Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Next programming related book to purchase?

Zetasis

I have recently purchased Visual Basic 6 for dummies because it is in my opinion the absolute beginners guide to VB6 programming. I am now wondering what type of book I should buy to help my with creating games with/without Eclipse/Mirage source? I saw a book on DirectX10 but from what I could tell it required some C++ knowledge and VB6 is really my first language. What do you guys/girls think?

You could only possibly need a book for learning your first language or as a reference for language-specific features.

Once you've learnt one language you'll be able to learn another one in a fraction of a time. The hardest part of programming is the mindset.

VB6 only supports up to DirectX7 from what I understand.  There are online tutorials for both subjects.  I bought Learn C++ in 24 Hours, which was very educational, an overall good book, and also a book I can't remember the name of that focused more on elements of game design and less on actual code.  It was more of a game building Zen book.

The way I learned was by figuring out simple modifications I wanted to make, and making them.  The other thing I did was as started picking it up, people would ask how to do things, and I'd just go ahead and compile them a version of the source with whatever it was they wanted.

Also, when in doubt, I asked Robin.  That worked pretty good in the past, my only rule of thumb is I try not to sound like too much of a jackass when I'm asking him.  That's just me though.

@Robin:

> What people around here call DX7 is actually DirectDraw7, which is pretty much just copying and pasting bits of .BMP files around. ;P

blit.

Eh, I learned some from O'Rielly. Technically you do not need to buy a book. Most of what I learned, I learned programming stuff. In the end, my subscription to the internet ended up being the best investment for learning to program.

@Zetasis:

> I have recently purchased Visual Basic 6 for dummies because it is in my opinion the absolute beginners guide to VB6 programming. I am now wondering what type of book I should buy to help my with creating games with/without Eclipse/Mirage source? I saw a book on DirectX10 but from what I could tell it required some C++ knowledge and VB6 is really my first language. What do you guys/girls think?

Google/[Wikibooks](http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Programming_languages_bookshelf) > Books a.k.a. Google (and Wikibooks) is(/are) your best friend(s).

The only books I actually own are the Intel and AMD Processor specifications, next to some C/C++ books, which I only skimmed through once. Basically, I gave the latter two to a friend. I also have some other books specifically targeted at game development, but most of them remain unread or partially read, or actually skimmed.

Regards,
  Godlord.