Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need to get back into fencing ><

Admiral Refuge

I agree with Anna on Epee; Sabre is pretty nice I suppose, though I fenced foil from when I was about 12-17, then I had to stop lessons for personal reasons – that doesn't mean I didn't stop practicing footwork :)

@Ddunit:

> Try getting a professionally made rapier, a colichemarde, to be precise.

Yeah, I'm saving up for a Rapier.

@Admiral:

> I agree with Anna on Epee; Sabre is pretty nice I suppose, though I fenced foil from when I was about 12-17, then I had to stop lessons for personal reasons – that doesn't mean I didn't stop practicing footwork :)
>
> @Ddunit:
>
> > Try getting a professionally made rapier, a colichemarde, to be precise.
>
> Yeah, I'm saving up for a Rapier.

How much does it cost to be a raper?

Sorry lol.

I wish I did something like this.. seems SOO bad ass. But nah.. I had a neglected childhood.

@Anna:

> So is their a rapier class sport weapon? How is it different from an epee or foil?

You can use a training rapier to practice historical fencing, but that's about it.
@.:Ev1ltyphoon:.:

> I looked at the video and saw what appeared to be 2 people randomly waving 2 bendy iron sticks while moving back and forth really fast…

Yeah, that's pretty much it XD (sept it wasn't exactly "random").

One thing that's ashame in fencing, is the fact that it's too "bendy" now; I think the winning score in last year's Olympics, was, the guy managed to bend the sword around the other guy, and flicked him on the back behind the shoulder – a move that would be physically impossible with a straight blade.

That's a reason I like the foil though; you HAVE to hit straight-on, rather than a bended flick, etc.

I fence now, just did it last night. My teacher is kind of a perv, he is constantly making remarks about the "special equipment" the female fencers in my class had to wear. The girls are always getting stabbed in the breast and squealing, its kee-ra-zee. Still, I like fencing, one of my friends called it the only sport where you can stab someone and hurt them and not get punished.

@Adulese:

> but it all comes down to da cash it costs to hit each other with swords. ;D

Exactly!
I was looking around, and the only place that still teaches fencing in Delaware, is at the Chinese Cultural Center; the $25/year membership isn't too bad, but the $300 for 10 weeks of open fencing and classes, I don't exactly have that at the moment.