Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xbox Power Issue

shadowwulf

If you have an xbox can you check your power light for me? when off what color is it?

Why am I asking?

Just wanted to clarify something.
It appears that my xbox is overheating even though I have done everything short of cleaning heat syncs and adding seperate cooling systems.
The unit is a Halo edition so its a few years old.

If i watch movies and shit all day then throw a game in it gets Q1 and Q3 lit up. I seem to be able to control it right now by leaving it off once in a while but i notices something…

The power brick light is orange when the console is off... even if it was only on for 15 minutes(green light at the time) then off for 10 hours.Just wanted to clarify something.
It appears that my xbox is overheating even though I have done everything short of cleaning heat syncs and adding seperate cooling systems.
The unit is a Halo edition so its a few years old.

If i watch movies and shit all day then throw a game in it gets Q1 and Q3 lit up. I seem to be able to control it right now by leaving it off once in a while but i notices something...

The power brick light is orange when the console is off... even if it was only on for 15 minutes(green light at the time) then off for 10 hours.

**PLEASE OBEY STICKIES WHEN RESPONDING**

my xbox 360's light lights up blue because i modded it to do that. (origionally green). it may be over heating due to fan failure in the xbox. open it up (take cover off) and start it up. if the fan runs, then check to see if you can feel any suction or blow, if not, then there ya go. the reason why corner 1 and 3 light up is because of controlers 1 and 3 are connected to the xbox 360.  if the light becomes orange, then it is telling you that something is wrong and needs to be fixed. how many times does it flash befor it goes off or does it keep flashing?

woah… either you seriously dont think i know what im talking about or you dont.
Q1 and Q3 light up and flash red when it crashes. This means overheating usually. I am starting to think the fans have failed as when it does this it should have the fans run until it cools off but they dont run at all... ill keep checking into things...

Do you have it laying down or upright? i would switch it to upright. Also make sure its not on a carpet. You could try getting one of those fan attachments for the back. Anyway my power cord is orange while off. I believe that is the standard colour.

i tried both ways(thats what she said) and it doesnt make a difference. Its on a flat wooden coffee table I am using as a entertainment stand. TV is wall mounted so no need for a large crappy one.

I even tried the "brick trick" where you use something such as a brick to elevate the unit so all fans have plenty of room… no change.

Ok so according to Marsh my power brick color is not an issue.
I just checked and while playing a DVD the fans are blowing properly.
I am reluctant to try opening the case myself. Although its normally a 100 repair with MS... i might be able to swing it as a 3 red light issue which is free... They will clean it anyway so it might work out. only took 2 weeks last time.

I hate to DP but I dont think mod will bump.

I just found this.
http://www.xbox360forum.com/forum/xbox-360-modding/51979-removing-warranty-sticker-without-voiding-warranty.html
Since voiding the warranty to the point that they wont even touch the unit is my main concern, do you guys think this is useful?

If i can safely remove the sticker and then attempt cleaning the unit myself and it fails to resolve the overheating I could just then add the sticker and send it in. That way if i get charged 100 bucks im not too upset.

I have the new sticker they show in the 3rd video so it seems i just need a hair dryer and alot of patience.

@Marsh:

> Do you have it laying down or upright? i would switch it to upright. Also make sure its not on a carpet. You could try getting one of those fan attachments for the back. Anyway my power cord is orange while off. I believe that is the standard colour.

Marsh is god and all, but DON'T put it upright. If it barely wiggles, kiss whatever game you are playing at the time gone. Like for good. Carpet usually doesn't bother mine at all, just make sure the back isn't blocked off. It seems like you have some kind of dust or something in it, or maybe something is about to go out. if you have a warranty then go and use it to your advantage.

I also have a limited edition halo 3 xbox, and it just Red ringed on me, first it was one, but when i started it back up, all three lit up…

This happened about a week ago for me, i thought i was safe from the red ring because it was the halo edition, but i guess not...

I take it you got yours around the time i did, the warrenty was extended 2 years past the original 3, i am getting the fix for free. I just have to wait like a month for it to come back :(

I dont have an xbox so I dont know much about all th q1 stuff… But my friend at works xbox got the rrod, and I fixed it for her using screws, and washers.

Your xbox's heat sync might be making good contact with the processor, so you need to "modify" the clamps that hold the heatsink down. Basically you take the xbox apart, and remove the x clamp that holds the heatsink to the processors, and then you bolt the heatsink to the MB. Its actually pretty easy to do, and it cost me about $5 in parts, $10 because i had to buy a new torx screw driver. Oh you also need thermal paste.

When I took apart the xbox i was able to open it without breaking the seal but you have to be very slow and careful... I like to try to not break seals just for the heck of it. You do not need to buy any special tools to take apart the xbox, you can use a meat thermometer or anything else that has a small pointed tip to pop the tabs.

If you want instructions on how to bolt the heatsinks to the MB i can dig up the ones that i used. the hard part was finding screws, but i eventually found them at LOWES hardware store.

I'll check this thread off and on to see if you need more help.

@SoiWilliamSoi:

> I can't open an xbox without getting angry. I broke my first one's casing. Lol. You can force RROD by putting a towel over it and leaving it for a long time. that's what my friend did. They'll fix it for free after that, and if they can't fix it, they usually replace it. =].

Yea haha i convinced the india tech support to send me a new call of duty xbox if they couldnt fix my Halo Edition

Ive only just took notice of how many limited edition xbox's there is. I don't care if you love Microsoft or what, you have to admit they are some greedy bastards.

All I know is to send it off. *Will sick with the PC and PS3*(I like P's xD)