Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freezing & lag.

Gus

Hello. My partner and I have been dealing with the freezing on receiving map and the lag when you walk for the longest time now. We haven't been on here in about 5-6 months and are hoping there is finally a correction to fix this. I'm pretty sure our version of eclispe is 2.8 and we need this to be fixed. Any help appreciated.

More into on the lag:
When you walk your character will teleport back a foot or something and continue to do so, which makes it take ages just to get across the map.

Info on Receiving map:
When you go into a door sometimes it will freeze there and not allow you to do anything else, although you will still be able to see people talk etc your game screen just freezes on receiving map.

@kreator

I agree, the computer is not the problem. It's always been like this, and this server has been on multiple PCs. But just for good measure…..http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1134138

We are using 2.8\. It worked fine on 2.7 before I made us both upgrade. If you look back on an old topic I made months ago I'm pretty sure I described the same issue, I'm sure theres a fix we have to do in vb6, so yeah.

@Gus:

> @Kinjiru:
>
> > Hmm ive never heard of ruber banding happening in a 2d game, interisting
>
> Not quite sure I know what you're talking about.

Rubberbanding is when you walk foward, but your character  warps bact to where you were
it hapens to alot of people in MMOS and has to do with their processer
AMDs are really bad at this

@Kinjiru:

> @Gus:
>
> > @Kinjiru:
> >
> > > Hmm ive never heard of ruber banding happening in a 2d game, interisting
> >
> > Not quite sure I know what you're talking about.
>
> Rubberbanding is when you walk foward, but your character  warps bact to where you were
> it hapens to alot of people in MMOS and has to do with their processer
> AMDs are really bad at this

Lack of proof to back-up your statement. "Rubberbanding" is more likely to be caused by the networking and not the processor. One reason why "rubberbanding" could occur is that packets get lost or that the data is out of sync. I don't see what the processor has to do with that, unless the pipeline and multi-tasking has flaws.

@Gus:

> So then what do you suggest? To use a PC without an AMD processor for the server?

An AMD processor usually gets the same performance as their more expensive Intel variant. Besides Intel has failed, hence why they now depend on AMD for the x86-64 technology.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Sir:

> @Kinjiru:
>
> > @Gus:
> >
> > > @Kinjiru:
> > >
> > > > Hmm ive never heard of ruber banding happening in a 2d game, interisting
> > >
> > > Not quite sure I know what you're talking about.
> >
> > Rubberbanding is when you walk foward, but your character  warps bact to where you were
> > it hapens to alot of people in MMOS and has to do with their processer
> > AMDs are really bad at this
>
> Lack of proof to back-up your statement. "Rubberbanding" is more likely to be caused by the networking and not the processor. One reason why "rubberbanding" could occur is that packets get lost or that the data is out of sync. I don't see what the processor has to do with that, unless the pipeline and multi-tasking has flaws.
>
> @Gus:
>
> > So then what do you suggest? To use a PC without an AMD processor for the server?
>
> An AMD processor usually gets the same performance as their more expensive Intel variant. Besides Intel has failed, hence why they now depend on AMD for the x86-64 technology.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Thanks for clearing things up, you clearly know more than i do
I have a dual core AMD and have never had a problem
My fried has really bad ruberbanding and he has a single core AMD
he read on the games forums that the issue was worse on that processor
but you cant trust everything you read

As much as people hate me saying this; Try out Origins.

If the problem happens in both engines then it's a hardware/networking problem. If it only happens in ES then it's a problem with the engine.

I'm not trying to convert you over to my engine, it's just so I can debug your problem.

I thought I should point this out.

This problem only started happening since EE2.7 (or maybe EE2.5).  It was some sort of networking Library that the late EE versions used, I think, as I've never seen this problem in EE1.0 (Baron's) or Total Eclipse..

It is occurring in in EE2.7 and every engine that derived from EE2.7.

@Admiral:

> I thought I should point this out.
>
> This problem only started happening since EE2.7 (or maybe EE2.5).  It was some sort of networking Library that the late EE versions used, I think, as I've never seen this problem in EE1.0 (Baron's) or Total Eclipse..
>
> It is occurring in in EE2.7 and every engine that derived from EE2.7.

But hasn't 2.7 been out forever now? Surely a bug like that would be one of the most important to fix? Well, then I'm going to assume that this isn't fixable right now or is it?

@Gus:

> @Admiral:
>
> > I thought I should point this out.
> >
> > This problem only started happening since EE2.7 (or maybe EE2.5).  It was some sort of networking Library that the late EE versions used, I think, as I've never seen this problem in EE1.0 (Baron's) or Total Eclipse..
> >
> > It is occurring in in EE2.7 and every engine that derived from EE2.7.
>
> But hasn't 2.7 been out forever now? Surely a bug like that would be one of the most important to fix? Well, then I'm going to assume that this isn't fixable right now or is it?

Well, 2.7 came out afew years ago, and it was actually the last "official" release of the EE series (there is EE2.8, but it was made by a user).
To my understanding, it would require rewriting the entire library; I thought it was fixed in ES though, I guess I was wrong.

My solution, is to have an "unfreeze" hotkey – a scripted hotkey with a "Call PlayerWarp(Index, GetPlayerMap(Index), GetPlayerX(Index), GetPlayerY(Index))" in it, so whenever a player is stuck, they hit the "Delete" key and they're unstuck.

@Gus:

> But hasn't 2.7 been out forever now? Surely a bug like that would be one of the most important to fix?

Quite simply; None of the developers for EE knew how to program.

The hanging warps are a very easy fix, and I've posted it several times. Simply do a double-check server side for positions and re-send the player's X & Y if they're desynced.