

> Also, I noticed most created games *Under the section in this forum* Use atleast slightly the Default tiles/sprites, so technically you could use the default tiles/sprites aslong as the company doesn't care?
>
> P.S. I am eternaly sorry for so many questions. I would like to fully understand something before I make a mistake.

You could, however, there's still a risk of getting sued, but there are a lot of factors where that depends on, such as publicity and commercial usage generally.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Tompwnage:

> Can't they just Copy and Paste most off the stuff off your Client. Basicly run it on another client and Sever and claim its their work.

You can stop people from steeling your client by just changing the IP address in config.ini by placing the IP address into the .exe. Then there is no way that they can change it for their server.

@Lenton:

> @Tompwnage:
>
> > Can't they just Copy and Paste most off the stuff off your Client. Basicly run it on another client and Sever and claim its their work.
>
> You can stop people from steeling your client by just changing the IP address in config.ini by placing the IP address into the .exe. Then there is no way that they can change it for their server.

Assembly.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> @Tompwnage:
>
> > @Soul:
> >
> > > The graphics that come with Eclipse are not ours, nor are you allowed to use them without buying a licence. Those graphics are simply for an example of how your graphics should look.
> >
> > Alright, Thanks.
> >
> > Btw, where do I buy a licence for thoose graphics that eclipse comes with?
>
> I think the license it automatically bought when you buy RPG Maker itself. However, the license of that application explicitly states that you can only use them in RPG Maker.
>
> @Tompwnage:
>
> > Also, I noticed most created games *Under the section in this forum* Use atleast slightly the Default tiles/sprites, so technically you could use the default tiles/sprites aslong as the company doesn't care?
> >
> > P.S. I am eternaly sorry for so many questions. I would like to fully understand something before I make a mistake.
>
> You could, however, there's still a risk of getting sued, but there are a lot of factors where that depends on, such as publicity and commercial usage generally.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

So basicly, I am only allowed to use them in the Rpg maker and not publish them, their license only states they are to be used in the rpg maker and that only. They are to be replaced with something else?

Correct?

@Tompwnage:

> @Godlord:
>
> > @Tompwnage:
> >
> > > @Soul:
> > >
> > > > The graphics that come with Eclipse are not ours, nor are you allowed to use them without buying a licence. Those graphics are simply for an example of how your graphics should look.
> > >
> > > Alright, Thanks.
> > >
> > > Btw, where do I buy a licence for thoose graphics that eclipse comes with?
> >
> > I think the license it automatically bought when you buy RPG Maker itself. However, the license of that application explicitly states that you can only use them in RPG Maker.
> >
> > @Tompwnage:
> >
> > > Also, I noticed most created games *Under the section in this forum* Use atleast slightly the Default tiles/sprites, so technically you could use the default tiles/sprites aslong as the company doesn't care?
> > >
> > > P.S. I am eternaly sorry for so many questions. I would like to fully understand something before I make a mistake.
> >
> > You could, however, there's still a risk of getting sued, but there are a lot of factors where that depends on, such as publicity and commercial usage generally.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Godlord.
>
> So basicly, I am only allowed to use them in the Rpg maker and not publish them, their license only states they are to be used in the rpg maker and that only. They are to be replaced with something else?
>
> Correct?

eclipse has been running 3 years now without a complaint about how eclispe uses their stuff, and still havent even taken action. if they cared, they would have closed down eclipse by now

Regardless how many people have used it though doesn't ensure I will have safe usage over the graphics problem less. I really just want to do everything legal.

Intresting, but when someone is in use of thoose graphics, do they have to issue you a warning before they can sue, Or can they just straight away sue?

Is there anyway posible I could buy the license to use thoose graphics as in to publish a game? -> Do I email them or anything I need to do to get the license <-

P.S. Sorry for the endless amount of questions x)

@Tompwnage:

> Regardless how many people have used it though doesn't ensure I will have safe usage over the graphics problem less. I really just want to do everything legal.
>
> Intresting, but when someone is in use of thoose graphics, do they have to issue you a warning before they can sue, Or can they just straight away sue?
>
> Is there anyway posible I could buy the license to use thoose graphics as in to publish a game? -> Do I email them or anything I need to do to get the license <-
>
> P.S. Sorry for the endless amount of questions x)

if they dont have a pattan on it, then you patten it and sue them
its that simple

@SHADERS:

> @Tompwnage:
>
> > Regardless how many people have used it though doesn't ensure I will have safe usage over the graphics problem less. I really just want to do everything legal.
> >
> > Intresting, but when someone is in use of thoose graphics, do they have to issue you a warning before they can sue, Or can they just straight away sue?
> >
> > Is there anyway posible I could buy the license to use thoose graphics as in to publish a game? -> Do I email them or anything I need to do to get the license <-
> >
> > P.S. Sorry for the endless amount of questions x)
>
> if they dont have a pattan on it, then you patten it and sue them
> its that simple

Dam, how much can they actually sue for? (If its worth taking the risk)

Here's an interesting topic that used to be pinend for awhile: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40644.0
The same pretty much applies to any copyrighted material, and it's an interesting read.

Another topic is this one; read the replies as well: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,37781.0.html