Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sneak peak of a district in my game…

magezhilo

I won't release any info about the district itself. All I can say is that the district is meant to go underground and is based off a Death knight-like class.

CC please and rate x/10

[![](http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3963/thrailedistrictentrance.png)](http://img96.imageshack.us/i/thrailedistrictentrance.png/)

hmm, I think it'd be better if you just kinda added patches to the ground so it's not all the same. Like, small areas where it blends into different types of ground instead of it all just being "brown sand." Also some different trees and things

@dg1423:

> hmm, I think it'd be better if you just kinda added patches to the ground so it's not all the same. Like, small areas where it blends into different types of ground instead of it all just being "brown sand." Also some different trees and things

i like that idea.

maybe also things under the sand visible?

Alright, I have a few minutes to kill, so here comes a taste or two of sweet, sweet criticism.

Your palette choice is a bit dull. But the major concern is the contrast between each shade. Theres very little definition or detail. To improve this, you should consider the following-
1\. Have more contrast between the shades. The different shades of white/yellow on the skull are almost identical.
2\. Try to decide on a better palette, perhaps use various constant values or fomulars between determining the shade and hue.
3\. Perhaps experiment with hueblending, or even just tints. Your walls and pavement look very bare, and would look better if they had a rusty red tint, or perhaps even sandy colors between the dents?

You definately need depth, to prevent the scenery from looking flat. On the bottom edge of the wall, it should get darker to show that it is closer to the gound, Do the same with the skull, it will make it look less flat, and a lot better defined.

The back of the tree branches, looks off. The hue seems too be too varied, and there needs to be lighting. Your work shows no existance of a lightsource. The skull hints that it may be slightly to the left, but nothing else confirms this.

@Kreator:

> Alright, I have a few minutes to kill, so here comes a taste or two of sweet, sweet criticism.
>
> Your palette choice is a bit dull. But the major concern is the contrast between each shade. Theres very little definition or detail. To improve this, you should consider the following-
> 1\. Have more contrast between the shades. The different shades of white/yellow on the skull are almost identical.
> 2\. Try to decide on a better palette, perhaps use various constant values or fomulars between determining the shade and hue.
> 3\. Perhaps experiment with hueblending, or even just tints. Your walls and pavement look very bare, and would look better if they had a rusty red tint, or perhaps even sandy colors between the dents?
>
> You definately need depth, to prevent the scenery from looking flat. On the bottom edge of the wall, it should get darker to show that it is closer to the gound, Do the same with the skull, it will make it look less flat, and a lot better defined.
>
> The back of the tree branches, looks off. The hue seems too be too varied, and there needs to be lighting. Your work shows no existance of a lightsource. The skull hints that it may be slightly to the left, but nothing else confirms this.

First off, thank you Kreator for the criticism. Now, the truth is that I don't have a defined palette, when I pixel something I get the colors right then. I used a lot more colors then needed on the skull which is why it's hard to see the lighting and shading. I will try the rusty red tint on the walls and the floor and see if it looks better that way. I never though of making it darker the closer it gets to the ground level, I will try that, in fact I'll most likely be redoing the skull. The lightsource is coming from the upper left.

So…
From what I've been told by all of you is that the area around the skull needs to be more detailed and possibly have more then one kind of tree. Also, it seems that the skull needs to be more defined with the shading and my lightsource needs to be more obvious. I will make these changes soon and will post the final product on my W.I.P. which will most likely be made by the end of this week. Thank you all  ;)

Btw, I tried adding dead grass around and it did not look good, I probably need to try a new color scheme, but it just didn't look good.

I think you should put a crack in the top of the skull, It'll make it look like it's been there for a long time.

And instead of it being a creamy white, I'd make it a more Death looking color, like grey.

Also I would maybe make the eyes glow red or something.

Just helpful thoughts.

@Kreator:

> 1\. Have more contrast between the shades. The different shades of white/yellow on the skull are almost identical.
> 2\. Try to decide on a better palette, perhaps use various constant values or fomulars between determining the shade and hue.
> 3\. Perhaps experiment with hueblending, or even just tints. Your walls and pavement look very bare, and would look better if they had a rusty red tint, or perhaps even sandy colors between the dents?

This. Other than that, the map is a bit too empty, more detail apriciated - maybee some lround level variety?