Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Map of 'Haleshire'

Bobbus

So, after a few hours, I finally finished mapping a small, quaint town named Haleshire! Please enjoy, but also try to give me criticisms if you can. Please and thank you! :D

Exterior: [![](http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/919/haleshireexterior.png)](http://img156.imageshack.us/I/haleshireexterior.png/)

Uploaded with [ImageShack.us](http://imageshack.us)

Interior: [![](http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2869/haleshireinterior.png)](http://img132.imageshack.us/I/haleshireinterior.png/)

Uploaded with [ImageShack.us](http://imageshack.us)

Wow, I love those maps, especially the interior ones!

Two things I'd suggest for the outdoor map is just a bit more elevation and to add some flowers or scenery at the outer part of the city walls.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Edit: I also like the name choice for the outdoor map, although it sounds like a name for a city covered in ice or snow.. Just my thoughts on it.

@SoulBlazer:

> Wow, I love those maps, especially the interior ones!
>
> Two things I'd suggest for the outdoor map is just a bit more elevation and to add some flowers or scenery at the outer part of the city walls.
>
> Anyways, keep up the good work!
>
> Edit: I also like the name choice for the outdoor map, although it sounds like a name for a city covered in ice or snow.. Just my thoughts on it.

Agreed with basically all of this. The outside of the wall is bare compared to inside. It's pretty nice inside, although it could use more buildings and such. There's a nice amount of detail, but it really doesn't feel like a city. I feel like this map by Kreator does a nice job of creating a rather sizable city, while still keeping a high level of detail: http://i50.tinypic.com/2modwty.png

The main difference I notice is use of details. In the link above, there are significant uses of boxes and bags, just like yours, but they seem to flow better in their placement. It appears like between houses, you've just stuck an assortment of detail tiles, whereas Kreator's map put variations in the walls, or utilizes that space for benches or tables and such - things you'd expect a city to have. Boxes are tucked away, not sandwiched between buildings. The biggest difference, though, is the sheer amount of buildings. Kreator's city spans several maps, and has more than 20 buildings.

However, the interior maps are quite nicely done. I like that the houses aren't just squares inside. I don't really have any comparisons, but the houses still feel a bit empty somehow.

I also agree on the naming thing. "Hale" also makes me think of a wintry area, but more importantly, this looks nothing like a "shire", which is a small village. The name, to me, seems to fit a small snowy village more than anything.

All in all, you've got a very nice city on the way, certainly better than most cities I've seen on Eclipse. However, it could be better. For now, though, I'll give it a nice solid 8/10, with great potential for a 10/10.

@Atrophy:

> link=topic=60024.msg634759#msg634759 date=1273105674]
> IMO the city looks FAR to open. Unless you plan to clutter it with npc's its to empty.

This is primarily my point. You've got a lot of details, but so much space, it just comes up short. Either make the city smaller, or add more.

Apologies for uploading this with total neglect for the outside. The outside of the city is now lush with flowers and grass :D

And very nice, Ballie, thanks a ton. I'll try and get to all of that. I'm brand new in the arts of city-mapping, and could use all the help I can get!

And, yeah, Atrophy, the city is full of NPCs. I knew I should've included them in the screenshots ><

Thank's so much, guys.

A rare few people can pull off mapping RMXP into greatness and you are definently up there with them! Amazing maps I love it, also are all the interior rooms on the same map? So you could see people in the smithy etc or not?

Yes, you most certainly can see them! I took these maps without NPCs in them. Yeah, all of these are in the same map. Well, actually, the interior and exterior are both separate maps, but with the transitioning I've created it, you hardly notice in game.

@b0bbus:

> Yes, you most certainly can see them! I took these maps without NPCs in them. Yeah, all of these are in the same map. Well, actually, the interior and exterior are both separate maps, but with the transitioning I've created it, you hardly notice in game.

+ you can use roof tiles

But anyways, Nice maps. The things that bugged _]me_ are:
the houses aren't even close to proportionate in height, you could reach up and put things on your roof easily.
There's way too many lamp posts around.
Why on earth would there be no doors?!? There's just door ways.. XD
your wall is bigger at the back…
you have one tree in the city, and it's not the same as the ones around the city.
the windows are messed up.
the amount of boxes contradicts your statement: "small, quaint town"

There's probably more but, that should keep you busy.
But like I said, nice map!

(I do this to my own maps all the time... It's hell inside my head.)

@gamesucker:

> but anyways, Nice maps. The things that bugged _]me_ are:
> the houses aren't even close to proportionate in height, you could reach up and put things on your roof easily.
> There's way too many lamp posts around.
> Why on earth would there be no doors?!? There's just door ways.. XD
> your wall is bigger at the back…
> you have one tree in the city, and it's not the same as the ones around the city.
> the windows are messed up.
> the amount of boxes contradicts your statement: "small, quaint town"

How's the wall bigger in the back? o_O

I like the "too many lamps." If I get more than one person talking about it, then I'll change them.

And how are the windows messed up?

Everything else, I'll change :D

@b0bbus:

> OH! Good eye! The flags! That makes _perfect_ sense now. Thanks a ton :D

thank you, and your welcome. :P

I was just looking at the outside one but for inside (from left to right):

you have a smoke stack but no oven or anything…
what's with the ladder to nowhere?
the map on the table's meant for walls

Your stairway goes on past the end of the wall, which would mean you would have a staircase sticking out of your house.
Why would he/she/it have pots and pans?
the stairs end at the end of the first floor, but come up to the middle of the second

nothing wrong with that room.

Why do you have different walls on this room?
that sign is meant for a wall.

It seems you haven't made all the insides yet...

The ladder has a warp that takes you back to the outside. See the house in the middle of the map with a door on its roof? It takes you to that.

And I'll fix the staircase, but it was kind of intentional. I'll see what other people say, too.

I'm a little confused on what the rest of that means, but thanks!