Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question for you math geniouses

Gwen

So my angelfish are breeding. Now the cool thing is this is my second breeding pair.

Now for the question.

With 4 fish you have an 87% chance of having 1 breeding pair. Now what were the odds that I go 2 breeding pairs?

If by breeding pair, you mean 1 exclusive male and female, then the chances are significantly less. Assuming a 50-50 chance of each fish being male or female, the combinations break down like so:

MMMM
MMMF
MMFM
MFMM
FMMM
MMFF
MFMF
MFFM
FMMF
FMFM
FFMM
MFFF
FMFF
FFMF
FFFM
FFFF

16 combinations. 14 of 16 have 1 pair, thus an 87.5% chance of having one breeding pair. However, only 6 of the 16 have 2 pairs, which is 37.5%.

Of course, I have no idea how fish breeding patterns work, so with that info, combinations aren't really important. If this is true, however, then there you go.

Well I think balie is on the right track.

There is no way to tell the gender thats why I'm trying to figure out what the odds are.

I have 4 fish total. A few reports say that with 4 fish you have an 87.3% chance of having at least 1 male and one female.

Of course 1 fish is a 50% chance of either sex.

Out of my 4 fish I know 100% that I got a male and female. They already had babies.

So now I have 2 fish unnown. They just laid eggs so now I fairly sure they were m and f but possibly f and f

So if 4 fish gave 87% of 1 m and 1 f
what % would 4 fish giving 2 m and 2 f

Does that make more sence?